Giant Octopus Attacks Diver's Camera, Caught on Video

Justin Boisvert

Jan 22, 2014
Giant Octopus Attacks Diver's Camera, Caught on Video

A giant Pacific octopus wrestles with a diver for his camera.

Two divers off the coast of California got an amazing surprise when a nearby rock turned out to be a human-sized octopus, and lunged for one of their cameras. A brief struggle ensued as the 8-foot cephalopod wrestled with the diver for the camera, like a boy-band sized Cthulhu tussling with underwater paparazzi.

Warren Murray and David Malvestuto, both experienced divers, were scuba diving near Carmel when the awesome encounter happened. The divers knew that octopuses were harmless and said that they were not afraid during the attack, according to the NY Daily News [http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/octopus-scuba-divers-camera-article-1.1617449]. Murray, who teaches underwater photography, saw movement from what he thought was a nearby rock, and realizing that it was an octopus he moved closer to take pictures. When the octopus lunged for the camera, he continued snapping pictures while Malvestuto filmed the entire incident. They then posted the amazing video on Youtube, with the video followed by first-person pictures of the attack from the camera's viewpoint.

Giant Pacific octopuses are among the largest cephalopods, although they are significantly smaller than their cousins, the giant squid. are not common in the area where the filming took place. While short-lived, octopuses are thought to be among the most intelligent creatures, and are masters of hiding and camouflage. They generally avoid contact with humans, or indeed with anything they can't kill and eat. The divers speculate that the reflection off the lens may have confused the octopus into thinking the camera was another octopus, triggering a violent response out of fear or hunger.

Source: NY Daily News [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZTU58O2sg]

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I've seen Octopi in several aquariums. There's one thing was the same in every one of their exhibits. A sign that says, "No Flash Photography".

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Obviously the octopus thought the divers were a camera crew for "COPS: Pacific Ocean" and was afraid his "failure to yield" ticket finally went to bench warrant.

Seriously, though, octopi are extremely clever animals. There's plenty of videos out there on how good they are at solving complex puzzles and escaping all sorts of enclosures. (And for those who think that attacking a camera makes an octopus dumb, I have two words for you: Sean Penn.)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I don't know why I was thinking the whole thing would be faster paced and more shaky. Must be because Hollywood has some obsession with the shaky cam. Or maybe because I'm use to watching videos occurring on land and everything tends to happen much faster.

Honestly, I don't think I would have been so calm as those guys. Having a large animal like that suddenly envelop my camera would be nerve wracking.

The Rogue Wolf said:
Obviously the octopus thought the divers were a camera crew for "COPS: Pacific Ocean" and was afraid his "failure to yield" ticket finally went to bench warrant.

Seriously, though, octopi are extremely clever animals. There's plenty of videos out there on how good they are at solving complex puzzles and escaping all sorts of enclosures. (And for those who think that attacking a camera makes an octopus dumb, I have two words for you: Sean Penn.)
Really not sure how that proves that the octopus is not dumb...

Honestly, I've heard that aquariums have a hard time keeping them in enclosures. It's not uncommon for them to be found dried out on the floor or even in other tanks eating all the fish there.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Saltyk said:
Honestly, I've heard that aquariums have a hard time keeping them in enclosures. It's not uncommon for them to be found dried out on the floor or even in other tanks eating all the fish there.
Damn straight. We used to have 2 small octopuses at our aquarium. 1 got out and was found on the floor, but they got it back in before it died.

Soon after the octopus disappeared again... and we have no idea where it went. It's just gone.

So I can confirm, Octopi are smart little buggers. When you can find them.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Saltyk said:
Damn straight. We used to have 2 small octopuses at our aquarium. 1 got out and was found on the floor, but they got it back in before it died.

Soon after the octopus disappeared again... and we have no idea where it went. It's just gone.

So I can confirm, Octopi are smart little buggers. When you can find them.
Have you checked to make sure that you don't have an extra family member that you weren't expecting somewhere? "Octodad" is based on reality, you know.

Hell, I was half-expecting a twist ending to that video where it turned out the CAMERAMAN was an octopus.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Really nice footage, although attack seems like a bit of an exaggeration. It looked more like the octopus was just checking it out.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Saltyk said:
I don't know why I was thinking the whole thing would be faster paced and more shaky. Must be because Hollywood has some obsession with the shaky cam. Or maybe because I'm use to watching videos occurring on land and everything tends to happen much faster.

Honestly, I don't think I would have been so calm as those guys. Having a large animal like that suddenly envelop my camera would be nerve wracking.
If you're doing it right; nothing happens at a fast pace when diving, and when you're weightless and not moving you actually have to try to make a camera shake.

I'm very jealous of those two divers. I've spent nearly two years working as a diver, 7 months of with the expresses purpose of filming stuff and nothing this cool ever happened to me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fun fact: Like the squid, octopi are not in the habit of having eyelids. Consequently, bright lights flashing in their 'face' would be very irritating.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I would also try to slap someone if they were shooting their camera with the damn flash less than a couple feet away from me though.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Octodad.png
I must... protect... my secret identity!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Objectable said:
http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Octodad.png
I must... protect... my secret identity!
What secret identity? All I see is an upstanding citizen defending his privacy from the rampant paparazzi and a smartly dressed and mustachioed father figure. None of which look remotely like Octopodes, octopi, or octopusses.