Getting into Final Fantasy?

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Greetings, fellow escapists. I come before you on this evening to ask a simple question: Where's the best place to start for someone looking to try Final Fantasy?

Now I know there's a lot of division among the fanbase, so I'd like to mention something before you post. I've never played any incarnation of FF before, nor, for that matter, any JRPG at all. What this means is that I have no attachment whatsoever to the series, so I won't feel betrayed if I start with [Insert whatever one you like least here]. Also, the less mechanically obtuse the game, the better.

If you could also give a brief explanation of the reason for starting with one in particular (beyond simply, "this one is better than the rest"), that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
start anywhere from 4-10 or tactics they are the best, If I had to choose one I would say 10. It's the most recent (of those I recommended) and probably the easiest for a new player to get onto while still feeling like a game, the combat is probably the best turn based combat has ever been and the story is good aside from some legendarily bad scenes, also blitzball which you will either love or hate with a fiery passion

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Really you can start with any one that you wish since generally all the Final Fantasy games are different and give you a different feel. For example, X was my first one but since then I've played every numbered FF game and now XII is my all time favorite.
X's combat is probably the easiest though so I will say that FF X is probably a good starting point.

Note that if you wanna start with Tactics. great game, please note that it is different from most FF games being that it is an SRPG instead of a JRPG.

However, I will say that there is one Final Fantasy you should not start with: Final Fantasy II.
Sure most people say how XIII is the worst, or some other, but for someone wanting to get into Final Fantasy do not start with Final Fantasy II. The problem with II is that the gameplay doesn't not reflect well on the story and it is just tedious and after a while frustrating to get through, which is a shame because the story is really good in II if you ask me.

Oh and to clarify, I mean the actual Final Fantasy II, not Final Fantasy IV like how it was in the US for a long time since we got III and IV as I and II respectively.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Any of them, really, so long as there's no "-2" or subtitle in the name.

Debate over which is the best has been going on for fifteen years, but honestly there isn't really any single one that's better to use to get into the franchise or JRPGs in general than any other. It would mostly depend on your other normal gaming habits.

Do you like extreme focus on narrative, even if it might negatively impact the gameplay? Final Fantasy X or XIII might be your bag.

Do you like exploration, with a large world that opens up more and more as you play and with many hidden things to search out and find that you would never think of merely stumbling across? Final Fantasy XII or any from IX and earlier would be good.

VI, VII (if you can get past the admittedly dated polygons), and IX are typically highly regarded as simply being the most sound titles in the franchise, from a mechanical and narrative standpoint. They're probably the most representative of what kinds of themes and gameplay you used to be able to expect out of the Final Fantasy name, with party-driven turn-based active-time battles and stories that go completely insane and off the rails anywhere between a quarter to two-thirds of the way through the game. They also have some of the more interesting Final Fantasy worlds, with VI and IX being pretty heavy on the fantasy steampunk and VII being something of a modern cyber/steampunk-lite.

X has an actual turn-based combat system (as do a few of the really old ones, I believe, but I'll admit I've played very, very little of any before VI), while XII's combat is structured a bit like Dragon Age: Origins where all monsters are seen on the same field you travel upon and you can set up the AI to use spells and abilities exactly as you'd like or micromanage every little thing (though that can become extremely tedious).

I guess it would also depend on your platform. If you have a PS3 or Playstation Vita, you can easily pick up VI-X off of the PSN, or if you're on PC VII and VIII have had releases on Steam recently. The Nintendo DS has had full remakes of III and IV, and the PSP has I-V.

So, in short... just pick one and jump in?

My personal favorites are IX, VII, and XII, but I still haven't played too far into VI which is often cited as the best in the series. I love them for the unique worlds they build, the stories they tell, and the characters they have, but there is a certain amount of patience and tolerance for grinding that you'd do well to adopt before trying them out. Especially with IX, which unfortunately has one of the slowest battle scene introductions in the franchise, and one of the slower active time battle gauges as well.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I'd say 4, 6, 7 and 10 are good places to start. 4, 7 and 10 are the first games on their respective consoles (SNES, PS1 and PS2) and are good representations of their eras. And 6 is just awesome (and quite a step up from 4).

I'd probably avoid 8. Not because I think it's a terrible game (which I do) but because the way the levelling system works is a bit different to the rest of the series. Same with 2 (as the person above me mentioned).

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Thank you very much for the in-depth explanations, these are extremely helpful. :)

In other news, it's really hard to express gratitude on the internet without sounding condescending or sarcastic.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Tactical Pause said:
shrekfan246 said:
Thank you very much for the in-depth explanations, these are extremely helpful. :)

In other news, it's really hard to express gratitude on the internet without sounding condescending or sarcastic.
No problem.

It is worth noting that regardless of what you decide to go with, there is a certain amount of linearity the games thrust upon you. It's at its worst in X and XIII in my opinion, which is why I singled those two out, but all of the others specifically gate you away from areas until you're far enough along in the story and they're none too shy about throwing extremely high level monsters at you if you stray away from the normal path once you've got the freedom to explore. In the PS1 and earlier era of Final Fantasy games, the World Map is the only place you can save freely, and it's a good idea to save frequently while exploring.

As another note on the subject of Final Fantasy XIII, I hate it as a Final Fantasy game but acknowledge that it's not necessarily a terrible game in its own right. As someone who has no attachment to Final Fantasy, there's a moderate chance you wouldn't get bothered by the same little things that constantly niggled on my mind while playing. I wouldn't personally recommend it as a starting point, but at the same time wouldn't fault you for jumping in with it. Though XIII-2 and now Lightning Returns appear to have made the story go bonkers even for Final Fantasy...

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
I have been playing Final Fantasy games since the original first FF on the Famicom. XII is the best FF I've ever played. The graphics are unbelievable for a PS2 game, the music is sumptuous and sweeping, the story is deep and intriguing, the battle system is innovative and awesome, the world is epic and amazing, this game is simply phenomenal and criminally underrated by the masses. That said, it's one of the most complex FF games out there (only Tactics is more complex). So XII might not be the best starting point. I'd say Final Fantasy VI on SNES might be a better starting point. It's simpler to play, but still amazing in its own right.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I would recommend FF4, that's where I started (back when it was called FF2). Or possibly FF7.

You could also try FF6, but be warned that once you experience it, nothing else in the series will ever compare. Once you go Locke, you never go... bocke. ;P

Srsly, that game is awesome. FF9 and Tactics are also good, but I don't know if I would start there.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'll let Hitler answer for me:

Seriously though, I'd reccomend 4,7,9, and 10. Those games are all pretty good IMO.

IX for me is the one that reigns over all of them though.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I'd say start with IV. It's the beginning of the melodrama and campiness that the series has. Also, mechanically speaking it's very simple. Level up, pick up new gear. There are classes, but only Cecil changes his at one point as part of the plot, the rest stay the same. I'd recommend the Complete Collection version if you have a PSP.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Out of the ones you're most likely to get recommended- 9 and 6 both have great characters and stories set in sort of high fantasy steampunky worlds. 8 and 7 have much more convoluted plots in anime inspired cyberpunky settings and have (imo) almost no likeable characters.

1-3 are very primitive compared to the rest of the series, 10 was a major departure from what had come before while 12 was part of a sub-series with the Final Fantasy Tactics games. So yeah I'd suggest starting with 6, 9, 4 or 5.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
4 for the gameplay, 10 for the story, 6 for the most well-rounded of the games. A lot of people really like 7 too, but it's not my favorite.

Some of the spin-offs are great too...FF tactics, Bravely Default (which is nothing short of Final Fantasy's attempt to distance itself from Final Fantasy), Theatrythm, Dissidia, and the old Game Boy ones, FF Legend 3 and FF Adventure in particular.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Final Fantasy IX. It is easily the most accessible of all the Final Fantasy games. It also has an amazing story and soundtrack.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Neronium said:
However, I will say that there is one Final Fantasy you should not start with: Final Fantasy II.
Sure most people say how XIII is the worst, or some other, but for someone wanting to get into Final Fantasy do not start with Final Fantasy II. The problem with II is that the gameplay doesn't not reflect well on the story and it is just tedious and after a while frustrating to get through, which is a shame because the story is really good in II if you ask me.

Oh and to clarify, I mean the actual Final Fantasy II, not Final Fantasy IV like how it was in the US for a long time since we got III and IV as I and II respectively.
I second that. II is by far my least favorite of the ones I've played(which are 1-7 and tactics). It's very difficult, the leveling system is just badly done(and tedius to boot) and the first 1/4 of the game is a series of fetch quests.

I only played II because it was the last of the early games that I hadn't played yet and I felt I owed it to myself to go through it.

And to be fair, it does originate a lot of things that would come for the rest of the series, such as chocobos, cid and the dragoons. Which is why it sucks that the game had so many design problems that makes it unfun.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Neronium said:
Talking as someone who has completed FFII (and all the other main entries except the MMOs ofc) I agree completely with this sentiment the game is almost flat out broken in fact I would say dont play it at all unless you (like me) really want to play all the main single player games in the series.

I started with VI but VII is by far my favourite I think X would be a good starting point though its got a great battle system and an interesting leveling mechanic and the graphics still look ok and will probably look smoother with the re-release coming out next month.

Of the earlier ones I would also not recommend starting with I or III simply because they just arent that good I mean they arent horrendous like II but tbh they arent really worth your time IV however is excellent but also pretty dated nowadays and you may not find it very beginner friendly.

If I had to recommend 3 titles I would go with VI, VII and X as I think those are the best and hold up well but really any entry IV and up isnt a bad choice to start although as already stated its probably not advisable to go for X-2 or XIII-2/3 to start with but its not like you will be completely at a loss if you did.

Xjin

Jul 7, 2009
10- great story, mixed voice acting, good combat, epic music and fun leveling system. The world is well made and in some spots in game and cutscene are utterly gorgeous along with the aforementioned music. Most of the characters are enjoyable and if you get the setting of the PC he becomes less... off. The combat and summoning system is easy to pick up and fun.

9- In the running for my favorite game. The world is fanciful and exquisite made. Some what more technical in mechanics but not hard to pick up. Great characters and a four man combat team is sweet. Can do some cool things in combat with bosses. Story is high/epic fantasy to the point that it is running with it with utmost pride. Looks dated but not horribly. Note that is has some mood swings. Big ones. Has a great in game help brakes to teach you thing along the way on the first disc. This is the one I will say is your best bet.

6- Played it once start to finish and can't remember anything other than my 12 year old self loving it. I and many will recommend it.

For a little more meat on a starting dip

7- The Grand daddy of FF. The Game that made the series known in the West. It's not the best, but it is sure as hell in the running for it. It has old PSX graphics and most of the music is dated as well but there still is art in both imagery and music. The game play is a tad clunky to get fully into but not hard to have a good grasp on it, and once you get better than the good grip you can just brake the game like mad and make it more fun! The story may take more than one playthrough to get fully unless you pay attention well. The people in the PC party are a good mixed bunch and get some nice development but some are not as great as others. Go in with a open mind as it has not aged overly well and has been beaten like a dead horse. Base game is still good, most of the expanded components are not. Go in expecting a lot or the best game ever and you will be dishearten. The game has it flaws and liver spots, so don't get hype blind.

12- A tad odd to get into for a few reasons, but a solid game and one of the best FF games. I'll expand on it off the other posts.
1) The PC is not the lead, he is a tag along teen. And quite annoying sometimes.
2) The License Board is... Odd at first. This is how you tweek and build your people. Some what like the spear grid from FFX but not as open and clear and thus some what cumbersome.
3) Do to the view point you have makes the story is easy to stumble on and off of, but gets better around half way.
4)Frans horrabad Icelandic accent. Not a bad character, JUST THAT VOICE!.
5) Can outpaces your self sometimes and thus lead to some backtracking. Not too badly tho.

Tactics- Oh sweet Gods and my ancestors! One of my most favored games. A board based tactical RPG. dated graphics, yes. Still plays like a champ. The job system is somewhat complex and you'll need a wiki for quick study, and combat can be tricky. Great story and pacing. Can be long depending on your play stile, but tends to tell you if your slacking in a blunt way.

The bad.
FF8- Has a mixed story and even more mixed characters. The game's leveling system is... It should die in the most horrid way really. The music is great along with the imagery and setting. The Card Game however! NOW THAT IS FUN! The rest is meh at best.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
It depends on how many of them you want to play. If you want only the best, play 6-10 and you're done. You've got the best story, the best characters, the best gameplay and the best combat/customization nailed already. Any of the other titles will be lacking one or more of these - particularly after 10, when they started sacrificing big in the character and gameplay department to make more room for flashy visuals.

11 and 14 are MMOs, and both are pretty bad. 12 and 13 are also pretty bad; flashy with no content. 13 is uniformly bad, from start to finish; you're thrown into a linear hallway and that's literally the rest of the game. 12 starts off like it might be an epic adventure worthy of the ages, but instead you follow a kid as he follows around slightly more interesting characters (who are still not very interesting) on *their* quest to do... things. Mostly you just run around from set piece to set piece, with token betrayals and boss fights coming and going with no feeling of connection or emotion.

Somehow they decided that 13 was worthy of sequelage, and both of those are worse than the first (if you can believe it).

The early games are uniformly better than the tripe that came after 10, but going too early leads you into the fairly simplistic 80s RPG sprite-focused gameplay. FF1, 2 and 3 are pretty interchangeable with very token plots and characters who often don't have a personality at all. 4 has characters with names and a hilarious attempt at a love triangle, but it falls short as none of the characters are terribly likeable and the rotating door cast that fills the rest of your team is either forgettable or outright annoying. If you have any interest in playing FF3 or 4, get the DS ports (or android/iOS releases, which are the same thing). They're the highest quality release of those particular titles. They aren't bad, per se, they're just... not anything special, especially by today's standards of RPG.

5 is alright. The story, again, is very token, but the characters finally start having a "point." They have enough memorable lines and enough of a "human" element to begin to really attach to them, and the cast being kept relatively small lets each one get some story focus. The class selection in 5 is mindboggling, and you get a ton of different (and neat) options. Some are trash, unfortunately, but you're sure to find something you like. There's a small level of customization (you can take an ability from another class, etc) but nothing on what the next 3 games offer. 5 is decent, certainly not bad, but not the best of the best, either.

6 starts the era of greatness. It features a rather large list of characters, many of whom get incredible amounts of background story and great arcs throughout the game. Some of the later-joining characters (particularly the joke ones like the Mime) arrive too late to be meaningful to the story, but the rest of the characters will have you very invested. This is also the game where the music started taking off - there's even a scene at an opera, featuring an opera song, which is easily the single best piece of video game music *ever written* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOcmdymYws4]. And, of course, it's also meaningful for the characters involved. Beautiful game (for the time), if you can find it on PS1 it comes with some extra cutscenes, otherwise the GBA port has the best translations and quite a few bug fixes over the old versions. 6 is highly recommended.

7 continues the era, applying the same amount of character focus to a 3d world. No longer clinging to sprites, cutscenes with facial expressions and easily-detectable body language help flesh out each member of your team. One of the best elements of the story is the villain, Sephiroth, who I assume you've heard of. He's not a random bad guy that just pops out of nowhere - he's present from the very beginning of the story until the end of it, sometimes as an idol, sometimes a hated villain, and the things he does will make you WANT to kill him as much as any video game character can. At the same time, his motives are somewhat believable, if a little far-fetched - he's not just a mindless freak who wants to destroy the earth (like, say, Kefka in FF6). He's dangerous and intelligent, and the game builds up to the confrontation at the end flawlessly. Do not miss this game.

(On a side note, FF7 and 8 are tied for the best combat/most customizable characters. The Materia system featured in 7 offered nearly unlimited possibilities, ranging from dedicated damage summoner to pure melee fighter to anything in between, and the addition of counter-attack materias, MP/HP steal materias, and various other neat supports will keep you entertained for the whole game, with a very steady stream of new materia even until the end of the game, ensuring you always have something new to try).

8 is a contentious one, but mostly follows on from 7 in tone. The graphics are again improved, being the first game to actually feature "human-like" characters instead of random polygon blobs. The characterization suffers slightly, only focusing on a small group (and even then, only on a few of that group specifically). A somewhat confusing side plot emerges, there's some shenanigans with time travel, and the game's biggest flaw; the villain isn't really built up like Sephiroth or Kefka. You don't have an entire game to just *HATE* this character for what they've done. You barely even know who they are, and then when it's time for the final confrontation, you're just going through the motions. Yeah, it's a boss, you're supposed to kill it... but who really cares when you're not invested in the fight?

That said, the rest of the game is still superb. 8 offered a slew of hard-to-figure-out side quests, some with incredible awards; a few summonable espers hidden away in side areas, and like I mentioned above, some of the best combat customization in the series. Each esper has a set list of abilities it grants to the person who has it equipped; those abilities are a mix of universal and unique skills, some passive, some active. You can even customize them to a great extent by deleting some of the universal abilities (the Summon command, for example, is on every one and doesn't need to be) and adding some of your choice. It's not *quite* as much freedom as 7, particularly considering 7's sometimes-convoluted summoning chains, but it's certainly a hell of a lot better than most of the final fantasies. Don't miss 8.

9 is a hidden gem - it came out after 7 and 8, also on the PS1, but it was released so close to the launch of PS2 (and thus FFX) that it didn't get much attention. It plays almost like a light-hearted parody of earlier final fantasies; not a serious, gritty save-the-world adventure but still good in its own way. Some of the best minigames in the whole series can be found in 9. Definitely recommended... after the other "greats."

10 is the last one I'd venture to call "good." The drop in quality is obvious, but considering how legendary the previous 3 games were, it's still head and shoulders above a lot of competing games, especially for the time. It's a very pretty game (starting the trend of sacrificing overall quality for shiny objects) but the addition of voice acting was... stupid, to say the least. Only a few characters have voices that "match" their person and also don't suck. Both the leads have some of the worst voice actors possible; not just during the infamous "laughing" scene (don't look it up, it's painful) but throughout the whole game. Yuna is the mumbling queen and Tidus is the confused dipshit.

The biggest problem is that this doesn't actually mesh with their characters. Tidus starts off as a confused dipshit, but quickly matures in the face of constant danger and a quest to save the planet. As truths are revealed about the last stages of their journey, Tidus sobers up, transforming from a confused and bratty teenager into a responsible, caring (but still somewhat naive) young adult. The transformation is subtle, but quite good - many people who quit playing before the end miss it, which is unfortunate. The voice actor, however, never got the memo, and Tidus sounds like a cockbag from start to finish. Yuna's is even worse, not following her arc, but even during moments of severe distress or anger, never rising above a quiet inside voice. Tidus manages to yell a few times, Yuna just mumbles. It's a fucking disgrace. I'd read the text any day and imagine voice actors of a much higher caliber. Sticking them in and doing it poorly was just a mistake.

The combat is an interesting mix of menu-driven turn-based and "real time," and it's very easy to get into. The class customization (in the NA version) is equally easy; there isn't any. You're put on a fairly linear path through the sphere grid, forcing characters to pick up their archetype abilities in order and only being able to break out of the path very late in the game. The "endgame" content is also rubbish; very grindy, forcing you to catch 10 of every monster ever then battle a special, souped-up version of it in the arena. 99% of these fights are just a test of whether you have Quick Hit on every character or not. If not, you lose. Snore.

The story, somewhat like 8's, is contentious. Personally I loved it. It's got the fairly common japanese anti-religion theme, but it goes deeper - multiple characters even in your party face off against each other in arguments and debates. As the story progresses and more is learned about the church and those who run it, the cognitive dissonance of previously certain characters is evident. They've been raised their entire lives to believe XYZ, and now that it's proven to be a wrong, how do they deal with it? Certainly interesting stuff.

From there, though, the quality drops drastically. X-2 starts off with a pop song and continues through a boring and strangely samey grind through the world X took place in, just with all the interesting characters benched or off-screen for the majority of the game. FF12 couldn't come near the characterization evident in 6-10, and 13 wasn't even trying. Those shiny hallways couldn't design themselves, you know?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I could give a run-down on all of them but everyone else is doing that so I'll just give you titles I think you could start with.

Great idea to start with; IX, X
Good idea to start with; IV, VI, VII
Bad idea to start with; II, III, VIII

Note that I haven't played I or V yet.