Getting bullied for playing games?

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
I've noticed that sometimes folks on this forum and a few others have claimed that they got bullied as children for playing video games. I find such statements puzzling. I remember getting picked on for not having a console when I was a kid, I remember folks getting sneered at for not playing the right games, and I remember being angrily told by my parents to get off the computer and to do my homework. Perhaps I grew up in a gaming utopia, but I do not ever remember a time when it was socially unacceptable. The closest to that I've ever scene has been the awkward silence that follows when an adult gamer tries to bring up their hobby around others who don't share it. Then again I've also seen this with any topic that the others in a room couldn't care less about.

So was there a time in past when playing a video game made you a pariah, was there a time when playing certain games was a social requirement for you, or what?

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
That depends on how old you are I guess. I'm relatively young by gaming standards, having started to get into gaming in the n64 era and I was the coolest fucking kid in class. Everyone came over at my house to play goldeneye and kids in primary school all used to bring games to class so we could do trades.

I suppose that back when gaming was less mainstream and the image of a nerd was less favorable, bullying must have been way more frequent (still no excuse for the chip on your shoulder guys ;])

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
In my world games were always cool. At school everybody knew the kid with the Game Boy and the kid with the N64 (why was there always just one of each?). And everybody wanted to be friends with that guy. I feel like a had a headstart because I was the SNES kid, and nobody else seemed to own a console before the 5th generation. PC gaming became a thing later on but it was never as popular since back then there was no way around cramming two guys in front of a computer and sharing a single keyboard. Unless there was a LAN party at a cybercafé, but that came later on and cost quite a lot of money.

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
Being serious, my hobbies are centered around anime, its sub mediums, and video games. I've only been bothered for the former, and subsequently punched out the offender. Never happened afterward. The idea of bothering someone for their hobby is so sad to even imagine.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well, I was bullied for other reasons as a kid, but I did used to get teased because I didn't have an SNES or N64 and instead had a PS1 and SEGA Genesis.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I remember when I got my NES. Made me the coolest kid on the block. Where/when I grew up gaming didn't make you a social outcast. It was the clothes that did

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I'm 28, I definitely got bullied for being a "nerd" in school, in 8th grade I brought my gameboy out durring lunch and off hours and was activley mocked for it. the "mainstream" of gaming wasn't that long ago. Granted I was a huge nerd and got mocked for reading comics and watching anime and gaming collectively. I got in fist fights after being pushed around too much for being a "nerd" I mean don't get me wrong i'm glad fewer and fewer people have these stories but I am not about to forget my own experiences. I'm not about to let people be ashamed of being a gamer, if I can stick it out so can you.

Look, right now there's almost nothing cooler than spider-man, when I was in 10th grade I bought a spider-man shirt that i still own today, when i wore it to school people mocked me for not owning "adult" clothes, more than a few teachers asked if i needed to go home and change. that was back in 2000-2002 i want to say. Want to know what happened the last time i wore it? 3 people stopped to tell me how much they loved the spider-man movies. exact same shirt. 10 years of difference.

Times are changing and that's good. I don't want other people to go through that stuff I want them to be happy always. But don't rewrite history, this idea that "nerds never where bullied they just have a persecution complex." or that we should just "get over it already." is insulting. I had to change schools after it got so bad I couldn't bring myself to go to school anymore I hated it so much. I'm not denying anyone their story, and i'm not suggesting people need to suffer for their fandom to be true. the "not a real gamer" thing is just as infuriating to me, but no way am i going to listen when people claim no one suffers for it.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I've noticed that sometimes folks on this forum and a few others have claimed that they got bullied as children for playing video games. I find such statements puzzling.
You may want to try rewinding time and living as a nineties tweenaged girl for a bit. I got away with gaming for most of primary school, but when other girls started obsessing over boy bands and clothes I became an easy target.

One day the crafts teacher (male) pulled me aside to 'discuss my interests'. Some of the girls from my class were there, as well. Their message to me was: "We don't like that you like games." They suggested I get into the things most girls my age liked, because that would be better for everyone.

Everyone except me. That misguided intervention caused my already low self-esteem to plummet. Knowing you're somewhat of an outcast is one thing, but being told that you're not good enough the way you are, being ordered to change whatever they don't like... For years I thought I'd be better of dead. Not that I had any suicide plans, but if I were suddenly hit and killed by a truck on my home from school, I would have been totally fine with that.

The internet slowly made things better. I finally got to talk to other girls who loved gaming (though it was a bit of a challenge to find forums where they were treated normally back then) and I made friends that I still call my friends today.

Now I'm still excentric compared to my peers, but it's mostly seen as a useful thing. For instance, I can translate their geeky kids' Christmas wishlists to normal person speak, and point them in the direction of the cheapest stores and best deals.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Depends heavily on when and where you grew up.

My brother and I grew up in High School Football, USA, the fact that we spent most of our time indoors with a NES did end up with us taking a lot of flak from the "cool kids" who were spending most of their time involving themselves in athletics and other things associated with that, like, drinking entire liter bottles of Everclear and dying from puking up their intestines in an emergency room.

Simple facts are is gaming was stigmatic in the part of the United States I grew up in. I remember sitting at a lunch table with a few friends, tossing some Dungeon's and Dragon's dice back and forth, and having a teacher sit down with us, take the dice and tell us how they were obviously the tools of "the Devil" and that we should turn our back on such things and "embrace God" and "ask for his forgiveness for playing with the devil's toys".

And thats not even an exaggeration, thats exactly what we were told, we also never got the dice back and when I went to school you couldn't demand your confiscated property back like you can in todays day and age.

Simple facts are, I was a gamer when gaming wasn't cool, but it eventually all worked out. By the time I was 17 I was a foot taller and about 30 pounds heavier than most of the jock nutjobs that had given me and my brother so much grief in our middle to high school years, I played guitar in a prominent local thrash metal band and most of the chicks that used to jump all over the jocks were all up in my business constantly...by the time I went to college, it no longer mattered, and then by the time I returned to civilian life after a ten year career in the Navy...I no longer gave a damn what anyone thought...and, by that time, "Gaming" was actually cool.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Greatly dependent on the time and place I guess.
I've been through two electronics/computing schools and even though 98% of the population is completely nerd video games were always a topic that got you dirty looks, might as well been talking about masturbation. So you just kept it to yourself until you found people who were into it also.

And when it came to dating... boy did you screw yourself if you mentioned games as part of your interests, would probably do better if you didn't show up at all.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I've never really been "bullied" for being a nerd/into nerdy things. However, whenever I see a friend discussing/engaging in something nerdy I will call them out on it in this manner [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8], even though we both know I do not have the moral high ground. So I guess I am a belligerent scourge of the geek?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah I got bullied growing up, but primarily for being an introverted/socially awkward beanpole in a small meat and potatoes town, never once for gaming or being into "nerd culture". Hell half the people bullying me were into gaming and nerd culture.

It definitely wasn't an aphrodisiac for women growing up, but girls slightly younger than me and all the successive generations on down grew up with games and either seem tolerant of them or are openly fans.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
I got bullied for being a nerd and not being particularly good at sports. I was a nerd and still am one. Elementary school was rough and the fact that I liked old Doctor Who and Star Trek in the early 90's was a social no-no. I get that bullying happens and that it sucks. It just surprised me that people were claiming to have gotten bullied seemingly just because they played video games. I guess it's different buttons for different bullies to push.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I've been on both side of the bully spectrum. (Both weren't 100% by choice).

I was mostly the strong arm when I was the bully. If someone attacked my friends, I was ready to throw punches. My friends often targeted kids who couldn't play video games often since they were poor or couldn't go to the house with every video game in it. The kids reacted in self-defence to us, but I ended up beating them thinking I was defending my own friends.

The trend ended during my pre-teen years. I had an accident. I matured from it and I didn't want to fight for petty reasons. My "friends" reacted badly to this because their bodyguard wasn't around anymore. I started being the kid that they were targeting. During middle school, I got into fights and they left me alone. We tried to patch things up, but that was before high school.

High school was about being with a certain clique. If you didn't entered the clique, you were a reject. My old "friends" started this process and it was clear that I wasn't invited since I was still concentrated on card games and video games while everyone was moving to something else. I started to get bullied. I resisted at first, but the bullies came in numbers which I didn't have. I asked for help from teachers, but I didn't get much than a few simple "You'll be ok" message which didn't help. Needless to say, the start of high school wasn't a high point for me in my life.

I teach now and I don't stand bullies. If I see one, they get the detention of a lifetime. I make sure the victim is treated fairly after. They need to know they have an ally in this.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I was never bullied about gaming, oddly.
Then again, I was the runt of school and most people seemed to like me, or if they were bullying me, it was other issues. Like they're an asshole.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
NPC009 said:
I've noticed that sometimes folks on this forum and a few others have claimed that they got bullied as children for playing video games. I find such statements puzzling.
You may want to try rewinding time and living as a nineties tweenaged girl for a bit. I got away with gaming for most of primary school, but when other girls started obsessing over boy bands and clothes I became an easy target.

One day the crafts teacher (male) pulled me aside to 'discuss my interests'. Some of the girls from my class were there, as well. Their message to me was: "We don't like that you like games." They suggested I get into the things most girls my age liked, because that would be better for everyone.

Everyone except me. That misguided intervention caused my already low self-esteem to plummet. Knowing you're somewhat of an outcast is one thing, but being told that you're not good enough the way you are, being ordered to change whatever they don't like... For years I thought I'd be better of dead. Not that I had any suicide plans, but if I were suddenly hit and killed by a truck on my home from school, I would have been totally fine with that.

The internet slowly made things better. I finally got to talk to other girls who loved gaming (though it was a bit of a challenge to find forums where they were treated normally back then) and I made friends that I still call my friends today.

Now I'm still excentric compared to my peers, but it's mostly seen as a useful thing. For instance, I can translate their geeky kids' Christmas wishlists to normal person speak, and point them in the direction of the cheapest stores and best deals.
I think the whole idea that gaming made people outcasts had to be isolated incidents, or regional. I was a gamer girl in the 90's too, but had a completely different experience than you. I was a cheerleader and would go down to the local pizzeria in full cheer gear and pig tails with big bows and play "beat the cheer leader" on the Mortal Kombat arcade machine and banked. I used to take all the delivery drivers tips betting on my games. From what people from school tell me even now, I was "the popular girl" in school, although I wasn't what anyone would consider mainstream. I hated boy bands, and went to metal concerts. I really think this has to be a regional thing, as I enjoyed many things people would consider "Geeky", but no one ever really gave me shit for them, I did what I wanted.

I think much of bullying is also what you allow people to get away with in the first place. I broke another cheerleaders nose once for trying to pull my socks up, so I wasn't exactly the type of person that would take shit if they tried. From what I saw of bullies, is they target the introverts much more so than extroverts.. I dealt with bullies, not because of them targeting me, but because they targeted others that could not defend themselves and I wasn't just going to sit there and let it happen without doing something. They tend not to target people who they know are going to punch them in the face...

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
In gradeschool everyone loves games, sure.

It's just that in middle school and above, back then, people would deem you immature for still liking games as it was perceived as "a thing meant only for kids". I wasn't as much "bullied" as I was simply thought of as being weird for still liking this stuff past age 11 or whatever the "rule" is. I was perfectly happy with the stuff I liked and I didn't care what people thought. I had some friends too, just none of my actual classmates. Due to that, school and being in class was a chore. The issue is that it was the SAME people. The same people I went to gradeschool with and I shared a love for games with. They changed. I still fondly remembered our time enjoying games together but they had been brainwashed by the society of the time into thinking that liking games is "childish" so they didn't act the same way. At least not so in the school environment. Basically they were tools aiming to be perceived as cool and doing anything to achieve that, while I just really really loved my games and anime stuff so I didn't bother playing their game. Occasionally there's be a few quiet private discussions which would show me that they did actually like games and that they were just entirely fake, which would both steel my resolve to remain the same and also make me feel sorry for them somewhat. Oh and to give you a timestamp; I graduated from highschool in 2005. Though that was back when I lived in Greece where people are like, 10 years behind America culturewise (half the kids in my class couldn't use a computer AT ALL) so I might as well have gone to HS with people of the mid 90s from here. I still remember a HS teacher making fun of someone for telling him he had to know how to use a computer.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I think much of bullying is also what you allow people to get away with in the first place. I broke another cheerleaders nose once for trying to pull my socks up, so I wasn't exactly the type of person that would take shit if they tried. From what I saw of bullies, is they target the introverts much more so than extroverts.. I dealt with bullies, not because of them targeting me, but because they targeted others that could not defend themselves and I wasn't just going to sit there and let it happen without doing something. They tend not to target people who they know are going to punch them in the face...
I disagree. Fighting back can make things worse. I fought back and that just resulted in having to deal not with two or three people, but with half a dozen. Worst part was that Columbine was still fresh in everyone's minds. They knew I played videogames (though not what kind), so any sign of aggression was another watchful teacher's eye.

Besides, girls seem to prefer other tactics over plain old violence. Instead of punching your face in, they'll attack your reputation with rumours and other nasty tricks. One of the worst was during Valentine. Students could purchase roses and other gifts and have them delivered during class. Few people participated, mostly just the cool couples who'd been together for a while, meaning that anyone who recieved something drew a lot of attention. Some girls send me a rose, signing it with the name of boy who was a popular target for bullies. Then they made fun of me for recieving a gift from him. I tried to throw it away but then they switched to: Be glad someone is interested in you! It's a Valentine miracle!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, I was bullied, and my taste in videogames was a part of it.
I wouldn't say I was bullied for playing videogames, rather I was already an easy target because of my problems with social interaction and that became just another thing to bully me over.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
NPC009 said:
I disagree. Fighting back can make things worse. I fought back and that just resulted in having to deal not with two or three people, but with half a dozen. Worst part was that Columbine was still fresh in everyone's minds. They knew I played videogames (though not what kind), so any sign of aggression was another watchful teacher's eye.

Besides, girls seem to prefer other tactics over plain old violence. Instead of punching your face in, they'll attack your reputation with rumours and other nasty tricks. One of the worst was during Valentine. Students could purchase roses and other gifts and have them delivered during class. Few people participated, mostly just the cool couples who'd been together for a while, meaning that anyone who recieved something drew a lot of attention. Some girls send me a rose, signing it with the name of boy who was a popular target for bullies. Then they made fun of me for recieving a gift from him. I tried to throw it away but then they switched to: Be glad someone is interested in you! It's a Valentine miracle!
We had teachers who played games with students and frequently went to the gun range with them here so games and guns were not seen as anything for them to be concerned with here. The reaction by educators in Texas was to arm teachers and hire armed guards, rather than to freak out about guns or games. I think how they view that is also regional, as it is much more accepted here that many 8 year olds know how to shoot and go hunting with their families already by that age. I guess here girls are not as "prim."

I know all about girls "other" Tactics, however, I think it is also how you handled them in that regard as well. Most importantly, I honestly never really cared what anyone thought about me, I cared what I thought of me, and did what I wanted. As my friend put it, I am the type of person that people are drawn to me, but I honestly do not like people that much so I tolerate them but I usually do not like them. If someone " dissed me" I thought it was funny, it didn't make me feel bad.. I actually had fun with "dissing competitions" and we would try to come up with the worst most disgusting repulsive horrible insults for each other imaginable, and we found this funny, not got upset about it. I also had friends who were very loyal, so if someone attempted to say something about me, for the most part people took up for me rather than turned against me. I was also confrontational, and if someone did that crap, I called them out on it to their face.

That is sad about Valentines day, I always received many gifts and flowers so I honestly cannot imagine what it is actually like to be alone on Valentines, as I have never been. It is really sad though that they took a positive experience and turned it to a traumatizing one for no other reason than to be mean. When I was in middle school and High school, most people were rarely ever mean to me, the whole incident with the senior cheerleader pulling my socks up was because I was an underclassman and they " hazed" younger Squad members at the time, but I wouldn't even put up with that at the time.

I guess where I grew up it was okay for girls to be more of a "tom boy" liking games, shooting, hunting, sports ect. I was still very feminine in other areas, I modeled, had long "princess hair", wore dresses and did not appear "tom boyish", even though my interests in gaming, hockey, shooting ect would be considered such elsewhere. It is sad they would try to make you feel bad for liking games, everyone here liked games, and I had some of my fondest memories playing with both my male and female friends growing up. Sure, with my girl friends we spent more time doing hair, makeup, shopping ect but we also spent a good deal of time goofing off playing mortal kombat, sonic, Zelda and Mario games as well. It is sad they treated you like that where you lived. Fighting back never backfired for me against bullies, but then again people were usually on my side, not against me for the most part.