Ghost in the Shell - Hollow, Soulless, a Shell, etc.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Ghost in the Shell - Hollow, Soulless, a Shell, etc.

Ghost in the Shell can't even come close to living up to the previous movie.

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I suspect the author of the article has seen the movie, but if someone asked me to write a review without actually have seen it, I'd imagine it'd come out much like this. Maybe I'm psychic.

Admittedly, I'd not known it was by the same director as Snow White and the Huntsmen...I guess the scandal was him having sex with Kirsten Stewart?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Ex Machina wasn't that good of a movie. In fact, I'd say it was downright bad. The ending made no sense considering the android had to "constantly recharge her batteries"; if the movie continued on for 30 more seconds it would show her shutting down and falling over in that crowd of people.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I take offence, literal offence at the suggestion to watch 'Under The Skin'. Godawful waste of time that was.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Okay, let's address the elephant in the room. How do you all feel about the white washing aspect of the movie?

Especially when

it's revealed that Mira Killian, the main character in the movie, is revealed to be Motoko Kusanagi, who was originally of Japanese descent, killed in a raid and implanted into a Caucasian woman's body?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Loop Stricken said:
I take offence, literal offence at the suggestion to watch 'Under The Skin'. Godawful waste of time that was.
Under the Skin is a pretty interesting film. I'd certainly rather watch it again than the original Ghost in the Shell.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
09philj said:
Loop Stricken said:
Under the Skin is a pretty interesting film. I'd certainly rather watch it again than the original Ghost in the Shell.
If each shot was literally half the length it actually is, maybe. It would've made a good 40min episode of The Outer Limits, but for a film it's just needlessly lengthy.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Burnouts3s3 said:
Okay, let's address the elephant in the room. How do you all feel about the white washing aspect of the movie?

Especially when

it's revealed that Mira Killian, the main character in the movie, is revealed to be Motoko Kusanagi, who was originally of Japanese descent, killed in a raid and implanted into a Caucasian woman's body?
oh get over it already. Only people who don't understand the franchise think that and the creator gave the thumbs up at her casting choice. If your bothered by it so much then don't watch it and stop looking for petty fights on behalf of other people who don't give a fuck.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Burnouts3s3 said:

Especially when

I'm increasingly convinced the "whitewashing" in this film was done on purpose to farm controversy, the same way Ghostbusters tried to controversy-farm with the "anti-SJew" crowd, this movie is doing the same with the other side. It's increasingly obvious due to how "self-aware" they were within the movie and threw in that twist, not as a way to excuse themselves from the whitewashing but as a way to keep stirring the internet pot. People like Veldie above me get mad that other people get mad at the film, and suddenly it becomes a "culture war" film, something you either have to defend or denigrate depending on your political stance, which is... well, fucking sickening if you're asking me.

It's basically a form of a high-tech Hollwood trolling to try to turn shitty, half-assed movie reboots like GitS and Ghostbusters into hits rather than bombs. The numbers are still early but it appears this GitS is not doing great at the box office, and currently has a worse RT score than The Boss Baby. That's the good news, that this strategy probably isn't enough to make a film successful. Turns out not that many people actually care about this shit.

In any case, it's certainly no surprise the movie is bad. The funny thing is they probably could have just done a shot-for-shot remake of the original without all the robot nipples (and maybe without the child sexbot at the end) and I probably would have seen it, ScarJo playing some honky cyborg or no. It probably also would have been a decent movie. Maybe.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, I suppose I should be glad after all that I dodged this bullet, even if the dodging part was on a negative note.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
What's that? Hollywood took on a slightly more complex than average premise and over-simplified it to insulting levels? You do surprise me.

Burnouts3s3 said:

Especially when

Seriously? You think that the the significant problem with this movie is the race of the actors casted to play characters?

It was doomed from the get-go, it was never going to be more than a disappointment, there is literally no point having the whitewashing debate over this one. There's no ditch to die in here, just a slight depression (boom, wordplay).

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
I don't really have anything relevant to add, I just wanted to say that this guy looks like he has googly eyes glued to his face.

Can't unsee.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hittite said:

Can't unsee.
I'm sure he can unsee though. But I doubt it's very hard since he probably can't see much of anything through those pinholes.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Deathfish15 said:
Ex Machina wasn't that good of a movie. In fact, I'd say it was downright bad. The ending made no sense considering the android had to "constantly recharge her batteries"; if the movie continued on for 30 more seconds it would show her shutting down and falling over in that crowd of people.
Damn, I was swooped. Also, this story has been done a 1000 times before, most of the time way better (even in TV shows)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I saw it on a free screening on Wednesday, and I think the visuals and sound were the high points. Like the closest we'll get to a Deus Ex movie.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Just watch the original. Or The Matrix. Or Ex Machina. Or Under the Skin.
Ouch, even Ex Machina is better then this to the point of being recommended? That's got to sting.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
So the major remembers her past and that Kuze was her bff all along; then as opposed orignal she rejects merging ghosts and says "This world needs me" Or something like that.

The very last scene had the major on a rooftop, monologuing and looking out across the city. The movie took the entire amount of her brooding and philosophical banter to let her realise that she is spiderman. All that was needed was the "Great power = great responsibility" line.
From the whole movie the only time the major shows even a hint of non-brood related potential is the feeding of Batou's stray dog. I think they trying to say she is driven to help the weak but not giving a reason why.

So she's human after all *GASP*

I also found it strange that the Major gets overpowered so often.
For all the "Perfect weapon, one of a kind killing machine!!!" talk.

It would make sense in the original more though because her cyborg body is apparently an entry level model with a few enhancements.

It feels that in the end though the movie got Hollywood-ed to me.
Bit disappointing.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Eh, Mark Kermode was positive enough about it, so I'm sold on seeing it. There's nothing wrong with what's ostensibly Johansson cosplaying in a live-action quasi-remake/homage. It's not as if high budget cyberpunk films with female leads are overly common. The original isn't going to vanish because this exists, either, and more people may be introduced to the '95 version or/and the IP beyond, so I hope it does well.

And I'm beginning to see Marter's variously bitter grumblings as a sign that I'll like a film, so this bodes well, maybe...

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Wow! A Hollywood blockbuster remake that has put more into CG and overpaying actors than actual plot or depth, maybe even trying to do something interesting with the IP?

COLOUR ME SURPRISED

... Under the Skin has been on my watchlist, I really should get around to it, but I've still gotta finish Come and See first.