Get First Glimpse Of Amnesia Sequel's Horrifying Machine

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Get First Glimpse Of Amnesia Sequel's Horrifying Machine

So who is this Oswald Mandus chap, anyway?

We've some time to wait before the big reveal of thechineseroom's Amnesia: The Dark Descent sequel, A Machine For Pigs. In the meantime, you'll just have to be satisfied with this first glimpse into Machine's horrifying world. Cellars and mansion shots are one thing - you expect dark, twisting environments after playing Amnesia - but what are these street scenes all about?

[gallery=1434]

Dan Pinchbeck of thechineseroom knows, but he's not telling, at least not yet. But it's not just about the environments, evocative though they may be. As Pinchbeck points out, "horror is at its most horrifying because you empathize with the characters," which means that the main character, wealthy industrialist Oswald Mandus - and, by extension, his family - will be crucial to Machine's story. The game will focus on Mandus and his relationship with his children, using that as a hook to draw you in. "There's a much greater integration into society going on with Mandus," Pinchbeck says, "and that was partially about getting a different emotional tone to the game."

Still no word on an exact release date for this horror title, but its estimated release in 3rd quarter 2013 isn't that far off. You'll soon find out what's out on those streets, and what's hidden in - or beneath - Mandus' mansion.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Those are very dark screenshots...

Also, is it just me, but when I click one of the images it seems to stretch across the Escapist's border and become blurry?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Ewww it's so jagged...I mean in the one screenshot that's bright enough to see anything in. I thought this was a point and click. I'm glad I'm wrong though.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:

Also, is it just me, but when I click one of the images it seems to stretch across the Escapist's border and become blurry?
Mine does this and stretches about behind the side bar, so a big portion of the screenshot isn't visible.

Anyway, interesting change of direction to put you out on the streets. One criticism Amnesia got a lot was how repetetive it's environments were (though to be fair, a really old stone mansion is probably bound to have repetition). Wonder if they'll be able to keep the open bits as tense and scary as the claustrophobic ones.

Anyway, I look forward to once again having the piss scared out of me!

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Uh, last I heard the game was set for release in Q2. Did they announce it would be pushed back(again) in some article?

Neat screenshots, although it's hard to make much of anything out. I mean that's kinda the point, but still.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
this comes to mind when i saw those screenshots:

anyway to turn up the brightness so we can actually see whats in the shots? I mean i know darkness is supposed to be scary but this is ridiculous

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Karloff said:
So who is this Oswald Mandus chap, anyway?
A reference to [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias"]this guy[/a]?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Looks good, can't wait to actually be playing it turning it off in terror.

Off-topic but the escapist did that massive revamp of the website a few months which was nice and all but why do we still have this godawful picture browser? Can that please be changed soon to something less clunky.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Someone took that question from Riddick a little bit too literally when they were taking the screen caps it seems.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
UMM the pictures aren't loading they are just blank with a little symbol in the middle.....is it just me or is anyone else having this problem?
Edit:I can see them now........well barely god it's dark-sure less is more sometimes but I should still be able to see what I'm playing.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I dont know... I dont agree really with

' As Pinchbeck points out, "horror is at its most horrifying because you empathize with the characters," '

I dont really recall being that concerned about Daniel in Amnesia, I was more scared by the ambiance, the oppressive atmosphere, never seeing anything but hearing ... it everywhere.
Daniel story was intriguing, and suitably macabre and horrifying but didnt really 'scare' me or get me invested in the story as much as the creaking and groaning of the house, the footsteps, the dust falling from the ceiling, the gusts of wind... that stuff is the art of horror.

In my opinion of course.

Amnesia did it perfectly, I hope Pinchbeck doesnt sacrifice that glorious ambiance to make a better character story.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
The Plunk said:
Dark, Victorian streets seem almost perfect for a horror setting.

Mr. Birling Oswald Mandus sounds like a pretty interesting character too.
I see your literature reference and I raise you a high five.

OT: It would probably be scary if I could actually see whats happening in the screenshots. Still the trailers have been amazing so far.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:

very dark indeed. not impressed with these, and no you are not the only one whos border is in front of the pic and makes it all blurry.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Dogstile said:
What exactly am I supposed to be looking at here? I can't see shit.
Most of the screenshots are sized incorrectly, a large chunk of them are outside of the frame.

Try resizing your browser window, you'll see a larger percent of the screenshots then.