Ghostbusters - It Has Women in It!

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I haven't and from what my friend who walked out after 45 minutes said I don't think I'm going to, it doesn't look good to me and I don't want to spend money on it, if someone else does let them not my problem.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Kate McKinnon seems to be the most divisive aspect of this movie. In every review I've seen people either absolutely love her or fucking hate her.
I'd say she's underutilized and seems to be trying to overcome that by being excessively present, sometimes to a distracting degree.

To elaborate, Holzman is mainly there as an engineer (read: plot device) to provide all the tech. She is the Egon, if you will, of the reboot. However, in this lineup we have Erin (Wiig) being a credible scientist in her own right. Where the original needed a straight scientist because Ray was the comic relief, and Venkman was a slezeball con artist. She ends up being this extraneous character with very little to do other then being quirky constantly in the background.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Cartographer said:
RJ 17 said:
I'd say that's probably the most fair and reasonable review I've seen this movie get. Most of the reviews I've seen either praise it as something absolutely amazing, or shit all over it like it'll give you cancer.
That's odd, virtually every review I've read, seen and heard have said pretty much the same things:
The action's lacking.
The villain (and 3rd act) is weak.
The 3 supports chew the scenery and steal every scene from the leads.
It's funny, way better than the trailers made it out to be, but nowhere near the level of the original.

Are you purposely looking for biased reviews, 'cus I imagine people who made up their minds to love/hate it when it was first announced can find plenty in it to justify their positions. It sounds neither good enough to rave about nor bad enough to lambaste.
Yep every review I've seen has said it's an average film, which you may enjoy if you like the actors involved. I've saw a single review that was of the "independent women don't need no man" variety, in that it tried to suggest criticism was all driven by sexism, which was a bit tedious, in an American newspaper, but actually even that one gave it three stars.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Cartographer said:
RJ 17 said:
I'd say that's probably the most fair and reasonable review I've seen this movie get. Most of the reviews I've seen either praise it as something absolutely amazing, or shit all over it like it'll give you cancer.
That's odd, virtually every review I've read, seen and heard have said pretty much the same things:
The action's lacking.
The villain (and 3rd act) is weak.
The 3 supports chew the scenery and steal every scene from the leads.
It's funny, way better than the trailers made it out to be, but nowhere near the level of the original.

Are you purposely looking for biased reviews, 'cus I imagine people who made up their minds to love/hate it when it was first announced can find plenty in it to justify their positions. It sounds neither good enough to rave about nor bad enough to lambaste.
Sorry, browser playing up - double post

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
weirdee said:
09philj said:
weirdee said:
09philj said:
The offensive thing about the film isn't the film isn't the film itself, which is, of course, determinedly fine. The offensive thing is the kind of thinking which spawned it, the kind of very corporate thinking which actually doesn't care about whether the film itself is good. For the people who brainstormed and greenlit this project, all that mattered was how much money they could make. Taking an 80s film that is generally well liked and then doing what is effectively a straight remake but with gender roles reversed is a very cynical way of film making, and not something that should be celebrated or encouraged, because it's deliberately trading on nostalgia both and controversy. Remakes can and often do produce great work (True Grit, Ocean's Eleven, A Fistful of Dollars), because they endeavour to forge their own identity and improve on weaknesses of the original. This, by design, doesn't, and that's just depressing.
you've seen sony's powerpoint presentations, right
Their what now?
Here's some of it
This doesn't look real. It looks like something Cracked would do for one of their photoshop weeklies.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
So this is the worst-marketed movie, ever? Considering its budget and cultural weight and all...

I still dislike it because it's yet another complete reboot.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
weirdee said:
Here's some of it
Wait, people are actually still surprised that massive billion-dollar corporations do things mostly by way of focus testing, and plan out franchises long in advance of anything actually being proven successful?

Wow.

Kinda thought that was common knowledge for the demographic of this website at this point.

OT: Honestly, I would've been surprised if the film had been as bad as people were predicting, given the fact that apparently "Ghostbusters, but women" was enough for everyone to declare that the universe was ruined forever and their entire lives had retroactively been destroyed.

(And yes, I'm being hyperbolic, so if you're going to tell me how wrong I am, please just don't. Reserve your anger for continuing to believe that this film is the worst thing to ever happen to the Ghostbusters, because it's not like there have been loads of cynical cash-ins on the brand. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(franchise)])
Comments like this are not helping your own case either. Just something to keep in mind.

Honestly, I was expecting a lot worse considering what the initial trailers showed, so for me, this sounds like something I might give a shot once it goes up on the big screen around here.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mangod said:
shrekfan246 said:
weirdee said:
Here's some of it
Wait, people are actually still surprised that massive billion-dollar corporations do things mostly by way of focus testing, and plan out franchises long in advance of anything actually being proven successful?

Wow.

Kinda thought that was common knowledge for the demographic of this website at this point.

OT: Honestly, I would've been surprised if the film had been as bad as people were predicting, given the fact that apparently "Ghostbusters, but women" was enough for everyone to declare that the universe was ruined forever and their entire lives had retroactively been destroyed.

(And yes, I'm being hyperbolic, so if you're going to tell me how wrong I am, please just don't. Reserve your anger for continuing to believe that this film is the worst thing to ever happen to the Ghostbusters, because it's not like there have been loads of cynical cash-ins on the brand. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(franchise)])
Comments like this are not helping your own case either. Just something to keep in mind.
My case is, "being snarky at people who overreacted to something before knowing practically anything about it," so I'd say that it does.

I have no vested interest in Ghostbusters, I've never even seen the original and quite frankly upon watching the trailer for the original I didn't find it any better than the trailers for this new one; I'm just so very, very done with how the internet reacts to things it doesn't like.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Mangod said:
shrekfan246 said:
weirdee said:
Here's some of it

Wow.

My case is, "being snarky at people who overreacted to something before knowing practically anything about it," so I'd say that it does.

I have no vested interest in Ghostbusters, I've never even seen the original and quite frankly upon watching the trailer for the original I didn't find it any better than the trailers for this new one; I'm just so very, very done with how the internet reacts to things it doesn't like.
Ah, ok. Sorry; the way I read it, it sounded like you were insulting those who didn't like the movie. My apologies.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mangod said:
shrekfan246 said:
Mangod said:
shrekfan246 said:
weirdee said:
Here's some of it

Wow.

Ah, ok. Sorry; the way I read it, it sounded like you were insulting those who didn't like the movie. My apologies.
Yeah, nothing wrong with people disliking the movie, or not finding the trailers good enough to care about watching it for themselves, etc., and I know that discussions around this movie tend to bring out the most polarized in people.

I'm just saying that I find the outrage surrounding it completely pointless for multiple reasons, and that even if it was just a cynical use of the brand it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"Ghostbusters - It Has Women in It!"

Well, that's all I need to know. This is an outrage, a travesty, a rape of my childhood! I can't go on in the knowledge that a remake bears actors of different gender and zzz...

cman2024

Nov 23, 2009
Honestly, I'm just glad it's not terrible. The various "you're all misogynists" crowds would have made the film immune to criticism if it were.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
KissingSunlight said:
I'll be honest. When I saw the review of the original Ghostbusters, yesterday. I thought Marter was too afraid to post a review of the 2016 Ghostbuster.

Ultimately, I came to judge this movie on how the moviemakers responded to criticism. There are two ways to respond to negative opinions. One is to acknowledge the criticism and promise to do better. The other tact to take is to berate people. Telling them they are just haters, and they don't know what they are talking about. Usually, when the person responds in the second way. What they are doing is not very good.

Even though, I used to root for this movie to be good. How they reacted to the negative criticism made me reluctant to pay full price for this movie. I may go to a second run theater, or catch a discounted matinee showing of the movie. If I feel this movie is, at least, a mediocre entertaining movie.
Except, the negative backlash to this movie was bandwagon hate, over petty reasons, by people who had never even seen the film.

Those haters deserved to be berated.
To be fair, the negative backlash was because this movie was another nostalgic cash grab. This time with a gimmick of having the cast being gender-swapped. A lot of people saw through this and called "Bullshit!" This offended people who thought criticizing a movie with a female cast was misogynist. Thus we had this controversy. If this debate was left to the keyboard warriors online, I wouldn't have held it against the movie. When the movie director, actresses, and the studio executives started to accuse people critical of this movie of being sexist. That was when I lost respect for them. Now, I am torn between my interest of seeing this movie and rewarding them for being cynical jerks hoping to profit from insulting their audience.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Xpwn3ntial said:
weirdee said:
09philj said:
weirdee said:
09philj said:
The offensive thing about the film isn't the film isn't the film itself, which is, of course, determinedly fine. The offensive thing is the kind of thinking which spawned it, the kind of very corporate thinking which actually doesn't care about whether the film itself is good. For the people who brainstormed and greenlit this project, all that mattered was how much money they could make. Taking an 80s film that is generally well liked and then doing what is effectively a straight remake but with gender roles reversed is a very cynical way of film making, and not something that should be celebrated or encouraged, because it's deliberately trading on nostalgia both and controversy. Remakes can and often do produce great work (True Grit, Ocean's Eleven, A Fistful of Dollars), because they endeavour to forge their own identity and improve on weaknesses of the original. This, by design, doesn't, and that's just depressing.
Their what now?
Here's some of it
This doesn't look real. It looks like something Cracked would do for one of their photoshop weeklies.
we could only hope that some dedicated con job actually went through the trouble of making so many slides, but that's not the kind of efficient work ethic that gets you paid at buzzfeed

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
weirdee said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
weirdee said:
09philj said:
weirdee said:
09philj said:
Their what now?
Here's some of it
we could only hope that some dedicated con job actually went through the trouble of making so many slides, but that's not the kind of efficient work ethic that gets you paid at buzzfeed
Well, notice the "Lost Ark" thing on the After Earth lineup is a Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty thing, there's also a Gears of War cover behind "Exodus". I think Exodus might be a... Call of Duty cover? Maybe Medal of Honor

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
shrekfan246 said:
weirdee said:
Here's some of it

Wow.

It is, but we still have to be mad about it. Frothing and foaming at the mouth, mad.

Aren't you mad, man? Aren't you livid? You should be physically shaken with anger right now, my friend. Grab your pitchfork and join the fray!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hawki said:
"Ghostbusters - It Has Women in It!"

Well, that's all I need to know. This is an outrage, a travesty, a rape of my childhood! I can't go on in the knowledge that a remake bears actors of different gender and zzz...
Hey! Wake up! This is no time to be falling asleep. There are angry sexists/SJWs/nerds/bigots/misogynists/misandrists[footnote]Choose whichever demographic best suits your taste in target.[/footnote] to fight!

I catch you laying down on the job again, Hawki, and there'll be hell to pay.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Jesus, so many conflicting opinions. Just someone tell me if it's good or not!

I mean, I would watch it myself, but I don't want to.