McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
undeadsuitor said:
"We cast a white woman cause this is now an international story"

*aggressively japanese setting, characters, aesthetic*
Could be a Hong Kong -aesthetic too like in the original film, as some of the movie was shot there.
Houseman said:
Batou's eye-buttons are gone at 1:32 for some reason
Most likely due to how the trailer is edited. Or they're just a bunch of M&Ms Batou can pop in anytime he likes.

OT: Looks cool enough. If it somehow evades ending up mostly generic popcorn action (with cool visuals but those can't really save a movie imo), I'll go see it.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
So, are they pulling a "San Fransokyo" to explain the Japanese-esque setting with a mostly non-Japanese cast? I don't know a lot about GitS so maybe this makes sense to people who do.

As for the trailer, it looked neat. Was pretty annoyed by the monologuing, though.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Looks like they are going to copy the original but heavily dumb it down because the executives are worried, like every other film these days, that the general public won't 'get it'.

I'll still watch it though, at worst it has that Scarlet Johansson in it wearing tight clothes.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Hmm, I'm still kinda torn. I hated the idea about this, and am still not happy with the casting of Johansson as the Major...but...

There was some iconic imagery that was pretty faithfully done, and it looks like the are using parts of the Puppet Master case but also a few others (example the scene with the cyborg geishas was done in SAC)

I'll stop loudly complaining at the moment, but I still reserve the right to ***** depending on what else they show.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
The visuals look good. The robot geishas are creepy. Building-sized hologram advertisements are a nice touch. Also, Scarlett Johansson in a skin-suit.

It looks to be following the set pieces of the original very closely (the skin-suit, the invisible water fight, the spider tank), but the voiceover narration implies that they're pushing for some kind of superhero origin backstory for the Major. She doesn't need that. From what I recall of the anime, she's just a cyborg special agent. It's kind of a point that she's not special; full-body cyborgs like her were commonplace in the anime setting. Here, they're all like "you're some super prototype with amnesia, now go on an identity quest."

Batou's eyes are a big fumble. They look too small, like he's shut his eyes and put buttons on them. It looks ridiculous. Should have given him larger lenses and animated them with CGI.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
bastardofmelbourne said:
The visuals look good. The robot geishas are creepy. Building-sized hologram advertisements are a nice touch. Also, Scarlett Johansson in a skin-suit.

It looks to be following the set pieces of the original very closely (the skin-suit, the invisible water fight, the spider tank), but the voiceover narration implies that they're pushing for some kind of superhero origin backstory for the Major. She doesn't need that. From what I recall of the anime, she's just a cyborg special agent. It's kind of a point that she's not special; full-body cyborgs like her were commonplace in the anime setting. Here, they're all like "you're some super prototype with amnesia, now go on an identity quest."

Batou's eyes are a big fumble. They look too small, like he's shut his eyes and put buttons on them. It looks ridiculous. Should have given him larger lenses and animated them with CGI.
The Major is kind of special but only in the sense that her cyborg body is military grade and has a lot of shit in it that most people cannot afford/legally own: kind of like the difference between Adam Jensen and most other Augs in Deus Ex.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Looks alright to me.

Not sure how I feel about them remaking iconic scenes despite this apparently being a new plot. Fans will hate it for not being identical to their beloved anime, non-fans won't recognize what's being referred to.

Not big on the hints of amnesia origin story. It's not the worst template ever but... could we not?

As others have said, Batou's eyes look wrong. They look like discs stuck on top of closed eyelids. They "should" fill his eye socket and look like they go back into his skull.

As for the Major, much has been said about Johansson in the role. "Whitewashing", "not pretty", "overrated", "can't act" yadda yadda yadda. Personally, the only thing bothering me is her voice. Sounds completely out of place for reasons I can't identify.

Eh, I'll give it a watch.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Weird, after seeing the trailer I'm less interested in this movie. The visuals are great, but Scarlett Johansson looks really bored, I don't know what it is. I liked her in the marvel movies and I think she's awesome in Lucy, but she's just not interesting here. I don't even care about the whole "whitewashing" thing. Alicia Vikander was great in Ex Machina, maybe she would be better here too, and let Johansson play Lara Croft instead.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
This...is exactly what people mean when they mean white washing a movie - or at least, 'adapting it to western audiences'.​

The original, entire point of GITS was about Major marking out her individuality in a world that was rapidly becoming a mass market wasteland of consumerism and copy paste design and creation. While some episodes did focus on other subjects, a large majority of the series was about Makoto essentially marking out her individuality in the face of overwhelming technological progress.

Simply put, there's a reason towards the end of the GITS movie that Makoto gets her ass handed to her by a giant spider tank and ends up in the same physical state as the AI in the broken body who wants to be an individual and there's a reason they become one: both want to mark themselves out as individuals - albeit in different ways. Makoto wants to meld into the ephemeral and spiritual while the artifical mind wants to become a human or at least, a physical, true being through the creation of a new life (which is the Makoto we see in the series' and movies following the original GITS)

(That is, assuming the blatant speech towards the end of the film wasn't enough of a give away.)

This resonates with Japanese audiences because of the quick and overwhelming technological advancement Japan had over a certain course in time.

Mass production, plastic surgery, a new culture of more and more technology and all of it coming down at once, all of that plays a part in pushing forward Makoto building individuality - she modifies the mass market body, switches bodies as she pleases, spends a majority of her time both flying through the net and hacking computers with ease (though thats more the puppet master's influence then not, depending on who you ask.)

This trailer, the moment it said 'First of its kind' outright rejected being that, instead choosing to play to the western audience's love of being special for being one of the first countries to try en masse democracy and glorification of the talents of the individual while painting assumed outside control by a small group as its source villainy. That's why this doesn't work - you can't be the first of your kind and be Makoto, especially not PRE-PUPPET MASTER Makoto (as they seem to be going for). Makoto was the first of her kind by design of both in world and out and after becoming one with the puppet master, this becomes even more clear. (By this I mean, she's first in that she intentionally goes out of her way to seek the Ephemeral, she drowns herself, she spends long times contemplating the state of her humanity, she wonders if she has a soul, etc)

Hell, in my personal opinion it would've been better if they focused on the more non-Makoto type story-lines to connect to the western audiences, such as the comparison the series often makes between old technology and retired veterans, especially considering the more recent events in politics.

But then again I'm one of those people who apparently takes movies too seriously even while they try to reach desperately for meaning by stealing other people's cultural touchstones and spitting in the face of their original meaning. Gonna be good to see Scarlett Johansson retain her undeserved monopoly of 'white action girl'.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Angelblaze said:
The original, entire point of GITS was about Major marking out her individuality in a world that was rapidly becoming a mass market wasteland of consumerism and copy paste design and creation. While some episodes did focus on other subjects, a large majority of the series was about Makoto essentially marking out her individuality in the face of overwhelming technological progress.
I think that they think that's what they're going for, with those lines about Makotohansson trying to figure out her place in society, but based off your reading of the anime they've missed the mark completely.

Instead, what they've got is "unique super-prototype cyborg tries to be like everyone else," which seems almost like an inversion.

Who knows; we're both probably reading way too much into a two-minute trailer.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Visually it looks alright, but nothing about the tone does. Reminds me far more of randomly violent action flicks then anything else, throw a popular star in there and you got yourself a box office hit...
They probably know selling the very depressing and confusing tone of GitS would be a hard one, so this is what they did instead.

Also Scarlet seems to be playing Scarlet, Makoto has a very different character.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
undeadsuitor said:
"We cast a white woman cause this is now an international story"

*aggressively japanese setting, characters, aesthetic*
Yeah...that caught me off guard. Mind you, I actually felt that the international angle was a decent variation, but I was expecting them to jump around from country to country like in a Mission Impossible movie.