Getting into D&D

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I bought the dice and rounded up five willing test subjects. I'm DM'ing next week. And I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Can anybody please point me to the easiest, most basic D&D-for-Dummies manual/website so I can learn up in about a week's time and pull an okay, not-that-long tutorial/intro campaign? Nobody's played before so nobody's going to be too demanding.

I don't know anything about D&D. I've only listened to some podcasts that gave a general idea of what's it like. But I don't understand how character creation works, how turns work, overall combat and interactions and mechanics, the extent to which the DM has "scripted" a campaign vs. makes shit up on the go, etc. If you want to try your hand at explaining it to me you're more than welcome but a link to a comprehensive manual is more than appreciated.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, I see Matt Colville being recommended a lot, but I did not learn through him, but I do like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZvLUXcR8&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

You don't need to watch it all in order, and a lot of it is more for after you're used to it.

Do you have the books?

Also, I will answer any questions you have as best I can too!

I will keep looking for good tutorials to use on your own though too.

Edit 1: Here are the free 'basic' rules directly from Wizards of the Coast themselves! It is limited compared to the actual books though, and the 'basic DM Guide' is really more a mini monster manual than DM guide though.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Edit 2: So far, this video series seems good for actually learning to make a character, though I haven't watching it all the way through yet, but it is worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGyk5piGwrQ

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am more interested in learning the lore of Dungeons and Dragons. But then I found out that its not a singular setting.

The Forgotten Realms is the mainstream setting that everyone associates with Dungeons and Dragons.

There is also Planescape, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc.

None of these settings take place in the same universe? You won't see Ravenholt or Dragonlance things in Faerun?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I am more interested in learning the lore of Dungeons and Dragons. But then I found out that its not a singular setting.

The Forgotten Realms is the mainstream setting that everyone associates with Dungeons and Dragons.

There is also Planescape, Ravenholt, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc.

None of these settings take place in the same universe? You won't see Ravenholt or Dragonlance things in Faerun?
Well, they do technically exist in the same multiverse, though some are more connected than others. Planescape is probably the most connected, but Greyhawk and Faerun really aren't so disconnected either, as characters from both have sort of expanded into the greater DnD cosmology, such as the gods Moradin, Correllon, and the wizard Mordenkainen.

But crossovers aren't really much of a thing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Well, they do technically exist in the same multiverse, though some are more connected than others. Planescape is probably the most connected, but Greyhawk and Faerun really aren't so disconnected either, as characters from both have sort of expanded into the greater DnD cosmology, such as the gods Moradin, Correllon, and the wizard Mordenkainen.

Then is Dragonlance and Ravenloft within the same universe as Forgotten Realms or its another plane of existance?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saelune said:
Well, I see Matt Colville being recommended a lot, but I did not learn through him, but I do like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZvLUXcR8&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

You don't need to watch it all in order, and a lot of it is more for after you're used to it.

Do you have the books?

Also, I will answer any questions you have as best I can too!

I will keep looking for good tutorials to use on your own though too.

Edit 1: Here are the free 'basic' rules directly from Wizards of the Coast themselves! It is limited compared to the actual books though, and the 'basic DM Guide' is really more a mini monster manual than DM guide though.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Edit 2: So far, this video series seems good for actually learning to make a character, though I haven't watching it all the way through yet, but it is worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGyk5piGwrQ
Thank you, I'm going through the rules and Colville's videos. I feel like I'm studying for an exam but so far so good. I'll probably come up with more questions the more I get into it. My main doubt was just how flexible the game flow is, the order in which things happen or characters act, when and how to use dice, the extent to which DM rules on actions, etc.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Thank you, I'm going through the rules and Colville's videos. I feel like I'm studying for an exam but so far so good. I'll probably come up with more questions the more I get into it. My main doubt was just how flexible the game flow is, the order in which things happen or characters act, when and how to use dice, the extent to which DM rules on actions, etc.
There is no real right answer. Depends on the DM and the group.

DnD is as flexible as you want it to be!

You cant know everything, DMing is more reactionary than anything. DMs who try to plan for everything always end up with the party who goes left when you were so sure they would go right! Expect to have things you work on be walked past, and end up having to imrpov something, but that's ok!

Its also ok to be bad when you're new, I was bad, but I got better, and if you try to get better, you will too.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Then is Dragonlance and Ravenloft within the same universe as Forgotten Realms or its another plane of existance?
There is the Spelljammer 'setting' which is basically all the settings, cause it is about flying ships that can travel between the different 'spheres' that contain the different settings.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:

There is the Spelljammer 'setting' which is basically all the settings, cause it is about flying ships that can travel between the different 'spheres' that contain the different settings.
So yes Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms are not in the same plane of existance and are diffenet universes?

Forgotten Realms is Earth 1 and Dragonlance is Earth 2?

That was the question I was asking.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:

So yes Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms are not in the same plane of existance and are diffenet universes?

In a way. I mean, when the point of these settings is just to give people a starting point to make up whatever they want, 'canon' becomes a confusing thing. I don't think there are any 'official' crossover stuff though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Johnny Novgorod said:
I bought the dice and rounded up five willing test subjects. I'm DM'ing next week. And I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Can anybody please point me to the easiest, most basic D&D-for-Dummies manual/website so I can learn up in about a week's time and pull an okay, not-that-long tutorial/intro campaign? Nobody's played before so nobody's going to be too demanding.

I don't know anything about D&D. I've only listened to some podcasts that gave a general idea of what's it like. But I don't understand how character creation works, how turns work, overall combat and interactions and mechanics, the extent to which the DM has "scripted" a campaign vs. makes shit up on the go, etc. If you want to try your hand at explaining it to me you're more than welcome but a link to a comprehensive manual is more than appreciated.
As a new dm myself here is my advice.

Dont fucking worry about the rules. Know the story you are going to tell and have motes on how to lead your players in the right direction. As far as the nitty gritty rules you can always check them after the game. On the fly just make a decision or ask a more experienced player.

So long as you know the very basics of combat (armor rating and such) then youll be fine. If you have the players make the wrong skill check for sometjing it doesnt matter. Let them roll whatever you deside and then figure out the actual answer later.

Youd be surprised how little rules actually come up during the game. I would say prepare random NPC names, and notes in regards to your campaign because if your story is good and you are leading players well, they wont care about the rules.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:

Plane of existence is more accurate.

Basically Forgotten Realms happens on the Prime Material Plane ... as does a whole lot of other settings. But you shouldn't think of it s a 'universe' and more like different coterminous and intersecting sides of a hypothetical 'super-shape'.

Ravenloft happens in the Demiplane of Dread, by the by.

So you have the PMP, and coterminous with that is the Plane of Shadow, the Ethereal, and then the Astral.

The Astral helps link the PMP with the Elemental Planes and demiplanes, the Outlands, and the Outer Planes.

The Planescape setting assumes you're starting in the 'City of Doors' ... which is basically a gigantic ring of finite dimensions that sits floating above a mountain known as the Spire of impossible height and width at the centre of the Outlands and visible from any exposed part of the infinitely large Outlands itself.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
If you don't know the rules, why don't you play another game you and your group haven't tried before? I haven't really played D&D since 3.x ed ... and I'm content with that because I play other games and every version of D&D is rife with new stuff.

People can say that D&Dis easy, but it's pretty convoluted and bloated. Honestly, the thing that will fuck you up the most is encounters and how spells work. Because nearly every player will have some permutation of spell-like abilities that you'll have to learn. So if you have any time to learn something really thoroughly it's how magic works.

More people should play Torg: Roleplaying the Possibility Wars ... Torg is amazing. You just need a d20 and the decks of cards.

It's easier to games master because the scenes run more like scripts and the actions are driven more by cards ... and it feels thematic AF. Like it works so fucking well. Torg is the closest game to ever feel like an actual movie playing out.

All you have to do is familiarize yourself with one place, and with a smallchart it tells you everything you need to know about how that part of the world functions. You write a 'loose script' of events and places. It gives you largely pre-prepared characters for everyone to just jump into.

Seriously, Torg should be your introduction to GMing ... not D&D.

With a game of Torg you and your players will actually do stuff regardless of your experience bracket. And no one will rules lawyer you and your worldbuilding into the ground. And because the GM is merely treated as a player with cards, and death can happen quite quickly, but because there's a low buy in bringing in new characters ... no one will blame you for simply 'playing the cards and setting the scene' ...

This is just 'how thescene is playing out' ...

Seriously, even death feels amazing in this game.

Like my 'National Hero' character was dealt the Martyr card which I saved until we met the big bad of the mini-campaign. The Martyr card allows you to basically roleplay out a scene where your character, if possible, can throw a wrench into the worksof any bad guy at thecost of their character... and it feels precisely this epic ...

Guaranteed, if a player has worked hard to manufacture the possibility of roleplaying of that card they quietly held onto for *multiple* sessions... and has taken the time to think about how to roleplay out what they're going to do as their final deed... everyone will be grinning.

So that's my suggestion. Start with something easier, something that works with creativity more than hard dice rolling of 101 different integers, something that chances are your players haven't already played, that allows pre-generation plus customization along the way. Something that also doesn't penalize newbies in favour of the experienced...

Plus it's simply a cheaper game... So my suggestion of how to GM a game of D&D that you know nothing about? Don't GM D&D at all... pick something better constructed to work with your inexperience of GMing until you are actuslly familiar with D&D.

And Torg is probably the best game for that that has ever been constructed.

Basically the most difficult thing you will have to figure out in Torg as a GM is the 'Dramatic Scene' shift mechanics... but no other game will give you a more comprehensive understanding of GMing a scene than Torg will.

Moreover, and this is crucial--Torg will teach you what to do when you fuck up. A bullshit series of dice rolls can transform what was meant to be a difficult encounter to get that magical mcguffin into a cakewalk or a TPK ... and Torg avoids this expertly and teaches you how to rebalance and rescale on the fly without the players feeling like the GM is making it easier or harder on them, all while making the scene incredibly immersive and seamlessly blending it into the action.

Torg will teach you how to GM according to a multitude of different themes, from gothic horror, weird science, high fantasy, and gritty realistic urban settings, where and when to reward player interaction with those themes, and how to construct evolviung narratives and gamestates.

And once again ... despite all of this, it's a phenomenal game system on its own merits while also being cheaper than buying a whole bunch of D&D books, it has a lower barrier to entry, it's something your players likely haven't played before, and what it teaches you is applicable everywhere else in GMing.

I highly recommend Torg for your first time GMing ... even more so if you have no fucking idea of another game you're going into.

If you want to torture yourself, I can't stop you ... but if you're invested in making your group an actual thing--first impressions matter. And oh my God, does Torg leave a god damn impression. It is masterful roleplaying design at a pricepoint no one can argue with.

Basically the only downside to Torg is that there are cards involved ... so unless you want to sleeve them all, it does put a dampener on finger food your might want to bring or prepare for games night.

That being said I'm a damaged veteran of the board gaming scene and compulsively sleeve all my cards of every game I've ever gotten, so it depends on level of whether you want to spend an hour doing the Drama Deck and sleeving all of them ... I personally find sleeving cards therapeutic ... just mellow out to some music while doing so. There's a small amount of inexplicable meditation to sleeving cards. You get into the rhythm and it's like you're on total autopilot.

It is something to consider, however.

As a GM ... you will like Torg if you;

A: Read something like Lord of the Rings.

B: Want your roleplaying to emulate some of those scenes.

C: Want your sessions to have movie aspects of being self contained, and campaigns themselves being like Hollywood epics of a variety of genres. Pulp action, neo-noir, high fantasy, cyberpunk, gothic horror, and more.

The reality of D&D is;

A: Squabbling over alignment.

B: Whether Destruction is considered a instant death effect.

C: Stupidly complex combinations that make no sense as either RAW or RAI (Rules As Written, Rules as Intended)

Seriously, it's a game system where a player will argue something that causes 1 point of damage should be treated as dice or not ... and on that basis alone fucking break the game.

I say that as a person who likes D&D 3.x ... it really isn't a very good introduction to tabletop roleplaying. D&D has and will always be an incredibly bitty mess of rules, dealing with players, and having to nebulously enforce some kind of egalitarianism of buils otherwise players will go too far with the most zaniestly stupid of builds that simply defies capacity to effectively challenge.

Like my half-nymph human bard/barbarian/warblade charisma-based melee build at ECL 9 that delivers a Will save DC22 fear effect check as soon as I attack something, that auto esclates to frightened or panicked any enemy within 30' that sees me attack something.... all while dealing +5 hit and damage to every player's attacks (including my own) and auto full attack on charge, with a free movement that with my shoes of battledancing + my falling charge feat allows me to use me charisma to hit and to melee damage ...

And if you think that's kind of bad enough, just wait until you give me an item I can conjure Sirine's Grace at level 12+ before a fight by hate pointing Use Magic Device and have over 40 AC by level 12, most of which generated by Improved Combat Expertise, native dex, non-magic abilities, and other undispellable abilities.

Literal AC tank with still about half as much HP as that raging barbarian also on the team and virtually untouchable beyond AoE spells that at best I'll still only take half damage on ... let me buy a ring of evasion and not even then.

And this is the thing ... that's not even that broken ... but if I'm playing in a group of new players to D&D, they'll certainly be questioning whether their vanilla barbarian or ranger build is all that pointful compared to my character I bring to the group.

And this is precisely why D&D is not newbie GM friendly ...

Because while an experienced player can teach other players and perhaps assist building their characters to however they imagine them to want to be ...that experiwenced player can't coach the GM.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
There are many many different games and people have different preferrences.

But here we have 5 players and a DM with D&D books willing to start D&D. They should do so. If they don't like it and know why they don't like it, then it is time to look for other systems, not now.

Personally i don't use D&D at the moment, i play three different systems in different groups which i think are more fun. But a thing like Torg is also very far away from my taste.

Also D&D 5E is supposed to be far easier to get into then D&D 3.5 while still maintaining a silimar feel instead of being the pure tactical skirmish game D&D4E was. So it is not that horrible as starting point.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Learn Rule 0 and then internalize it. Rule 0 being "In any argument about the game the DM is always right". As long as you are in session or discussing the campaign, it doesn't matter what the written rules, campaign setting or previous DM fiat says, the DM is always right. It should not be invoked all the time and should not be used to bludgeon the players at every turn, but is a good tool to use when the game risks grinding to a halt because people interpret rules differently, start arguing about what King McGuffin would really do or whatever.

You aren't sure how to apply the rules to a player who wants to stop their fall by throwing a rope to avoid ending up in the pit trap? Is it a reflex save or an athletics check, does the Rogue get its dodge bonus? Just make a ruling and invoke Rule 0.
Are the players claiming that every major city has a mages guild that sells Spell That Player Wants? Make a ruling and invoke Rule 0 (perhaps involving an appropriate skill check, perhaps not).

Also remember to relax about it all. When I started GMing some 18 years ago (man, I'm old), we only used about half the rules for a very long time. The important part is not to get all the rules right, it is to make sure that everyone gets to have a good time. If that means you simplify the rules, ignore them or bend them, that's what it takes. If it means ignoring the campaign setting, do it. Make sure to discuss it with your players so that you are all on the same level. If you're all new, easing into the rules by applying a few at a time is a perfectly legitimate way to go about it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
You don't mention which edition you're playing, so I'm going to assume it's 5th.

Personally, I learned the most by watching people play it on YouTube. I suggest Critical Roll or Heroes and Halfwits. You don't need to base how roleplaying happens off them, but in my opinion it's the best way to learn how spells, combat, and abilities work. It's how I did it.

There is an app called Fifth Edition Character Creator, it should be on android and iOS. It's a godsend. Walks you through step by the step on how to build a character and handles all the tedious math and dice rolls it may entitle. There is also multiple spell apps to help your players manage their many spells.

Lastly, invest in the Lost Mines of Phandever starting campaign. It's made to be an intro campaign and even comes with premade characters for your players. I don't think investing in other books besides maybe a singular player handbook is needed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Elfgore said:
You don't mention which edition you're playing, so I'm going to assume it's 5th.
Whichever this applies to: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Elfgore said:
Whichever this applies to: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
That is 5th Edition.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Plane of existence is more accurate.

Basically Forgotten Realms happens on the Prime Material Plane ... as does a whole lot of other settings. But you shouldn't think of it s a 'universe' and more like different coterminous and intersecting sides of a hypothetical 'super-shape'.

Ravenloft happens in the Demiplane of Dread, by the by.

So you have the PMP, and coterminous with that is the Plane of Shadow, the Ethereal, and then the Astral.

The Astral helps link the PMP with the Elemental Planes and demiplanes, the Outlands, and the Outer Planes.

The Planescape setting assumes you're starting in the 'City of Doors' ... which is basically a gigantic ring of finite dimensions that sits floating above a mountain known as the Spire of impossible height and width at the centre of the Outlands and visible from any exposed part of the infinitely large Outlands itself.
What plane does Dragonlance take place?