Ghostbusters - Who You Gonna Call?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Ghostbusters - Who You Gonna Call?

Ghostbusters is one of the all-time classics.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Honestly never really cared for this film.

Didn't hate it mind you. Watched it long after it came out (2010 or thereabouts) and just kinda shrugged. It's an 80s comedy with a cute premise and a couple of decent chuckles.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Many memorable lines. Hell just with you introducing the characters what immediately came to mind was "do-ray-egon" and "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say".

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Always loved the original. Still do. Saw it as a lil bahbee (I was born '87) and I have loved fhe whole property ever since then. Never to the same slavish degree some MRA's and "fellow" nerds do, but it's an extremely important movie that I FEEL later-born millennials forget and there's a slight reason more older, less social media focused film critics have taken umbrage with the remake- it doesn't realize the significance of the original movie.

Ghostsbusters is in the National Film Registry, ran by the US's Library of Congress, for a valid reason after all, sharing company with Buster Keaton and DW Griffith, in the halls of important works of film and art.

And I just saw the remake. I loved it too! It's gonna require another showing before I make any calls on the importance of it, or if it's gonna be remembered as fondly like the original is.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I saw it when it first came out and....it was alright. It was a decent enough film but I am mystified at how it has spawned this much of an empire. I think I might have seen Ghostbusters 2 and I have Sanctum of Slime on my 360 and.....that's about it. I may have seen some of the cartoon but, if I did, it didn't make an impression.

As such I have no plans to see a reboot of a movie that I thought was "alright".

Can't really trust anything people say about it anyway. Over on IMDB (otherwise known as "one of the worst cesspools of the internet"), MRAs are voting it down and Feminists are voting it up without even seeing the film. Out of curiosity, I skimmed Rotten Tomatoes reviews. 2 of the 5 positive critic reviews read like "I didn't really dig on it but, because the conversation has turned into a test of how open-minded you are, I'm giving it a positive score anyway." An equal number of the negative critic reviews read like "In my day, this was the best movie ever and any reboot automatically sucks because I'm old."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This was my "Star Wars" back in the day -- It was the first movie ever to show me how crazy awesome movies could be.

It is funnny how there's actually a couple of weird little mistakes in it. Like the scene continuity where Winston gets hired, and then when Venkman meets up with Dana, and back to the firehouse where Venkman meets up with Walter Peck. You can tell the scene with Winston and Peck are supposed to follow eachother up, but then the scene with Dana is sort of crowbarred in the middle.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
There's arcs in the movie. Primarily Venkman going from slimeball con artist to something resembling a hero, and the team as a whole going from confused amateurs who start out just runnning in terror from the library ghost, to causing massive collateral damage in the effort to catch one fairly harmless ghost to a group of competent heroes who can manage to banish an apocalypse bringing destroyer.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I'm going to call Devil May Cry.

I never thought the original was really anything great, and I kind of liked the stupid cheese of the second one about as much as the first. They're good movies, and classics, but not entirely top tier, if you get my drift.