Gin = Not manly?

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I'd have to say that Gin, of all drinks, is one of the most manly. There were laws against it during the middle ages because all people did was drink gin, and no work was done. The British drank it with tonic made with quinine while conquering Africa because quinine helps fight malaria. And plus they're in Africa, you'd have to be drunk to move there. The only hard liqour I can't stand because it seems lesser is spiced rum. It's far too sweet. Tequila I can't stand due to the taste. There's people that love it, and people that hate it, but after you've had that one extremely bad night with tequila, you don't go back. Vodka, whiskey, gain, bourbon, scotch, I've had bad nights with, but that tequila night. That was the last straw. Tequila is the drink that makes you say 'fuck off' to the police while you're spewing your guts out.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Gin is nasty. That doesn't make it any more or less girly, but seriously, gin is fucking nasty.

How can you be disgusted with vodka, which only really tastes of what you put in it, but not gin?

Jun 11, 2008
Ok mixed drinks like that say any alcohol plus a soft drinks are considered girly. I suppose it is consider a bit of a posh drink too. To reiterate alcohol+soft drink=girly.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Aetera said:
Are you serious? Gin, a rich, cultured liquor? Maybe it's just me being too interested in history, but I'll forever associate gin with the the low class of 18th century England.

Gin Craze, anyone? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze]

Yeah, this was my thought as well. It was a great feat of social engineering that got everyone drinking less dangerous things. Although considering the stuff that was in the water at that time, it could be argued that gin was, in fact, one of the less dangerous things.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Astro-Boy said:
If you are underage and trying to get a drink at a bar, you order gin. Nobody will question your age.

That should sum up the manliness of it if you ask me. Or at least, the adultness of it.

*EDIT*
Further, I've never taken a lady home after she's had too much gin. Vodka, tequila, even whiskey if mixed. But not gin.
I have a story like that. It involves underage drinking. all my "manly" friends went for the beer, I had a vodka and coke a "girly" drink. Thing is, the security guy decided we weren't old enough to drink. So. He took away all the beers. My "coke" wasn't even questioned. Commence face rubbing. :D

about the OP though... Alcohol is alcohol. In terms of manliness quantity matters more than type :p

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
lithium.jelly said:
I've heard good things about Plymouth gin, but I've never seen it for sale in my country. You're American though, you should be able to find it if you want to sample it.

Hendrick's is awesome, but again, really hard to find in Australia. :(
I can vouch for the quality of Plymouth's, it's one of my favourites. Bombay Sapphire is still probably the best though.

Also, try adding a slice of cucumber to some Hendrick's. Sounds a little weird, but trust me, it makes an amazing summer drink.

Man, Gin is fucking awesome.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
Just putting this out there as a Scotsman in a strange land - but I have no idea why Gin is considered a girly drink.
It just is.
Like the tides.
Hell - I genuinely never knew that it was widely considered otherwise until I read this thread. My instinctive, cultural, nay, genetic response to hearing the word Gin is to give a slight smirk and to contemptuously look into my own drink while my face automatically goes into 'you must be joking' mode.
Nothing we can do about it. Conditioned response.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Vern5 said:
So I'm in Taiwan for a bit of work and I've been hanging out with some Scottish visitors. At some point, we started talking about preferred drinks with most of them voting for some mix of vodka. My immediate reaction to the word "Vodka" was blatant disgust and then I told them that I prefer Gin and Tonic or just straight Gin if I was having a bad day.

They told me two things about my preferred alcohol. 1) Gin is a rich/cultured man's liquor 2) Gin is also a girly man's liquor.

Is this a scottish mentality or is Gin generally looked at this way? What are your thoughts on the possible girliness of gin?
Do not sweat it. Different cultures view various drinks differently. To a bunch of tough Scotts, Gin is a girly drink, to another ethnicity Gin is perfect and to others Gin (or any alcohol) is a sin. To most Scotts the only drink they are with me in our taste in beers, keep in mind to be fair it have to be a blind taste test since I am sure they view some beers as rubbish due to its origins.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Drink what you want... I hate when insecure guys say "this is a girly drink".

If something is pink and delicious, will get me liquored up, and has a good quantity/price ratio I'll get it wherever.

If anything, girls will sometimes ask you what you're drinking.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
NightlyNews said:
LetalisK said:
Speaking of gin, am I the only one that thinks gin tastes like celery? Is this normal?
Celery tastes like water ...

So you think gin tastes like water?
I think celery has its own distinct earthy taste, personally.