Gilbert Gottfried Dead at 67

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

A pretty big loss to the field of comedy, in my opinion. He was Iago in Aladdin, but he also did a fair bit more than that, and he stood out from the field with his voice if nothing else.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Jesus fuck, what the hell?!? If anyone doesn't believe in intelligent design, just look at who "nature" has taken out over the past few years; "something" is reminding us how precious this life is by taking out precious parts of it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

A pretty big loss to the field of comedy, in my opinion. He was Iago in Aladdin, but he also did a fair bit more than that, and he stood out from the field with his voice if nothing else.
Best goddamn version of The Aristocrats I ever heard. And Iago was always a big hit in my house.

RIP Gilbert Gottfried.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm gonna miss you big time Gottfired. Iago was always my favorite character. Thank you for all the wonderful years of joy and laugh you brought to my brother and I. Rest in peace...you're with Robin Williams now. Telling the best jokes.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
"After what he did to the New York City skyline, Donald Trump's nickname shouldn't be 'The Donald,' it should be 'the 20th hijacker'"
- during Trump's comedy central roast

Man I loved this guy. So much of his thing was just updated, re-worked Catskills Jewish comic stuff but he would just twist a bit as needed, and I just love that shit.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Jesus fuck, what the hell?!? If anyone doesn't believe in intelligent design, just look at who "nature" has taken out over the past few years; "something" is reminding us how precious this life is by taking out precious parts of it.
He was just another person. One you've never even met. Thousands of people die every day and few people care, but then a celebrity dies and suddenly it's a huge tragedy. Isn't it enough that they get millions of dollars without actually making any substantial contributions to society, does everybody really need to give them their love and adoration too?

Edit: sorry if it always seems like I'm picking on your posts. Take this as a general response to others in the thread as well.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
He was just another person. One you've never even met. Thousands of people die every day and few people care, but then a celebrity dies and suddenly it's a huge tragedy. Isn't it enough that they get millions of dollars without actually making any substantial contributions to society, does everybody really need to give them their love and adoration too?

Edit: sorry if it always seems like I'm picking on your posts. Take this as a general response to others in the thread as well.
What would you consider "any substantial contributions to society?" How about being an icon in the part of our community that makes our laughter their career and was renowned by millions of people for decades? Yeah, thousands of random people die every day, but most aren't known by most people.

You think you're being smart being ultra-pragmatic rationalizing that the death of a celebrity is no more notable than the death someone most people know nothing about, but no; you're being childish. Why did you click into this thread to begin with? If you believed yourself, you wouldn't have bothered unless you're just looking to stir the pot everyone else had washed, rinsed a put away a month ago. Oh, let me spare you: "Nu-uh! Old_Hunter_77 just replied to this thread on Wednesday!! And the last post before that was only 3 WEEKS ago!!"

The fact that you went back to a post from "almost" a month ago just to reply with your brand of contrarian nonsense, yeah it does seem like you're picking on my posts. But don't get it wrong; I don't care in the least. I've got over 4,300 post for you to rifle through for "material," and I will call a spade a spade every time I see one.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What would you consider "any substantial contributions to society?" How about being an icon in the part of our community that makes our laughter their career and was renowned by millions of people for decades? Yeah, thousands of random people die every day, but most aren't known by most people.

You think you're being smart being ultra-pragmatic rationalizing that the death of a celebrity is no more notable than the death someone most people know nothing about, but no; you're being childish. Why did you click into this thread to begin with? If you believed yourself, you wouldn't have bothered unless you're just looking to stir the pot everyone else had washed, rinsed a put away a month ago. Oh, let me spare you: "Nu-uh! Old_Hunter_77 just replied to this thread on Wednesday!! And the last post before that was only 3 WEEKS ago!!"

The fact that you went back to a post from "almost" a month ago just to reply with your brand of contrarian nonsense, yeah it does seem like you're picking on my posts. But don't get it wrong; I don't care in the least. I've got over 4,300 post for you to rifle through for "material," and I will call a spade a spade every time I see one.
I would say that an average person who works hard and helps people meet their basic needs are worth more than any celebrity or sports star. People who collect the garbage, clean the streets, produce goods, repair infrastructure etc. Anything practical, really. People can be entertained by anything, and have been for thousands of years, the work a movie star does isn't worth 10 000 regular people and they shouldn't get it. Or the people who do research and invent new technologies. The people who invented and refined the refrigerator and the microwave oven have done more for humanity than every movie star combined.

I don't browse this forum very often, so I didn't notice this was an old thread, I thought it was new. I clicked the thread because I didn't remember who Gilbert Gottfried was. And I replied to you because yours was the first post and also the most impassioned. After I posted I started to think that I'm always responding negatively to your posts, and I just wanted to make it clear that I don't have anything personal against you. I think you're fine, just it doesn't seem we see eye to eye all the time.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I would say that an average person who works hard and helps people meet their basic needs are worth more than any celebrity or sports star. People who collect the garbage, clean the streets, produce goods, repair infrastructure etc. Anything practical, really. People can be entertained by anything, and have been for thousands of years, the work a movie star does isn't worth 10 000 regular people and they shouldn't get it. Or the people who do research and invent new technologies. The people who invented and refined the refrigerator and the microwave oven have done more for humanity than every movie star combined.

I don't browse this forum very often, so I didn't notice this was an old thread, I thought it was new. I clicked the thread because I didn't remember who Gilbert Gottfried was. And I replied to you because yours was the first post and also the most impassioned. After I posted I started to think that I'm always responding negatively to your posts, and I just wanted to make it clear that I don't have anything personal against you. I think you're fine, just it doesn't seem we see eye to eye all the time.
I didn't mention "worth," I mentioned "celebrity." The world has never come to a grinding halt at the death of your garbage man, but has stopped at least a second to remember someone iconic remembered fondly for their history by countless millions. And as much as you want to diminish someone's contribution to society, you must conceded that entertainment is a large part of it. People use comedy as an escape, to be happy, and those proficient enough in it to garner a following that mourns their passing is someone of note. Where you place the value of an individual's life is on you, but MOST people understand someone adored by millions will always be more noteworthy than someone hopefully adored by dozens. Does that mean the former is worth more than the latter? No. But is acknowledging that "Steve down the street" is less recognizable than someone who spent 5 decades making people laugh? Absolutely.

Point is: don't post in a thread telling people to not feel bad because someone they never met but enjoyed has died because people die every day. Wasted keystrokes. Troll-ery. Bullshit. No one cares what you think about what they think, especially when it's a bunch of condescending, self-righteous nonsense. It's the Internet, not a diary; we [ideally] converse here; if you've something substantive to add to the discussion, please do; if it's just "I think, therefore I'm right," there are literally hundreds of threads you can do that in and engage with equally bullheaded people who will entertain your antics, i.e.: Current Events.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I didn't mention "worth," I mentioned "celebrity." The world has never come to a grinding halt at the death of your garbage man, but has stopped at least a second to remember someone iconic remembered fondly for their history by countless millions. And as much as you want to diminish someone's contribution to society, you must conceded that entertainment is a large part of it. People use comedy as an escape, to be happy, and those proficient enough in it to garner a following that mourns their passing is someone of note. Where you place the value of an individual's life is on you, but MOST people understand someone adored by millions will always be more noteworthy than someone hopefully adored by dozens. Does that mean the former is worth more than the latter? No. But is acknowledging that "Steve down the street" is less recognizable than someone who spent 5 decades making people laugh? Absolutely.
That's the messed up part. People are far too impressionable, and latch on to anybody who can make them laugh. With modern technology this means that one person can be adored by millions for no practical reason, and have influence far beyond their worth. Society is a mess, and this is a part of the reason.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
There was a few years ago from a new years program where they went over all the celebrity deaths that had occurred during the year that they made the point that there used to be fewer avenues to becoming a famous, and we've entered the era where those avenues have been open for so long that those that became famous through those avenues are dying. With more ways to become famous, there are more celebrities and therefore more deaths.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's the messed up part. People are far too impressionable, and latch on to anybody who can make them laugh. With modern technology this means that one person can be adored by millions for no practical reason, and have influence far beyond their worth. Society is a mess, and this is a part of the reason.
Society is not a mess because we find Gilbert Gottfried funny and think it’s a shame he is no longer going to make people laugh in person.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I don't remember you being this dour before Drath. Everything going ok with you?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't remember you being this dour before Drath. Everything going ok with you?
I've always been pretty down on celebrity culture. Things are fine other than I need to spend 2 months living in a city I dislike and haven't been sleeping all that well. You don't need to worry, I'm fine.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I've always been pretty down on celebrity culture. Things are fine other than I need to spend 2 months living in a city I dislike and haven't been sleeping all that well. You don't need to worry, I'm fine.
Just seemed to be a way you've been acting in general on the forums. But if you say you're fine then I won't push the matter.