Girlfriends and Gaming

PaulyWalnuts

Sep 7, 2009
I've been dating a girl for little less than a year, who doesn't mind my excessive gaming. She asks about what bosses I killed today, gets excited when I tell her I got a dog in FO3, and loves that I like the artistic side of games not just the "how many noobs I can pwn," which is what her previous boyfriends were like. She doesn't game at all beyond mariokart. She let me play FO3 with my arms wrapped around her; she likes watching me play Dead Space because "it's like a horror movie;" and she laughs when I headshot people.

This is mind-boggling to me because my prior girlfriends got all up in arms that my gaming cut into "our time" even though I made it abundantly clear that I know my priorities.

Guys, do you have any stories like this? Girlfriends (or hopefully ex's) who hate the fact that you spend some time away from them to escape?

Girls, why do other girls hate the fact that guys like the game? Or on the rare occasion, did you have a boyfriend that hated the fact you gamed?

Let's hear it

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Can't say my girlfriend hates my gaming habit, mostly considering she bought me a PS3 two years back as an anniversary present.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
My ex-girlfriend seemed to like watching me play. We had some different tastes in games, but I do remember she inadvertently got me into Tekken.

GracefulSerenity

Sep 9, 2009
I'm a gamer girl and I took the time to try and actually play any of the games they liked with them when I could and when I couldn't play with them I would watch, ask questions, help solve puzzles and basically try to interact as much as possible although I know many girls mostly hate video games or the fact their boyfriends play I can understand for some girls who's boyfriends spend a freakishly long amount of time playing and then expect them to sexually please them while STILL playing the game. Honestly as long as it isn't taken to an extreme there is always a way to keep both happy. Finding a gamer girl (Although there don't seem to be many I have noticed since I recently went to a GameStop and was rather surprised by seeing the first female I had ever seen working there.) is probably your best bet and most girls will take it as cutting into your time together if they have no interest in the game or you can't find a way to get them interested as well. I did have one boyfriend who hated the fact that I was a gamer and that but I got over that quickly and he didn't even last the day. (If you can even call that a boyfriend) If you have a girlfriend now who is happy to get involved in your gaming be VERY HAPPY a lot of guys really wish they could find that sort of thing but hardly do.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
PaulyWalnuts said:
I've been dating a girl for little less than a year, who doesn't mind my excessive gaming. She asks about what bosses I killed today, gets excited when I tell her I got a dog in FO3, and loves that I like the artistic side of games not just the "how many noobs I can pwn," which is what her previous boyfriends were like. She doesn't game at all beyond mariokart. She let me play FO3 with my arms wrapped around her; she likes watching me play Dead Space because "it's like a horror movie;" and she laughs when I headshot people.

This is mind-boggling to me because my prior girlfriends got all up in arms that my gaming cut into "our time" even though I made it abundantly clear that I know my priorities.
This is your time as a couple. Part of being together is doing things together, but that's up to each couple what it consists of. When we're together, my boyfriend and I play together or against each other, but there are also times where each will play alone with the other watching. We just did this over the weekend when he was finishing up Arkham Asylum and I watched for a while. We chatted and he held me in his arms and we joked around and did other stuff. I also helped with a few strategies. As long as you're interacting with each other, connecting, and engaged with each other, then it counts.

Sounds like your exes were just less compatible.

Redliph

Aug 28, 2009
I met my girlfriend on a private server for some little Korean MMO. When it comes to gaming she does it as much as I do though she prefers puzzle games and real time strategy. I have never beaten her at Starcraft, Warcraft 3, or in PvP stuff. She is also a better sniper than me in FPS. It is fun but I wouldn't say it is neccesary for the relationship to go on.

I look at it as if I were a huge football fan and met a girl who was a big football fan. It is great to meet folks who you have things in common with. Makes for a good mate in general, so I know what you mean.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
PaulyWalnuts said:
My friend, I envy you greatly. You are lucky that you have a girl who understands your hobbies and supports them. I haven't had many girlfriends before, but they never understood my obsession with gaming. It made the gap between us really wide (in my opinion) and wasn't good.

Like I said, I envy you. You lucky dog.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Never had a girlfriend like that. Haven't really had a girlfriend period in quite some time for that matter.
Your girlfriend sounds quite ideal, I'm jealous.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
I like gaming guys. I like having a guy around to finish all the difficult or scary parts.

I like playing games and watching games, so I do not mind dating a gamer. I would mind if we spend ALL our time playing games though.

I like to go and play at the arcade with boyfriends a lot. Go one on one at the old street fighter games.

Up until now, boys do not seem to mind my gaming, I suppose that they are happy because I do not drag them out shopping. I like shopping, but I do not want to show boyfriends how much money I spend.

I have dated non-gamers before, but they have been fairly easy to drag over to the dark side of gaming

Now I am single, and play alone...

ZZ-Tops89

Mar 7, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0

She will make you buy her stuff/listen to her complain about EVERYTHING/be generally evil. Or worse it's like a time-bomb Scott Pilgrim thing.

Redliph

Aug 28, 2009
ZZ-Tops89 said:

She will make you buy her stuff/listen to her complain about EVERYTHING/be generally evil. Or worse it's like a time-bomb Scott Pilgrim thing.
A trap? His girlfriend actually has a penis? =O

You sound like a man who has been hurt in the past. Unless you are referring specifically to gamer girls with that statement. Either way, kinda argumentative.

TheBigInterview

Jun 21, 2009
My girlfriend is more into the online games, but she does like to play Nazi Zombies and Rock Band with me :3

And you know, the occasional 4chan. what.

Emilie Diabolica

May 26, 2009
Girls, why do other girls hate the fact that guys like the game?
Well, it just sounds like those girls are very possessive of their boy's time. Could be a form of narcissism - like, they want themselves to be the centre of his attention. All the time. Heh... i kinda feel sorry for guys with a chick like that D:

Or on the rare occasion, did you have a boyfriend that hated the fact you gamed?
Nope. I actually met my current boyfriend through gaming ^^. However, if this counts, the majority of our arguments are over Sony vs. Microsoft (he's a playstation man).. Theyre not really arguments though... =/

ZZ-Tops89

Mar 7, 2009
Redliph said:
ZZ-Tops89 said:

A trap? His girlfriend actually has a penis? =O

You sound like a man who has been hurt in the past. Unless you are referring specifically to gamer girls with that statement. Either way, kinda argumentative.
No, I just had to crowbar in that video somehow no matter how stupid, tangential, or insane. I apologize for my temporary loss of insanity, I will now resume my normal form of insanity, which is far sensical but much less plausible.

Honestly it sounds like a good relationship and I wish the person who started this thread the best of luck with it.

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
My ex-fiance and I used to play video games all the time together. When he bought FFXII, we would sit in the bedroom or the living room and talk to each other about it while one of us were playing it. We would also help each other if we needed it. Same goes for RE4. He would help me if I got stuck on that game. I love that my ex and I both liked video games. We would also play DDR, GH, and Rock Band together. I think it was something that brought us a little closer together.

One reason I think my ex left me was because I spent a lot of time on my computer. I had been without internet for 2 years so I used internet as much as I could. Sometimes, it is not good being on the computer or playing video games a lot unless you are doing something together.

I have two friends of mine who are having this problem. He loves to play video games and she doesn't. She complains to me all the time that he spends too much time on the games. They can kill a relationship because I think it is killing theirs.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
My Ex playfully jumped on my when i was playing Halo. I shouted at her.

Yes, In a choice of Sex Or Halo, I chose halo.

She wouldnt wait, And i wasnt willing to quit Mid-game.