Getting Braces - What to expect?

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
you wont be able to eat solid food for about 3 day that was how it was for me when i got them

cWg | Konka

Feb 9, 2010
EOD Tech said:
This topic must be utterly alien to all our British members.
I was just thinking why do yanks think perfect teeth are so important? makes people look really evil like aliens or robots. most people i know have teeth like vandalised graveyards and its hasnt held them back or had any bad effect on there lives

Penguinness

May 25, 2010
Well, having 3 teeth removed was definately not nice. Then the plastic thing I had to have on my top set was a pain, mainly just akward having to remove it before eating, especially if you're out with people a lot.

Then the braces themselves, expect to get a pretty large headache whenever you go to get them checked every few weeks. Also expect to have to wait an hour to get in to get them checked every few weeks. Sometimes the wire can come off and stab into your gums, which isn't nice if it's over the christmas period and you can't get an appointment. Then the rubber bands are annoying.

Then upmost dissapointment as I realised I had to wear retainers for ages.

Then a little bit more dissapointment when it's all complete, and after a year or more the front teeth on the bottom jaw are a bit out of place.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Hi, i used braces for a couple of years. It was worth it. You might experience some pain in the first 2 or 3 days. Afterwards, you´ll be fine. Try to eat stuff like soup on the first 2 days.

madeleinehatter

Mar 8, 2010
Well, everyone's pretty much said what you can expect. One thing I would add though: be sure that you really, REALLY need braces before you get them. They cost a ridiculous amount of money and discomfort, and sometimes aren't really necessary.

Example: Shortly after I got my braces taken off, my orthodontist was sued by someone else for malpractice and fraud, because she'd been giving people braces who didn't need them (myself included).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Here are some advices once you got use to wearing them for a few weeks or so.

1 If you going to have regular appointment to have the braces tighten or involve your teeth being slowly move. Do not eat any hard food like a apple or cucumber (not raw, I mean if it was part of the meal). It will hurt like hell chewing it since your teeth are in the process in being slowly moved.

2 Be careful when you eating lettuces because they get tangle in your braces while chewing. Before you swallow, use your tongue to feel if the lettuce is stuck in the braces. I nearly choke twice when they get stuck.

3 Depending if they give you the options of given any colour rubber band use for your braces, go nuts with it! Oh also don't give a danm what anyone say about your choice of colours
One of my mate told me that I was girlish for choosing a turquoise colour however I made a comeback when I notice the girl that he claim he didn't had a crush on was also wearing turquoise colour braces.
Oh glow in the dark rubber band is over rated since they don't glow properly no matter how many lights you shine onto it.

4 Don't smile or expose your teeth after you ate well it depend on what you had ate.

May 28, 2009
JessHimself said:
So I'm set to get braces next week, and I will have them for approx. 3 years, and I heard that for the first little bit, your lips get cut up, and that they are painful. Is there anything else I should expect not only when I first get them, but in general aswell?
Try to avoid food like spare ribs, you know stuff you eat off the bone (unless it kinda falls off the bone), there is a chance it may break a bracket (chicken drum sticks are still good though to you can still enjoy KFC).

Gum is out of the question as are most chewy or hard sweats/candy, like toffee. Do not put chocloate in the fridge to harden anymore, this will also break the bracket.

Set your self up for disapointment and do what your orthodentist says. I was suppose to have them for 6 months and 5 years later they are still in. Friends of mine even ignored their orthodentist because the treatment did not suite them and have suffered for it. Also if it breaks make an apointment for repairs asap.

Every time you get an ajustment to your brace be prepared for major tooth ache for the next few days (up to a week tops). So be sure to stock up on soups, soft bread and other soft foods. (ice cream and cake is good too)

Oh and a little bit of advice if your are finding it hard to chew or bit but you want something well normal, break up some chocolate and just place it in your mouth to melt a bit until you can "chew" it (this is very helpful if you are wearing elastics).

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
cWg | Konka said:
I was just thinging why do yanks think perfect teeth are so important? makes people look really evil like aliens or robots. most people i know have teeth like vandalised graveyards and its hasnt held them back or had any bad effect on there lives
I have no idea. For a country that likes to moan about body image and plastic surgery, cosmetic dentistry gets a pass for some reason. A lot of people honestly don't need braces outside of cosmetic considerations. And then there's all the bleaching and whitening we Americans do.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
When you first get them in your teeth and gums will be sore for about a week. Then they will be sore for a few days after each adjustment.

Also you can expect to develop tooth sensitivity, like to hot or cold food.

Yeah, it'll irritate the inside of your teeth and lips for a while. But they should give you a thing of wax you can use to put on the sharp edges. And after about half a year I found that the digging stopped.

Also, it's almost guaranteed that you'll have them on for longer than they quoted you for. When I got my braces they told me they would come off in 14 months. As of now I've had them on for 21 months. And everyone else I've talked to with braces has a similar story.

And enjoy apples and carrots while you can. When the only way you can eat them is by cutting them up small and chewing very carefully I found it's just not worth the effort to bother.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
JessHimself said:
So I'm set to get braces next week, and I will have them for approx. 3 years, and I heard that for the first little bit, your lips get cut up, and that they are painful. Is there anything else I should expect not only when I first get them, but in general aswell?
I've been there. It's not so bad once you get used to it but the clay shit they put in your mouth to make the mould makes me gag. It is disgusting.

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
if you get to choose which colour you want, dont get white they look nasty after you get done eating lol

LC Wynter

Jun 13, 2010
Irritating, if bearable.

Though earlier I found myself spitting blood. I blame it on poor wiring; bastard train tracks have been tearing into the back of my gums.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Good bye trumpet training for two fucking years[footnote] Thank God I played the guitar too.[/footnote] and things getting stuck in the braces all the time.[

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
DO NOT GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE WHILE YOU HAVE BRACES!

Unfortunately one of the very few times I've been hit was when I had braces, it cut right through my bottom lip, I've still got the scar and I've never yet seen so much blood. :)

The braces themselves are a massive inconvenience, unpleasant, but as other people have said you do sorta get used to them.

I stopped eating in public because it's impossible to get the food out without giving them a proper brush and I took painkillers constantly.

When they come out you're going to be overjoyed, but when the dentist tells you to wear your retainer every night, you wear it every night, no exceptions, or the 3 years of torture will be for nothing.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Ever consider the taste of metal ruining all your favorite foods?

Also, avoid gum.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
Jesus, everyone seems to have had horrible braces but me.

I got mine in june and they were sore for a week. I didn't get my mouth cut, ever, my mouth never tasted like metal but food does get stuck to them.
Brush 3-4 times a day, BRUSH YOUR GUMS or getting braces tightened will hurt. My gums are strong now so it's just a mild discomfort.

They aren't that bad.