Get Your Very Own Marcus Fenix With Gears 3 Epic Edition

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Get Your Very Own Marcus Fenix With Gears 3 Epic Edition

If you have $150 lying around, like Gears of War and want Marcus Fenix glaring at you from your desktop, then you may just be in luck.

Gears of War 3 is Epic Games' grand finale to the saga of angry-scowling-beefneck-space-marine Marcus Fenix, and the North Carolina-based studio wants to send the COGs out with a bang. And to do that, it will be releasing not one but two collectors' editions of the game - as is customary these days.

Epic revealed the Limited and Epic Editions [http://epicgames.com/community/2011/05/gears-of-war-3-limited-and-epic-editions-announced/] of Gears 3 on its community site, and fans of the series should find the package attractive. The Limited Edition, which will run you $80, contains some nice Gears-centric goodies that focus on Marcus' father Adam:

[blockquote]*An Octus Award Box and Octus Service Medal - Replicas of the honors bestowed on Adam Fenix, Marcus's father, for his work on the Hammer of Dawn.

*Exclusive Unlockable Adam Fenix Multiplayer Character - Each Octus Service Medal replica is engraved with a unique Xbox LIVE code that is the only way to unlock Adam Fenix in multiplayer.

*A fabric COG Flag - Proud colors that once flew above the House of Sovereigns.

*The personal effects of Adam Fenix, including his "Last Will and Testament," the initial Hammer of Dawn schematic, and other Fenix family mementos.[/blockquote]

I'm just waiting for some gamer to get this, and use the included schematics to build themselves a working Hammer of Dawn. Orbital death machines for all!

[gallery=244]

The real deal, though, is the aptly-named "Epic Edition," which will set gamers back a whopping $150. The Epic Edition includes everything in the Limited Edition, plus some new treats:

[blockquote]*A Limited Edition Marcus Fenix Statue - Designed by Epic Games Art Director Chris Perna and expertly crafted by the artisans at Triforce, this fine PVC statue collectible makes the ultimate living room centerpiece for any true Gears fan.

*The Art and Design of Gears of War by Tom Bissell - Through unprecedented access to the Epic Games team, acclaimed author Tom Bissell (Extra Lives) gives readers an incisive behind-the-scenes glimpse into one of the most celebrated sagas in video game history with 96 pages of interviews, photos, concept artwork and more.

*Infected Omen Weapon Pack - Custom multiplayer skins for the game's five starting weapons; Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Sawed-off Shotgun, and Gnasher Shotgun.[/blockquote]

I'm sure some people care about the weapon skins, and the design/art book sounds like something that's above and beyond the normal "art book" for most games, but it's the statue that's the real kicker here. You can see it in the video above and to the right, and it looks damn good.

Really, given that most statues of this (apparent) quality will run you more than a hundred bucks anywhere, you don't need to think of it as paying more for a collector's edition of a game. Rather, think of it as buying a nifty statue and getting a AAA-class shooter thrown in, free!

(Epic Games [http://epicgames.com/community/2011/05/gears-of-war-3-limited-and-epic-editions-announced/] - thanks, DBlackny!)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I knew I should have messaged you about this one. I passed the information as soon as it was revealed, onto another staff member who posts articles.

It is a rather nice special edition, I have to say. Although I'd prefer Cog tags rather than the Octus Canon (wouldn't have been hard either as Cog tags would have been smaller, and therefore, cheaper).

The first very special edition I have ever considered getting for a game. Normally I go for the regular or "slightly better" version.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Preordering Epic Edition this weekend. That Marcus statue will go nicely with my Nobel Team statue and soon to get Duke Nukem bust.

I also hear if you preorder it from Amazon.com you get an exclusive Locust skin "Savage Kantus." *drools with anticipation*

Another store that I unfortunately forgot its name(not Gamestop) also gets an exclusive COG skin "Mechanic Baird."

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Preordering Epic Edition this weekend. That Marcus statue will go nicely with my Nobel Team statue and soon to get Duke Nukem bust.

I also hear if you preorder it from Amazon.com you get an exclusive Locust skin "Savage Kantus." *drools with anticipation*

Another store that I unfortunately forgot its name(not Gamestop) also gets an exclusive COG skin "Mechanic Baird."
BestBuy gets Mechanic Baird.
Amazon gets Savage Kantus.
GameStop will no doubt get something, theory at the moment is Commando Dom.

UK and the rest of the world hasn't any confirmation of these yet, but we usually get the same things. Except when Amazon decide to be pricks and become the only store to not offer pre-order bonuses. They really are screwing themselves over with game sales.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Legion said:
BestBuy gets Mechanic Baird.
Amazon gets Savage Kantus.
GameStop will no doubt get something, theory at the moment is Commando Dom.

UK and the rest of the world hasn't any confirmation of these yet, but we usually get the same things. Except when Amazon decide to be pricks and become the only store to not offer pre-order bonuses. They really are screwing themselves over with game sales.
Ah yes it was BestBuy for the Baird skin.

No preorder bonuses from Amazon? Shoot and I'm still debating if I should go with them because I want the Savage Kantus. (its my favorite character to use online)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
John Funk said:
Really, given that most statues of this (apparent) quality will run you more than a hundred bucks anywhere, you don't need to think of it as paying more for a collector's edition of a game. Rather, think of it as buying a nifty statue and getting a AAA-class shooter thrown in, free!
Dammit, stop making the price sound reasonable. Now I'm probably going to have to go change my preorder.

exp. 99

Mar 31, 2010
Already preordered. Fingers crossed that this stuff is as good as they're claiming, or Imma be pissed.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Ah yes it was BestBuy for the Baird skin.

No preorder bonuses from Amazon? Shoot and I'm still debating if I should go with them because I want the Savage Kantus. (its my favorite character to use online)
For some bizarre reason the UK Amazon are cutting down on the offers they are making for games. I think it is due to the hassle of emailing people codes and so on. They did it for New Vegas, but didn't for Dragon Age 2.

I think a lot of problems occurred with people not getting their New Vegas code (although al UK shops had issues) and so they decided it was too much trouble. I may be wrong, but either way I have my game pre-ordered and I will stick with it regardless of what the offers are as I am getting the Epic Edition and want to make sure I get it.

We will have to wait and see, we always get told what the pre-order bonuses are later than everyone else.

exp. 99 said:
Already preordered. Fingers crossed that this stuff is as good as they're claiming, or Imma be pissed.
I don't understand. You can see what it is up above, so why would you need your fingers crossed as you can already decide for yourself on whether it is good enough?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
That really does look fantastic. If I had an Xbox (and more money) I'd buy that in an instant. I'm a sucker for in-universe items like the medal and the Will.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
If I was gonna preorder this game I'd definitely go with the limited edition...but Im not...so whatever

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Definitely a purchase for me.

Marcus will join Ezio as the other figurine to have graced my domain - and amongst only three special editions that I'll have purchased.

The other one being FFXIII special for conversation purchase.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I won't foolishly hold my breath, but I really wish Epic would pull a Fable 3 and release Gears of War 3 for the PC. Common Microsoft, there was this whole talk that you were going to revamp Games for Windows Live and actually give support to the PC, and Epic actually helped release Bulletstorm to the PC. If you both want continued love from your PC fanbase release Gears 3 to the PC. Though I'm sure that as soon as someone brings it up Cliffy B will scowl, pick up his lancer replica, and call all PC gamers pirates and brag how he is going to saw them into pieces....sigh.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i already have noble team staring at me on my desk, i don't need anymore sci-fi protagonists.

they might get in fights.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I got so psyched about this when I watched that video, and then I realised my 360 is dead.