Ghost in the Shell: First Assault Trailer

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So Ghost in the Shell is getting a shooter game, apparently.

Yeah. Not exactly what I was expecting from a GitS game honestly. It looks like a Co-Op only version of Ghost Recon Online.

Honestly, I would've preferred a GitS game in the flavor of Splinter Cell with a splash of Rainbow Six and the Arkham's series detective segments rather than an online shooter.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ohhhhhhh... oh.

It's that multiplayer thing that was teased a while back.

Well shit.

Doesn't look like the worst game ever, but I feel that so much more could be done with the GitS licence.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Imagine Dragons and a voice that doesn't fit Motoko Kusanagi in the slightest, not very favourable first impressions. Let's be honest here, if it didn't have Section 9 this could really just be any sci-fi shooter.

Zhukov said:
Doesn't look like the worst game ever, but I feel that so much more could be done with the GitS licence.
I'd have thought something more like X-Com would have suited it better.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I had once posted a thread about it ages ago.

I didn't like the tune used in the trailer, I still prefered the one used in the original trailer.

Granted the only good thing about the English version is that it is uncensor seen in the original trailer.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
...but will it make me nauseous with gratuitous gore? That's the question.

(note: having never watched the series, every clip I've seen involves cringe-worthy gore, usually self-inflicted)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Studio makes CoD clone, publisher wants to maximise sales and picks a selling name, tada...
Maybe that wasn't the exact process but it is exactly what it looks like.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
LetalisK said:

(note: having never watched the series, every clip I've seen involves cringe-worthy gore, usually self-inflicted)
Really? THAT'S your biggest concern?

Oh boy...I hope that you never discover that one anime or graphic novel where gore and cringe-worthy imagery run rabid in every single page.

But seriously, I don't mind a generic-looking FPS with a highly acclaimed license behind it, so long as it stays true to the source material, includes some unique game features, and is, above all else, fun.

Though a detective sandbox action title would've suit this series better.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
A KissLike Smile said:
Imagine Dragons and a voice that doesn't fit Motoko Kusanagi in the slightest...
You think so?

I'm 90% sure that's Mary McGlynn (or however you spell it), the chick who did the English voiceovers for the anime. So to me she just sounds like, well... like the Major.

Imagine Dragon can fuck right off though. On that we agree.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
LetalisK said:

*immediately thinks of the major vs tank fight where she rips her own arm and a leg*

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
When i think of a GITS game i think about something more like deus ex, not this. If the trailer didn't show the major or had any writing i would have assumed that this was the new COD.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
LetalisK said:

Really? THAT'S your biggest concern?

Oh boy...I hope that you never discover that one anime or graphic novel where gore and cringe-worthy imagery run rabid in every single page.

But seriously, I don't mind a generic-looking FPS with a highly acclaimed license behind it, so long as it stays true to the source material, includes some unique game features, and is, above all else, fun.

Though a detective sandbox action title would've suit this series better.
You'd think I wouldn't have a problem with gore considering I have no issues with games like Mortal Kombat or any other game where people are mutilated, but for some reason seeing a person rip their own arm apart in exertion makes me ill.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Eeeeeegghhhh. At first I thought it was bearable looking. Then it switched to first person and they started playing radioactive. I actually threw up in my mouth a little. And it's online? I've never seen my interest drop so fast.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
I'm a huge GitS fan and this get some interest from me just on that angle. I think there are plenty of games that better suit the Major and Section 9, rather than a team based shooter. While they did get into plenty of firefights, they were typically short and brutal affairs that were over as fast as they started.

It does look like they tried to give each of the team members some of their trademark skills, like Batou is heavy weapons (but an arm-cannon?), Saito is the sniper, some of them seem a little off (Togusa controls drones?)

The other thing I'm worried about is Nexon's influence on it. While I'm not a hater of them, they do have some F2P methods that are not appreciated.

PS: the Major's voice is good (like Zhukov mentioned), and yeah, Imagine Dragons was not a good choice.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
When I saw that my first thought was: 'no, that's just a mod, a Ghost in the Shell game wouldn't be a FPS'.

Personally I would have liked to see something with story as to me that's what makes Ghost in the Shell, so a single player game, possibly something like Alpha Protocol.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
What do I actually want from GitS game? A tactical jRPG with deep storyline. What do I get? THIS. Ugh.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Oh that sooo does not feel like Ghost in the Shell at ALL. Ghost in the Shell was about concepts of reality and what it meant to be human, along with delving into deep and convoluted conspiracies. The biggest things in the Stand Alone Complex were investigation, mysteries, and solving difficult cases. NOT shooting massive numbers of people! The first episode was trying to figure out a hostage situation and sort out all the different motivations, another was Aramaki trying to persuade a CEO to give them information to deal with an extremely dangerous runaway tank, one episode was them trying to find an assassin.

Not running through the streets hurling grenades at...things. I don't know if they were supposed to be people or bots but it looked like a couple got blown apart like lego men at one point. If they really wanted to make a Ghost in the Shell game, then take inspiration from two sources:

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for the combat/stealth gameplay
2. L.A. Noire, for investigation and interrogation

That's it. Investigation, augmentation and discouraging of run and gun gameplay. THAT is what you need for Ghost in the Shell. Write a story that touches on the central themes of the actual Anime, and instead of making the characters from the Anime fit in an FPS, focus in on a new recruit into Section 9, make it an RPG kinda game.

But no! We need to slap Ghost in the Shell's skin on an FPS and be done with it!

This kind of thing makes me feel a kinship with the 'Call of Duty is ruining games' crowd...

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Fox12 said:
Eeeeeegghhhh. At first I thought it was bearable looking. Then it switched to first person and they started playing radioactive. I actually threw up in my mouth a little. And it's online? I've never seen my interest drop so fast.
Thanks you! when I think Japanese sci-fi anime I think Radioactive. I wasn't expecting J-pop but holy fuck that does not fit gits at all

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
LetalisK said:
You'd think I wouldn't have a problem with gore considering I have no issues with games like Mortal Kombat or any other game where people are mutilated, but for some reason seeing a person rip their own arm apart in exertion makes me ill.
Does it help anything to know that is was a cybernetic arm and there was no real flesh and blood involved?

As for Radioactive; it's not wholly unreasonable. It can work if done right:

As a fan of GiTS, I think it would be better for me if I just skipped this. I've barely recovered from the news of the Hollywood, live-action remake of GiTS as it is.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Hey it's that shooter that they announced that looked like generic garbage way back when

Instead of the *cough* perfect *cough* GitS game we could be getting

Y'know

Deus Ex Human Revolution with a GitS skin

Y'know

The game series that's already about robotic augmentation