Getting a 3ds, some help please?

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Good evening dear escapists.

Im beset with the following problem currently, Im buying myself a Nintendo 3ds (Im really really..interested in those Persona games and Pokemon haha...so I need this..like...now.)

No its not an impulse buy, Ive been thinking about it for the last year, and sorta always shoved a bit of money on the side so mabye one day I could buy myself one.

Now comes the hard Part.

As written above, I thoroughly enjoyed all the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games. I also loved playing pokemon (and to this day I still do Nuzlocke challenges for my red and emerald version.)

So, first off, X/Y or OR/AS? What do you all think and why? Any help would this would be greatly appreciated hehe :) Im very strongly leaning towards X/Y seeing as..as spoken, I have the emerald which I still play on my GBA quite often.

Secondly, Persona Q, if anyone has played it (without spoilers please) would you reccommend it?

Last but not least, what are some of your fav games for that system that youd reccommend? I really do quite enjoy fiddling around with my gba so..I think it can easily be said that I will quite throoughly enjoy this aswell. The usual Genre I most thoroughly enjoy are RPG's, yet I still love playing others. Any tips for games you thought were awesome would greatly help me.

I thank you all for your answers and cant wait to read them, thanks a bunch :).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well lucky for you!....I haven't played any of those.

Did I say lucky? I meant not lucky (although give it a few minutes; there are going to be people far more helpful than I incoming).

As to what I have played for my 3DS, I have played:

-Bravely Default (currently playing); JRPG
-Devil Survivor; Overclocked (That's a Shin Meamamilamidingdong game, right?); Tactical RPG
-Fire Emblem: Awakening; Tactical RPG

I was not a huge fan of Overclocked (although in its defense, I didn't know a very simple thing in until about halfway through which probably would have helped). The game itself was good and I don't regret playing it but some of those boss fights are just stupid-hard. Like...seriously....STUPID hard. Namely two of them towards the end that I've bitched about on this board in the past about but I will refrain now just in case of spoilers...

I was also not a huge fan of Awakening. I like the FE series and I've played through all the handheld versions since Sacred Stone and I thought that the one thing FE games did so well in the past was just awful in this one. The AI is just kind of pitiful and depressingly bad that tries to make up for being so stupid with cheap game-play like the "Ambushes". Like Overclocked, I played through it all and I don't regret it so it did SOMETHING right...

Now Bravely Default is a game I really am liking. Traditional JRPG with a traditional story, traditional characters, traditional game-play; everything is pretty much a Final Fantasy-type game (back when Final Fantasy was...you know...good). The game-play has a neat wrinkle in the "Brave" and "Default" system (where you can skip turns to build up extra attacks in one turn) that could be really cool. I'm about 10 hours into it and I'm seeing some potential in that system, though I have had minimal need of it so far. Shaping up to be an excellent game.

So even though I couldn't help you with your specific game requests, I hope something I said in here was useful. As I stated, I didn't hate any of these games (and I know I'm in the minority in saying Overclocked and Awakening are good at best) so you're good if you have a RPG itch with any of these.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Persona Q is the stuff IMHO. If you've ever played an Etrian Odyssey game, it's that but with SEES and the Investigation Team as your guild. I'm currently about a floor away from the final boss and having a blast with it every day on breaks at work. As you said, you're a MegaTen guy, so you'll feel right at home with 3DS. Being competitors you wouldn't think it, but it and the Vita compliment each other as they're each good for different things.
As far as what I'd recommend, SMT IV almost drags mainline SMT into Persona territory with Jonathan, Isabeau and Walter tagging along for most of the game. Soul Hackers is great if you can get used to the use of Magnetite. Bravely Default is the shit, 'nuff said. The 3ds Professor Layton games are as fun as ever, as is his crossover with Pheonix Wright. Dual Destinies is extremely dark, but comes to a great conclusion.
Sorry for running off at the mouth, er... keyboard. Point is, there are plenty great games and I think your decision is sound. Enjoy

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Lilikins said:

Im beset with the following problem currently, Im buying myself a Nintendo 3ds (Im really really..interested in those Persona games and Pokemon haha...so I need this..like...now.)

No its not an impulse buy, Ive been thinking about it for the last year, and sorta always shoved a bit of money on the side so mabye one day I could buy myself one.

Now comes the hard Part.

As written above, I thoroughly enjoyed all the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games. I also loved playing pokemon (and to this day I still do Nuzlocke challenges for my red and emerald version.)

So, first off, X/Y or OR/AS? What do you all think and why? Any help would this would be greatly appreciated hehe :) Im very strongly leaning towards X/Y seeing as..as spoken, I have the emerald which I still play on my GBA quite often.

Secondly, Persona Q, if anyone has played it (without spoilers please) would you reccommend it?

Last but not least, what are some of your fav games for that system that youd reccommend? I really do quite enjoy fiddling around with my gba so..I think it can easily be said that I will quite throoughly enjoy this aswell. The usual Genre I most thoroughly enjoy are RPG's, yet I still love playing others. Any tips for games you thought were awesome would greatly help me.

Have you ever actually played a Persona game? They're basically cross between a dungeon-crawl and a date simulator; they have a huge amount of personality. Shin Megami Tensei games, on the other hand, tend to be quite grim, but the same sort of game.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Persona Q is good, but if you're looking for a game similar to P3/P4, you'll be disappointed- it's got the awesome character interactions, but no social links or anything else to do outside of exploring dungeons and fighting. I'm a few hours into it at the moment, so it might get better/worse later on.

If you like SMT, then Shin Megami Tensei 4 is a must-buy. Aside from the annoying way the game chooses your ending for you (I got locked into Law without realizing, which sucks 'cause the Law ending is terribad) it's a classic like Nocturne was- hard but fair gameplay, a dark story and a pretty interesting moral choice system. Be aware that if you're in the EU you'll have to download it off the Nintendo Store, but it's cheaper to make up for it.

While we're on the topic of SMT, both Devil Survivor games are worth a play. The Devil Survivor 1 remake has been out for a while (though I can't speak for whether or not it improves the game in any way, having not played it) but the original was very good. The sequel was in my eyes a vast improvement and one of the better SMT titles, and it has a 3DS remake coming soon.

I would personally recommend X/Y over OR/AS, simply because they're a region you've not played before. Plus, if you've played Emerald recently you might be disappointed. All of the improvements Emerald made, like changes to the gym rosters and story enhancements were left out. Plus in X/Y you get to dress up your character.

I'll second Bravely Default- it's the best single player Final Fantasy for a long time. It plays like a classic Square JRPG in the style of FFV or FFIV. Awesome. Fire Emblem: Awakening is worth a try too if you're into tactical RPG's- the story and characters are a bit bland but the gameplay is top notch. I'd also recommend Tales of the Abyss if you've not played it before- the gameplay is solid but the characters and story surprised me with their depth.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
I'd go with XY over ORAS. It's the most recent in terms of "new" games and plot points from there inform some of the ones that got added to the remakes.

As for other games, hate to be a broken record but I'd have to recommend Devil Survivor Overclocked and Fire Emblem Awakening. If you like Pokemon and SMT you'll probably like those games.

Super Smash Bros is also very fun depending on how you feel about mascot fighters.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I recommend the Etrian Odyssey series; 2/3 are out on the DS, 4/Untold (remake of 1) are out on the 3DS.
If you remember unforgiving old-school RPG's where you take a party of classes into a dungeon and have to map it out with graph paper, this will be up your alley.

Also, I got Fantasy Life and have really been enjoying it, with a sort of Rune Factory vibe.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I will be honest here, I want to buy N3DS for other games, so not a big help here.
Phoenix Wright games are my butter of life.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
The Phoenix Wright game is a visual novel/puzzle game of sorts.
Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the greatest RPG's of the generation.
Kid ICarus Uprising is a fun game, but you have to let the somewhat awkward control scheme grow on you a bit. Once you do, you'll realize how genius it is.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Persona Q and Etrian Odyssey are great. Monster Hunter is a real blast. And as Objectable said, Kid Icarus Uprising is amazing (My fave game on the system) once you get used to the controls (It's not THAT hard to do, don't let people screech at you otherwise. It's tricky at first, but like anything with a little practice, it's all good). Lastly, Smash Bros and X&Y are great as well (Smash needs friends to enjoy it with though)

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
I'd honestly wait, I just bought a "new" 3ds (I'm Australian) and the differences while minor greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the system, persona q is a must buy if you are a fan of 3/4/.

But even if you decide the new features aren't worth it waiting will give the "old"3ds a cheaper price no doubt, and a cheaper price means more games to play.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Above have answered your main questions however if you want some other suggestions in some different genres?
(that I have personally enjoyed)
RPG
If you can get ahold of a copy of Tales of the abyss is an epic game if you haven't played the original. It is more action orientated in its gameplay but the story is solid.
Plus legend of zelda games are worth a try.

Puzzle/Platformer
I got kirby as well and if you like mario/kirby for a change of pace from the strategy heavy games kirby was pretty fun.
I have not played a ads mario.

Life simulator
Harvest moon:a new beginning. If you like farming simulators, this is a great game and I feel currently one of the best in the series, especially on a handheld.
Fantasy life- said above. Similar to harvest moon however the multiple job system is so fun.

misc.
Monster hunter. Might want to hold off until 4 ultimate comes out. If you haven't heard of monster hunter basically you accept quests earn mony and carve monsters for materials, make armour, weapon etc. Then go hunt some more.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
You probably should wait until the "New" 3DS is available in your area, or at least until they announce the definite release date to see if you want to want until then. Prices on all of the old hardware will drop shortly after. Also, get an XL of whatever you want, if you can. It can still fit in pockets, yet is much easier on the eyes.

Now about games. I can't recommend any RPGs specific to the 3DS that haven't already been mentioned. But, every 3DS owner should at least try LoZ: A Link Between Worlds. It's not a remake of A Link to the Past, like some critics say. (Though, they do share similar stories, world maps and dual world scenarios.) The new item system is refreshing take on the series that is very non-linear and makes the game arguably the best Zelda to come out in a decade.

Shantea and the Pirate's Curse is a good action-adventure platformer available on the e-shop. The gameplay is like a side scrolling Zelda, except with a genie girl who uses her hair like a whip. It has more responsive controls compared to the previous Shantea games, so it's a good place to start. Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2 are also good puzzle games made by Shantea's creator, WayForward. Those are also only $6 each (at least on the US eshop).

Super Mario 3D Land and Sonic Generations 3DS are pretty good for quick picks ups with no need to remember what your next plan in game was. I didn't really like Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, but it might not hurt to check out, if you like rhythm games.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
hmm, lots of games haha :)

The prob was (here in Germany) because of after christmas sales etc, and through swapping money to a different currency, I was able to net myself a 3ds xl for 120 euros (not including a game). Im doubting I wouldve been able to get a 'new 3ds' for that same price :)

nevertheless though, I nabbed Pokemon Y after you have all said I should grab that generation instead (thank you for that again :) )

I have seen Phoenix Wright quite a few times but its just sorta..not my cup of tea Ill say. Donno, it just cant pull me in but thank you nevertheless for the recommendation.

Reed Spacer said:
[Have you ever actually played a Persona game? They're basically cross between a dungeon-crawl and a date simulator; they have a huge amount of personality. Shin Megami Tensei games, on the other hand, tend to be quite grim, but the same sort of game.
As stated above, yes I have. Hence the reason I was asking if others would reccomend that Persona Q game. For instance I myself absolutely adored Persona 4, but Persona 2 was just..donno it couldnt pull me in. And for the life of me I still find Devil Summoner 2 to be one of the most fun and interesting games out there hehe. (both PS2 era but..ah well :) )

Ill defo be taking a look at Bravely Default then, seeing as many of you reccomend it, and Monster hunter aswell.
Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey Ill also take a proper look at then aswell.

Id sincerely like to thank you all for your recommendations again :) Ive got 1 week of vacation left so...Ive got some time to maybe grab another one and have some proper playing time before I get back to work hehe.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
For the first question of the choice between X and Y or ORAS, I think ORAS is better, but you said you still have a working copy of Emerald, so I guess I would recommend X and Y. ORAS has more to it, and it feels more fleshed out, especially the post game content which was really lacking in X and Y.

For other games, I highly recommend Zelda: Link Between Worlds if you like Zelda games. I actually like it more than Link to the Past, which used to be my favorite 2D Zelda game before ALBW showed its pretty face.

I also really recommend Fire Emblem Awakening, it has so much going for it. One of my favorite games of all time now.

If you like Ocarina of Time, I would recommend the 3DS remake as well. It's an excellent remake all on its own.

Super Mario 3D Land is really good, but I would recommend 3D World on Wii U over it any day. The same goes for Mario 7 versus Mario Kart 8. If you have absolutely no interest in a Wii U, then they would be good games to get if you are into them in the first place.

The same could be said for Smash Bros. 3DS. If you want to play the new Smash, but have no interest in a Wii U, the 3DS version is good enough.

Kirby Triple Deluxe is a lot of fun too. If you are into Kirby games, I recommend it.

Kid Icarus Uprising, is fun, and it has a lot of charm, but the controls are so bad. Especially for left-handed people like me.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
I haven't played either of the games you listed but I feel it is imperative that every 3DS owner play A Link Between Worlds. It's easily the best Zelda in almost a decade and one of the best games on the system.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
For the Pokemon games, it depends. If you want it to be very easy go with X and Y mainly cos of the healers are every route/ cave etc while OR/AS is mostly faithful to the original R/S game. Also look up the Pokemons in those version to see which one you liked the most althought it doesn't matter too much thanks to Wondertrade.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would agree with going with Pokemon X/Y over OR/AS, simply because X/Y is the Gen that made the Pokemon series awesome again. The game is also HUGE, with large areas to explore and a regional Pokedex with 450+ Pokemon. You will definitely be entertained with this Gen for many months.

Sadly, I must admit that I am late to the Persona party and have yet to play Persona Q (I still need to finish Persona 4). However, I've heard a lot of good things and it includes elements and characters form both Persona 3 and 4, so I doubt that fans of the series will be disappointed.

I also concur with other aforementioned RPGs like Fire Emblem: Awakening and Bravely Defaul, as they are both fun, challenging, and gorgeous to look at.

I would also recommend (seeing as how you seem to enjoy playing on older handhelds) several titles from the Nintendo eShop to download.
These include titles that I was very fond of or interested when I was younger, but was unable to purchase them until now:
-Donkey Kong (GB)
-Shantae series (GBC, DSi, eShop)
-Mighty Switch Force series (DSi, eshop)
-Megaman Xtreme series (GBA)
-Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)

Fyrana

May 24, 2014
Lilikins said:

Now comes the hard Part.

I am a major fan of the Etrian Odyssey titles and Persona Q is quite literally just an Etrian Odyssey game with a Persona Skin. I enjoyed it greatly, but if you are expecting another P3/P4 then don't pick it up.

I would suggest that you pick up OR/AS over X/Y as, while X/Y added quite a few really nice pokemon and I loved some of its new features, most of them are now in OR/AS and it is just the better game.

Other games to pick up:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (when it releases).
Bravely Default (My favorite game of 2014, a love letter to classic Final Fantasy games).
Ace Attorney Collection
Legend of Zelda (all the games for it)
Fire Emblem: Awakening.