Girlfriend vs Mom dilemma

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I have an esophagus condition known as Barrett's esophagus. It is damage to the lining of the esophagus caused by chronic acid reflux. It puts me at a mild risk for esophageal cancer. It has been recommended to me to have a somewhat minor surgery that involves putting a mesh into my esophagus to prevent acid reflux. Up till now I had relied on omeperazole and antacids, but this surgery could help a lot.

Although it is always hoped for one's significant other and one's mother to get along it is often not the case. Due to some things I have told my girlfriend about my mother she strongly dislikes her. My girlfriend believes my mother does not care about me at all. I can understand how certain things have led her to believe that and I can agree with her about some things but I do think she is exaggerating to at least some degree. But, regardless my girlfriend says she feels extremely uneasy around her and doesn't want to be around her. Therefore my girlfriend does not want to have to be around with her especially alone all day when I have surgery. Both my mother and girlfriend have fairly severe anxiety issues. I know either one of them would be in quite distress if they weren't around for it.

I tried to nicely convince my mother that it would be alright and that my girlfriend could text her to keep her updated on things. However, due to my mother's anxiety issues I also understand that my mother would be very much in distress. Due to how my girlfriend percieves my mother she does not actaully believe she would have the problems she would if she was not at the hospital during the surgery.

This puts me in a complicated situation. It seems like I would have to upset my mother and cause her the distress of not being at the hospital despite the fact that she knows that I know what kind of issues she has. Also in doing this I do not want my mother to find out the reason is because my girlfriend strongly dislikes her and doesn't want to be around her. I know one is supposed to take their significant other's side in these type of situations. I have attempted to do so with minimal conflict between me and my mother and to avoid letting her know my girlfriend strongly dislikes her. However, it seems the only way to make that happen would be to highly upset my mother as well as put her through the stress and worry. It would also be rather bad that I could possibly strongly upset my mother and have the situation not even be changed anyway.

What complicates matters is that I am unfortunately still financially dependent on my mother. If I was to cut off contact from my mother completely I wouldn't even be having surgery to begin with and that would become the least of my worries. I had previously suggested to my girlfriend that I'd just cancel the surgery as it wasn't worth the stress this was causing. At times my girlfriend would get rather upset and angry and suggest she cannot be with me due to feeling my mother has too much control over me. I certainly would rather not have surgery than have my girlfriend break up with me over it. But, my girlfriend would also get mad when I would suggest that as it would simply be jeopardizing my health due to my mothers control. So, that doesn't seem to be an option either.

At this point I cannot think of the best possible solution. I would like to convince my mother to not attend without making her too angry, or know that it is because my girlfriend dislikes her. I not only care about my mothers feelings even though my girlfriend believes she does not have them but even if I didn't it could create financial troubles for me due to my situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
You may just have to ask your girlfriend to be the bigger person and suck it up and be there with your mother. If it's going to cause a problem if only one of them is there, no matter which one, they may both have to just deal with it for one day and both be there.

This surgery is for your health, and if your girlfriend cannot be around your mother for this one occasion and also cannot bear to not be with you for your surgery to the point of considering breaking up with you, then the problems are probably running deeper than just that or your girlfriend is not ready to be in a serious relationship.

She doesn't have to pretend to be your mother's best friend, and I'm sure she probably doesn't even have to hang out all day in the hospital with your mother (there are probably different areas of the hospital, like a caf?, where she can wait). It's okay for your girlfriend to dislike your mother, but she needs to accept that your mother is a part of your life.

Good luck with this, and with your surgery.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
It sounds like your girlfriend is being quite petty in this situation. The fact is that you are financially dependent on your mother so even if your girlfriend is right that your mother is a bad person, she has to respect that you're stuck with her for now. Since it sounds like your mother is the one paying for the surgery, it's really your girlfriend who needs to compromise by either not attending, or tolerating your mother for a day. Without knowing what your relationship with your mother is like, it may be the case that her controlling behaviour needs to be addressed, but now isn't the time.
It's extremely selfish of your girlfriend to put her desire not to be with your mother over your needs, and cause you this stress on top of what you are already suffering with an impending surgery.

Nemmerle

Mar 11, 2016
Your financial situation is the most important thing at the moment. If it's going to keep your mother paying, then that's the way that seems to me to make the most sense to compromise. Even if you could get away with compromising in the other direction it's unlikely that you could do so without cost - and you don't know at the moment whether you're going to need her for something in the future.

You might talk to your girlfriend about compromising - you might even phrase it in those sorts of terms depending upon how dispassionate you think she can be - but at the end of the day, if she doesn't like it she'll just have to suck it up. It's not a good idea to sacrifice the relationship on which your financial stability depends for a girlfriend.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. I had thought that although my girlfriend doesn't like the fact that I am still somewhat dependent on my mother for now she would have to learn to accept it and deal with it as much as she can. My mother and her have never had direct arguments or anything and my mother has only been pleasant to her in person. My girlfriend just doesn't like certain things she does or feels she doesn't do enough or appreciate her and all that. I had explained that although it isn't the ideal situation being financially dependent on my mother she is still somewhat in control as long as she is. I have told her it won't be forever but it is just something that has to be tolerated for the time being. So I believe I will just ask her to please just endure it for the day and see what she does. She has expressed if that was the case she would have to just not go and appear to be uncaring. But, I will just have to do that and hope for the best.