Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Is PC Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Is PC Again

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is coming to the PC after all.

The bad news: indicated [http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Playstation-3/dp/B0037LVW9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326225619&sr=8-2] back in October, but will instead hit the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on May 22 in North America and May 24 in Europe. The good news: Ubisoft has changed its mind - again - and will also release a version of the game for the PC.

For those who've forgotten or just didn't care in the first place, Ubisoft said in November 2011 that it pulled the plug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114367-Ubisoft-Kills-Ghost-Recon-Future-Soldier-on-PC] on the PC version of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier because 95 percent of PC gamers would just pirate it anyway. Because of that, Ubi decided to develop and release the free-to-play Ghost Recon Online, a PC-exclusive multiplayer shooter that people can download and play without spending a penny - which is how the mouse-and-keyboard crowd rolls, after all.

What changed? Ubisoft didn't say, nor did it reveal, to answer the inevitable question, what sort of DRM scheme the game will employ. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is "content complete [and] pretty much there," according to IP Development Director Adrian Lacey, but Ubisoft wants a couple more months to polish it to perfection before letting it go. An announcement about a public multiplayer beta for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will be made in April, but no word on pre-release public exposure for the PC version was given.

There's also no word on when it will actually arrive, either, as Ubisoft said only that the PC edition of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier will ship "at a later date." Ghost Recon Online, meanwhile, is still in the works and is expected to launch later this year. Best of both worlds, you might say.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is "content complete [and] pretty much there," according to IP Development Director Adrian Lacey, but Ubisoft wants a couple more months to polish it to perfection before letting it go.
I just don't get the timing on this. Doesn't a PC port take some time and planing. Doesn't this indicate that they knew they were going to do a PC port back in Nov when they made the comments that pissed of the whole of the PC community? Why make those comments and piss of a community you know you will be wanting to sell this game to?

Maybe the only answer we will get is a Gallic shrug...

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
Like we want it now. Pull your game for our platform, call us pirates, and still expect we'll buy it? Sorry Ubisoft, you guys screwed the pooch on this one.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm not buying it. I know what they are doing, they are just making a shoddy port three months after the console variants were started. It will suck, nobody will buy it, and then Ubisoft will jump up and down shouting "Told you nobody would buy it! It's all your fault!"

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
I feel sorry for the devs on the PC version. Ubisoft have been crapping on PC users all of last year so all of their hard work will most likely be a waste. Afterwards Ubisoft will be able come out and say that the game market on the PC is dead anyway, so why bother in the future. Oh Ubisoft, you angry and confused teenage girl.
Besides, does the Tom Clancy brand still sell games?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
There is no chance in hell that I will buy it since it will most likely be a shitty port.

Apr 28, 2008
No Ubisoft. I'm not buying a product from a company that straight up insulted me. To say nothing of your usually crappy PC-ports and insane DRM.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, it's likely that any kind of PC port that will result from this will be bogged down with terrible issues that occur when you shoehorn a game that was cut off from PC for most of the development.

Better than nothing, right?

Right?

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
Irridium said:
No Ubisoft. I'm not buying a product from a company that straight up insulted me. To say nothing of your usually crappy PC-ports and insane DRM.
What he said! Maybe you should think about what you say to your customers Ubisoft!

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
They probably shat themselves when they saw that 250k people were playing bought copies of Skyrim on PC at once.

Me? I haven't played an Ubisoft game in years. Until they stop piling DRM on so thick that no one can play it, that statement isn't likely to change.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Eh. Ghost Recon hadn't been any good since the first one.
Just because you don't like it?

Not only is Future Soldier using new gameplay, the older game are actually quite good (but also quite challenging).