Giant Panda Blood Contains Antibiotics

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Aeshi said:
On the bright side, we now have an actual reason to try and keep them from going extinct besides pity.
I agree, a financial reason for keeping a species going WILL keep it goin.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Alssadar said:
Yay Pandas! Contributing to society in more than just awesome! SCIENCE!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/world-wildlife-fund-quickly-backtracks-after-annou,29362/
Finally, some real news!

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
PANDA BLOOD! ALL NATURAL IMMUNITY ENHANCER! DRINK IT! DRINK ALL THE PANDA BLOOD! DEAD PANDAS! WHHHAAAAAAAAEEEAAA!
I completely read that bit with Mr. Torgue's voice from Borderlands 2. I also added "SQUEEDLY MEEDLY MOW!" at the end.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Big deal, any living creature that is still alive contains natural antibiotics, even humans.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
blackrave said:
Big deal, any living creature that is still alive contains natural antibiotics, even humans.
Except these living creatures have antibiotics that we don't have. And humans have this really weird and insane desire to live for a long time without dying.

Would it be worth saving pandas for their body's ability to adjust the antibiotics to new threats? Meaning if we expose them to something we can't cure ourselves, maybe their bodies can come up with a solution? I know that sounds like lab testing on pandas, and it is, but I'm just curious.

Oct 22, 2011
Giant Panda Blood Contains Antibiotics[/B] The scientists will not have to worry about the dwindling population of Giant Pandas, or rely on their blood, because they have found a way to synthesize Cathelicidin-AM in a laboratory environment.
And here i thought that Pandas can be as useful as those guys:
[/spoiler]
Well, good for them.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Yeah sure scientist can synthesize the antibiotic but poachers cant.
Really I think it?s time that we simply let pandas go extinct you can?t fight natural selection in the end pandas simply can?t survive in a world with humans.
Well okay that?s not really how I feel but sometimes I wonder or we aren?t simply wasting a lot of money on something that?s simply supposed to die.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Only a few weeks ago someone (I forget who) on Dara O'Briain's Science Club was talking about how you never know what rare and endangered animals might be able to do for humans. He even used a giant panda as an example about how, for all we knew, it could benefit our medical systems.

Huh.

I almost feel sad that we can synthesise the antibody - I thought this would be enough of a reason to want to save giant pandas besides the fact that they just look adorable.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Frankly, I am usually amused at how absolutely awful science reporting is.

As has been already pointed out, many mammalian species produce these molecules, including H. sapiens. Discovering them in pandas is not surprising. Second, when posting science reporting, please link to the journal article [http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378111911006652]. I think it took me thirty seconds to find it. And while you're at it, at least dig as far as the abstract. And if reporting for a major publication, maybe have them pay for the full scientific article past the pay wall.

The actual article only states that the protein has anti-microbial properties where it interferes with cell walls (incidentally the mechanism of action of many classes of antibiotics as well as quite a few of our innate defenses). That's it. That's what this class of molecule is for. If the reporters had dug as far as the end of the first paragraph of the abstract, they would have found out that this class of molecule is already known and sequenced across many species. It's so well known that the researchers were able to find out which species the panda's version most resembled - namely, dog. So nothing really special about the panda. Maybe there will be a slight advantage because the variations between species. Bacteria which infect humans already resist the human version of the protein, so a novel version of it might provide a challenge the bacteria haven't seen before. However, these kinds of carefully speculative statements are a far cry from the way reporters report findings.