Getting a 2GB SD Card

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I want to get a couple of 2GB SD cards (one for Project M, the other for Brawl Minus), and I would prefer if I could get them from a store. Is there any place that still sells them on shelves?

P.S. In case anyone get the wrong idea (which is depressingly common for me on these forums, must be because I word things crappily), I have no problem with e-commerce (hell, I spent a lot on Amazon alone). I would just prefer to get my cards ASAP.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
There are a lot of places you can purchase a 2GB micro SD card.
Unfortunately we don't know where you live so I can exactly tell you specifically which store or the price. I live in Australia so I could just head down to any old tech shop like Officeworks or JB hi-fi or something.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
So it has to be a Micro SD card? It can't be a Micro SDHC card? I ask because the difference between Micro SD and SDHC in terms of cost is minuscule overall. You can get a 4GB Micro SDHC card from Walmart for like six bucks. I mean, they're everywhere. Even Walgreens has them, and I'm sure there are some 24-hour locations near you [http://www.walgreens.com/storelocator/find.jsp?tab=store%20locator&requestType=locator].

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Frezzato said:
So it has to be a Micro SD card? It can't be a Micro SDHC card? I ask because the difference between Micro SD and SDHC in terms of cost is minuscule overall. You can get a 4GB Micro SDHC card from Walmart for like six bucks. I mean, they're everywhere. Even Walgreens has them, and I'm sure there are some 24-hour locations near you [http://www.walgreens.com/storelocator/find.jsp?tab=store%20locator&requestType=locator].
I didn't mean Micro SD, I meant regular SD cards. Updated just now.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
I didn't mean Micro SD, I meant regular SD cards. Updated just now.
Oh yeah, those should be at Walgreens. Well, certain brands [http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sandisk-sdhc-card/ID=prod6027181-product]. The full size SD card seems to be going out of style though, probably due to non-Apple phones with micro SD expansion slots. But they're still everywhere it seems.

Huh. I didn't know SD cards were waterproof.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Frezzato said:
The full size SD card seems to be going out of style though, probably due to non-Apple phones with micro SD expansion slots. But they're still everywhere it seems.
Well, in the photo/film industry they're still going strong. Most DSLR's primarily use SD now and if they keep expanding the capacity of the SD cards (which has stalled recently) it could foreseeably stick around for years to come. 4K cameras and what not will inevitably develop larger solid state drives due to the massive sizes of those files but that's to be expected. I don't think we'll be seeing 4 TB SD cards for a little bit so swappable harddrive mags are the immediate future.

OT: Well, I have 512MB SD card here, you want it OT? :p

Otherwise check the oldest drug/general stores you can find. Places like that hold onto electronic stock long after its been surpassed in my experience. Found a drug store that still sold some very early Kodak digital cameras that were 2 megapixels only.

The horror! XD

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I get my SD Cards for my DSLR from Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples... pretty much any department store that has an electronics department should have them.

Edit: Actually I just remembered I even bought them from CVS and Walgreens before when I needed a replacement card and didn't know where the local Walmart was. So they are nearly completely everywhere.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I instantly knew what you needed it for upon seeing the title. heh.

As it's such a specific requirement, the availability is totally down to luck. It has to be 2GB at most and NOT SDHC. Suggestions so far are solid (try the sort of places that might have out of date tech) but to be honest, it might well be quicker getting it online anyway.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I work in a camera shop two days a week. The only card maker I know of that still distributes an SD card is Promaster. I'm not saying that is the only company making them, but they are the only ones we can source. Promaster are an American company, but I don't know which stores carry them.

Edit: 2gb Promaster SD cards are all SD not SDHC BTW.

We even still stock XD cards. Though as a rule if your camera needs XD cards, you need a new camera.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
tricky-crazy said:
As soon as I saw the title I knew it was for Project M :p

Does anyone in your family bought a photo camera recently ? Those usually comes with SD cards that don't have much space in them. That's where my friend got he's SD card to play Project M.

Will it be the first time you'll play Project M ? What character do you main/think you'll main ?
Dr. Thrax said:
2GB only?
The mod only support SD cards of 2GB or less sadly. If you put the mod on a 32 GB SD card it just won't work.
It isn't the first time actually, I play it quite a bit on campus during free time. My main is DK, and my secondaries are Link, Bowser, and Ike.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Frezzato said:
The thing is, for my purposes, it has to be 2GB.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'd say a store that specalises in camera's, as others have said SD cards aren't used in phones much anymore but are still the standard for DSLR's so your more likely to find a 2GB SD memory card from one of those stores, even if it's just some old stock they haven't sold yet.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
Can you use a 2gig micro SD card and put it in a SD adapter, or does it have to be a SD card?

If not, then there is another option for you.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
DarklordKyo said:
Frezzato said:
The thing is, for my purposes, it has to be 2GB.
buy a bigger card, shove it in your computer and delete the partition table, then make a new 2gb partition. you now have a 2gb sd card

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
seris said:
buy a bigger card, shove it in your computer and delete the partition table, then make a new 2gb partition. you now have a 2gb sd card
huh, how do I do so?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
seris said:
huh, how do I do so?
I'm not sure what the easiest way to do that under Windows/Mac is, but it's dead easy with Linux - use GParted (a lot of times it comes packaged already) or KDE Partition Manager (if the distro uses KDE, it would probably have this instead) and...just do it. Really, there isn't much to it - attach the SD card, open the appropriate application, delete the partition table (something like /dev/mem0c0c) and create a new one (it would be an option somewhere there) which is 2 gig. Then press Apply.

Can't give the proper steps because I don't have anything to check with what those steps are. I can try later tonight, however. What I can say is that you can get Linux on a flash drive and try, if you wish - you just need Linux Live USB Installer for Windows (a.k.a. LiLi) and a Linux image (I'd suggest Mint - get Cinnamon, if you're wondering which version to get).

Actually, thinking about it now - for purely Windows way of modifying the partition table, you can try BootIce. I know I've got to use it after LiLi[footnote]since that also modifies the partition table on a flash drive and since Windows is dumb it thinks that for a flash drive first partition = all space, so you can't format it back properly[/footnote] if I was on Windows.

Also,
DarklordKyo said:
P.S. In case anyone get the wrong idea (which is depressingly common for me on these forums, must be because I word things crappily), I have no problem with e-commerce (hell, I spent a lot on Amazon alone). I would just prefer to get my cards ASAP.
Still, why not just get them from Amazon? You could have had them delivered by now - with a quick search on the USA Amazon, I can see some for under 10 dollars with free delivery. Some even Prime eligible. You can get them on the next day.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
DarklordKyo said:
seris said:
huh, how do I do so?
there are a lot of simple to use partitioning tools on windows, and partitioning a device is very easy.