Girl Bullied For Star Wars Fandom, Stormtroopers Come to The Rescue

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Ukomba said:
I had no idea that Star Wars was considered a boy fandom. Most of the best characters (3 of my top 5 favorites) are female. My wife is a huge fan, and my daughter loves lightsabers.

It's funny that Weird Al Yankovic is involved since he's also involved with another gender crossing fandom.

I love these guys and their story. Especially how Zahn was so in touch with the fandom that he officially brought them in to canon in Survivor's Quest.
after the purge of EU from canon, are they still considered as such? oh wait, they're in Battlefront 2, as well, right? not sure if that survived the purge or not though.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ukomba said:
I had no idea that Star Wars was considered a boy fandom. Most of the best characters (3 of my top 5 favorites) are female. My wife is a huge fan, and my daughter loves lightsabers.

It's funny that Weird Al Yankovic is involved since he's also involved with another gender crossing fandom.

I love these guys and their story. Especially how Zahn was so in touch with the fandom that he officially brought them in to canon in Survivor's Quest.
after the purge of EU from canon, are they still considered as such? oh wait, they're in Battlefront 2, as well, right? not sure if that survived the purge or not though.
Much like Coruscant, The 501st is saved by Lucas's embrace of the fandom and EU. They were officially part of Episode 3 which is their new DU 'first appearance'.

S*** Disney is already making me miss Lucas's poor handling of the franchise. -_-

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Ukomba said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ukomba said:

Much like Coruscant, The 501st is saved by Lucas's embrace of the fandom and EU. They were officially part of Episode 3 which is their new DU 'first appearance'.

S*** Disney is already making me miss Lucas's poor handling of the franchise. -_-

from in the clone wars they often mentioned the 501st even having painted on the side of ships and that

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Demagogue said:
Ralancian said:
There's no 'these days' about it I still have pretty ugly dreams about being bullied at school and I left 14 years ago now...my father left school 38 years ago and was heavily bullied as well.

Some people are shits and they teach their kids it's okay to be shits and it has always been the case.
True, it has always been there... and has always been all sorts of variety of kids that got bullied. It will probably always be there too, because lets face it, there are humans that can be extremely self-centered, and will do pretty much anything to get into the spot light.
It's just part of normal human group dynamics. Groups of people like conformity and they enforce conformity through social shaming. You can see grown adults indulging in this on Twitter in a daily basis.

I'm not saying that this little girl doesn't deserve sympathy as clearly she does (and so does anyone who is the victim of bullying), but it's disheartening to see people writing this off as just kids being mean.

Don't we have a feature here called something like, "No Right Answer". This is one of those cases. Bullying will never go away, it just adapts and evolves into more culturally acceptable forms. If you want to see sublime bullying, try being a japanese middle schooler.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
CommanderL said:
Ukomba said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ukomba said:

from in the clone wars they often mentioned the 501st even having painted on the side of ships and that
OF course it was, it was the Legion assigned to Anakin, and the one that attacked the Temple. Would be odd to put a different legion in the cartoon. After it appeared in Survivors Quest and then Episode 3 it cropped up everywhere, it was a fan favorite after all.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wow, really? I understand kids can be cruel, but I've haven't heard Stars Wars referred to as a 'boy's thing' since the lame sit coms of the 90's (and Big Bang Theory). At least she's okay, and that armour is *****'n.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
You know, I really hoped this involved the 501st marching into the school and laying down some imperial justice. A man(-child) can dream.

I might have to look into joining the UK Garrison of the 501st. Not sure if I can justify the cost of a TIE pilot outfit though.

martyrdrebel27 said:
after the purge of EU from canon
In the spirit of #FucKonami, I'd like to introduce my own hashtag #EUatADickney... eh, it's not quite as good.
Still, the X-Wing novels are always going to be canon to me. I'm praying that Rogue One will turn out to be Red Tails/Battle of Britain (the 1969 film) in the Star Wars Galaxy, following Rogue Squadron and Wedge "Look at the size of that thing!" Antilles. It won't be, but it certainly could and should be.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Ah, it's always nice to see geeks standing up for each other. Seriously, why the hell would a girl be picked on for liking Star Wars?! Well, at least she has Weird Al and the 501st on her side. I would have loved to have seen how that all went down...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, to be honest my thoughts are very mixed. On it's surface this sounds cool, but I am wondering if there was actually bullying involved, and of course if there was it occurs to me that this kind of intervention is awesome to read about but one also has to remember that what happens when all of the victim's cool friends aren't around anymore can't be predicted.

As some people have pointed out "Star Wars" isn't a boy's franchise exclusively. Star Wars has been popular with girls almost as long as it's been around with Princess Leia being iconic, and the prequels going out of their way to set up Amadala as an action girl... which helped along Natalie Portman's career and she's even been able to do movies subtly parodying her early role.

It sucks but it needs to be understood a school can only have so many "Alphas" and at a certain point you start seeing strong personalities bang into each other and of course when that happens only one of them winds up dominating. A lot has been written about this, shown in movies, talked about in songs, etc... it's part of human behavior. Typically you wind up seeing one pecking order develop among students up through Jr. High, and then a separate pecking order appear in High School which can be very different. The parents talk about their daughter being more withdrawn and "less herself" as the primary symptom, and that seems pretty typical of a strong personality that has simply wound up on the losing end. That doesn't mean someone is being bullied (though it can). My initial thought was that picking on "Star Wars" for being "boyish" was simply the competition looking for something that could get under her skin, and it worked. When the social order settles is when you have to worry, the people at the very bottom who have no friends and get pariah status are the ones who are generally bullied. If she has friends she might just being socially relegated to the invisible masses in the middle between the popular kids and the nerds at the bottom. Having a strong personality means one comes into conflict for the social Darwinism. School is a bloody shark tank... sociologists have had a field day studying the patterns year after year. It sucks, but the parents might just being overprotective. If the problem persists and it goes beyond the "Star Wars" stuff, the girl winds up with no friends, etc... that's when you need to worry and bullying becomes an issue.

I'm simply pointing this out (and probably not articulating it well) because of the whole non-sequitur some people have pointed out about Star Wars never having been boys only. I mean heck, even when I was a kid it was marketed very cross gender, and if a Chewbacca shirt is involved that's odd because Chewie has always been seen as "cute" and one of the iconic characters girls have always been attracted to even when traditionally "girly", and the same can be said about R2-D2. I don't know anything, I'm just making a guess because the situation seems a bit weird. It's possible the parents are overprotective and don't remember what school is like.

That said in this case it's going to be a self correcting problem I imagine, the new Star Wars movie is out in December is it not? Shortly thereafter a new wave of "Star Wars" mania will hit, and I can virtually guarantee every kid of both gender is going to be clamouring after the merch. She bides her time, and she can toss the irony right back at the people being critical when they all want similar kinds of stuff to what she already has. There is a certain power in school to being able to say you were into something "before it was cool", which she can do now since she was there ahead of any of them.