Getting your hair cut.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Much to my total surprise I turned into an adult a few years ago and apparently I now value looking neat and tidy. I used to have long hair down to my back pockets and by the time I had it cut I could actually tuck it in, now I tend to have it cut short and let it grow until it's down to my eyes.

Kolby Jack said:
Guys with long hair... WHY do you do it? I'm not judging, but it's just soooooo tedious, and my hair was only shoulder-length!
This is part of the reason I had it cut, taking care of long hair involved learning a whole bunch of new haircare routines and dedicating real time to washing, conditioning and drying it. Originally I did it because it is fashionable for metalheads to dress that way and out of laziness. As an aside I also got a lot of positive attention from it and even eight years later I still get people saying how good it looked. The other reason was because I've never given a crap about how my hair was styled so it was the path of least resistance.

The other reasons I had it cut were for professional concerns and comfort, I work around servers and they output some serious heat so I like light clothes, short hair and no extra fat (that last one is a work in progress).

Kolby Jack said:
I wouldn't say I hate getting my hair cut, but I hate GOING to get my haircut.
Oh god this. It can be nice to get your hair washed and cut but it takes so long, it's so difficult to pick a style and there's just so much faff around it all. Sometimes I wish we could borrow the North Korean idea of state sanctioned haircuts, allow any hair you want but have a board of 12 haircuts that were standardised.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Don't know what to tell you, OP. Long hair can be annoying at times, but not enough to make me want to cut it. You get used to it after a while... I'm quite in love with my hair and don't intend to ever get rid of it.
I haven't even been to a barber in over eight years and that time it was to trim the tips. It grows quite slowly though. Only got hair down to my waist if I pull it(however, I am almost two meters tall).

No, cutting my thick, wavey, dark brown/dark red hair would be a crime to humanity.

Queen Michael said:
My hair stopped growing, though; but my friends tell me that if I cut a bit off the tops it'll keep growing.
That's not true though. Don't listen to the liars!
Grows slower after it's reached some sort of maximum, but it's still going if you give it time. I haven't noticed my hair growing for the past five years, however based on photos it's way longer than before.

Gotta be based on the same myth that says your beard grows faster if you keep cutting it off.
Really? Thanks for the warning. I'll let it be, then.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Well I recently got it cut from middle-back length to shoulder-length, which is apparently both long hair :/.
I kinda like having longish hair 'cause it keeps my entire head warm (which is very useful in Scotland) plus you can do more with long hair than short. Plus it looks ballin' with my beard.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
My hair is a strange, unmanageable beast. It has two modes: frizzy as fuck and wavy. When short or just muggy (kind of a constant thing, being in rainy Wales.) or when it's a lazy hair day (all day erryday, folks.) it's the former, when long or dry it's the latter. So yeah, long hair is a high mantaintence ***** but I sure as hell look better with long hair than short hair. I kinda hair going to the hairdressers as a result, but I feel that head massages during a cut & blow dry makes up for it. Shame I leave hair trails everywhere though - good thing it's thick or there would be reason to worry.

Bailos

The Apostate
Sep 26, 2009
I absolutely hated getting my hair cut as a child. Eventually I was allowed to make my own decisions, and apart from cutting off dead ends every few months, I haven't really cut my hair in about 8 years. Feels good, man.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I have longish hair for the first time in my life, not because I want long hair, but because I moved in the summer, and find going to a new barber to be a daunting socially excruciating experience.

"what would you like"

"erm, yeah, no idea really. Like this, but less? Short, but not short, short. Erm, hang on, I've got a picture of me on my ID, like that maybe?"

It's just difficult. Also, I don't like people touching my head, it feels weird.

I do really need a haircut though, its getting ridiculous.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I'm a female and I don't get my haircut anymore. My hair is long and very thick. It takes forever, the touching, and the constant chattering. I get it, we are both bored. I have a lot of thick black hair and this haircut is going to take a lot longer than we both anticipated, but I generally don't share common interests with the person cutting my hair and I don't really like sharing personal business. So conversations end up being one word answers and awkward silence.

I gather up and sheer off the ends when they start to look sloppy though - seems to be enough. I just keep my hair in braids anyway, so feathering, layering, isn't much of an interest. I doubt you could even see it anyway, and I can't be bothered to style it myself because I just don't care enough. If I need to wear my hair down for whatever reason and it needs to look 'nice', I'll lightly rub Argan oil into it and leave it in a tight braid for a few hours before the 'event'. I'll take it down a few minutes before we get there. Seems to do the trick.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My hair is longer than it has ever been before. When March comes along it will be a year since I cut it.

Anyway, I don't mind getting my haircut, my hairdresser is family and she does a hood job. I just like my hair long and flowing in the breeze. Plus it looks cooler when you headbang.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I'm not a particular fan of getting my hair cut, to be honest. Though after having let my hair grow through that phase in my teens, I don't like having long hair either. So I tend to leave it a similar length nowadays; its that length that strikes the balance between being warm and being easy to maintain... [sub]Now I just need it to be stylish, dammit.[/sub]

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
I love getting a haircut. I love the feeling when the short hairs in the back of my neck are so short they're fuzzy to the touch, and I absolutely love having a hair dresser fondle my hair. Ok, fondle is probably not the right word, but it sorta feels like it sometimes. Almost orgasmic. (Can I say that?) Also, my hairdresser knows what I like much better than I do; she's given me different styles every time and I've loved them all.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Following my hair being completely killed when a perm went wrong, I went from this:

To this:

The short hair was actually far more high-maintenance than the long (I'm growing it out again now). As you've said, short hair requires frequent trips to the hairdresser to keep it that way, whereas because my long hair wasn't really cut into a "style" that needed maintaining, I just had to get the split ends trimmed off a couple of times a year. Mind you, I did resent the prices they'd charge for that. Women's hair cuts are extortionately expensive, at least where I live.

If you want high-maintenance, it's not long hair you need, it's something like this:

Had that colour for a couple of years and loved it, but my god it was hard work. As for the "why" part, I lost a bet and then decided I liked it :p

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
I love haircuts!
I love getting my hair brushed and played with. I'm like a pony.
Basically this. My hair never gets much longer than my law anymore (short hair don't care!), it's just much easier to take care of that way. Plus I had long hair well into high school, so short has been a welcome change.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I used to keep my hair short, nearly bald. It didn't look great on me but it was nice and simple, and I like simple. In the last year though, I just haven't been able to muster the effort to make the journey to the barbers. It's been almost a year since my last hair cut and my hair is nearly shoulder length now.
TBH, it looks alright on me, but I still want to get it cut because my fringe annoys the hell outta me, especially in the windy climate I live in. I just have no idea what to do with it really, as well as the aforementioned laziness.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah, I'm kinda with the OP on this one: I have nothing against getting my hair cut, I just hate the hassle of going to get my hair cut. It's literally a 30 minute drive to the nearest barber, which makes it at least an hour and 20 minute ordeal (assuming I'm able to go right in and immediately get my hair cut, which is rare). As such, months can go by between my visits to the barber. Basically I know I have to get a haircut when my hair starts covering my ears and brushing it back behind my ears stops working.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sorry but I have to say you look a lot like Ron Weasley from the (later) Harry Potter movies, as for my own fabulous hair cut I have a simple General Zod from Man of Steel short back and sides. Less maintenance than some haircuts and I look less thuggy than a buzz cut although I do tend to get the clippers over it in the summer.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I used to hate getting my hair cut when I was heavier since I always thought my face looked chubbier when I had short hair. Now I like having short or long hair, for me both have some perks. It looks more unique when it's longer, and I have really nice, thick hair. On the other hand, it's easier to style when it is short, and having a little facial hair doesn't make me look like a hobo. XD It's all about balance, I would hate having super short, or super long hair.

I do get the dislike of going to get a haircut. The fear of getting a bad haircut and living with that for a while can be a bit scary. Even if the only bad haircuts I've gotten are the ones I would be responsible for in some way.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
For me it grows to like an inch long and then just kinda stops, I remember leaving it for months and it not growing.

I buzz my hair myself, down to velcro style (you know, when it feels prickly) and then it grows to about an inch long in about a month and half, then stops dead!

So it's a bit of a risk for me, I have never been to a barbers in my life (I find the practice strange, to be honest), so I always have this worry I have missed a bit. After I shave it I am constantly running my hand over my head to check for long bits and when I am walking I can feel the wind blowing long bits but it's like when you feel your phone vibrate in your pocket ... but your phone is on your desk.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Eh, I don't like getting my haircut. The whole ritual of sitting without moving my head and making casual conversation.. I just don't like it and having the extremely thick hair I do I'm rocking a jew-fro 2 of every 3 months.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Mostly with me it's money. I have had my hair all lengths, from chopped off to... well, as long as it is now. Which is to about the boom of my shoulder blades, or about 3 inches past my shoulders.

Usually I would grow it and then summer would hit and I'd cut it off to about my chin, but a year or two ago I just didn't cut it one summer. And then it was long enough to put in a high ponytail, so I just do that. When it's down it is long and kinda flat, though, so usually halfway through the work day I'll pull it up and leave it. But then it's not so long that I've got a nice high long ponytail that it's all good.

To reiterate... I'm too cheap and lazy to get it cut.

The funny thing?

My best friend is a hairdresser.