Girlfriends! (or significant others) How do they take to gaming?

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Me and my girlfriend will sometimes play a 2 player game, she really loves that, but lately I just play a one player game and she naps on me. Is she board of watching? Yes. Does she like napping on me? YES!

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Me and my girlfriend once played guild wars together that's about it, we both prefer single player games but we don't game that often so it works.

Esper Empress

May 10, 2011
Me and my boyfriend play video games and have always done so since we were little, but I know our issues are is that either we have 'creative differences' on games that we play, or that we would love to play certain games with each other, but we can never find time to do it.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
She's not a major gamer, but she plays video games occasionally. Loves the Sly Cooper series, actually.

So, yeah, she approves.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
She takes to it like a duck to Peking.

As in, she'd elect to be cooked and marinated before she'd play a videogame.

thegrimfandango

May 26, 2010
My girlfriend isn't a massive gamer, but she is quite geeky and intrigued by the medium and will have a shot at the odd one, but finds the controller quite difficult to handle at times. She's kind of a could-have-been gamer, she used to play the first Tomb Raider and things back in the day but sort of drifted away from it after that. If she'd discovered story-based games I think she'd be as bad as me as if I'm playing something with an interesting plot I'll usually look up to find she's stopped college work and is watching me :p She loves watching Mass Effect especially, and is also quite interesting in me talking about mechanics and how/why a game interests me.
Having said that, she did listen to me dribble on about Skyrim yesterday to the point where I had to explain the concept of 'Bethesda Face', so she either has the patience of a saint, or I'm fantastically good in bed or something.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
On a case by case basis. To be honest, it's largely a private hobby for me, given that I don't own a console or a fast enough internet connection to play online from my laptop at the moment.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Varun Garuda Maharaj said:
I Don't have a girlfriend so I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You just keep telling youself that.
[sub]I know I do...[/sub]
What?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
She likes to play about 20% of the games I do, more or less. Pretty much the inversion of me to the books she reads. (a lot of books. A lot.) She's a big Mario and Portal fan anyway, I'm actually really looking forward to playing the co-op of Portal with her when I have the time.

[sub]Even though I nearly drove her (and everyone else) around me mad by going on and on about it.[/sub]

Mathew Green

Apr 7, 2011
My girlfriend does like games, but no where near as much as I do. I also find it interesting that she takes a different approach towards them than I do. She doesn't mind watching me play but I dont really play when she's there, sometimes I'll play for an hour or two though. My biggest achievement was getting her to play Monkey Island 2 and enjoy it. Also got her to try Minecraft but that may take a bit of time.

Mathew Green

Apr 7, 2011
sage42 said:
I just play a one player game and she naps on me. Is she board of watching? Yes. Does she like napping on me? YES!
Do this quite often too. I think it's the "Double Win" situation :D

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
jeff02x2 said:
Just thought id ask how guys into gaming or other geeky hobbies, who have girlfriends that are not as geekily inclined lets say, approach gaming with their girlfriend (if at all). This also applies to the rare breed of geeky girls who's boyfriends arn't geeky (im not saying geeky girls are rare, but if you are a geeky girl there are usually hundreds of geeky guys wanting to jump on you!)

Do you only play when your other is not around, do you try to introduce them to gaming, do you force it on them or god forbid do you ignore them for hours on end whilst you have a W.O.W marathon or modern warfare party?

my better half is by no means a fan of gaming but enjoys watching me play games that have interesting gamplay and story (fallout, assasins creed, mafia to name a couple she has enjoyed watching) which makes me a very happy gamer! Also encouraged her to buy her own xbox and she is owning fable at the moment (something sexy about watching a girl who is good at games).

Thought it may be interesting to see what approaches you guys have to gaming with your other half?
My girlfriend likes that I am a gamer, and enjoys my success'. She will play RPG's, Portal 2, dnd, etc with me and my friends. She's pretty much awesome. Heck, she even understands why I get 'sick' on game release dates sometimes. (Weeps) So... so.. awesome.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Sofar it was always just a hobby of mine they didn't like, and in rare cases was extremely disliked so I learned to shut up about it.

It be nice to get a girl into it, but how can games compete with shoes... maybe a game about shoes? Is there such a thing?

Ultimate Evil

Feb 18, 2011
My ex-girlfriend was deeply rooted in Family Values-type thinking, and was convinced that RPGs had satanic undertones and FPSs turned people into murderers. She played a bit of Super Mario, though. I didn't have the nerve to ask what she thought of strategy games.

By the way, I disagreed with her negative opinions about games. Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea there.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
My girlfriend shows very little interest in gaming, though i'm not so hardcore into gaming so that I mind.
However Eyetoy for the ps2 and san andreas two player she found fun so maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnrl.

Even if she found pokemon boring.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
BabyRaptor said:
<-- Single geeky female. We do exist.
But! Do you have a phone number?
Sorry I had to :p

Actually wanted to ask, with thousands of single guys on this site alone that would love nothing more then to meet a gamer girl, why do you stay single?

thegrimfandango

May 26, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Sofar it was always just a hobby of mine they didn't like, and in rare cases was extremely disliked so I learned to shut up about it.

It be nice to get a girl into it, but how can games compete with shoes... maybe a game about shoes? Is there such a thing?
I own about 2 pairs of shoes and mostly could not give a rats ass about them if they aren't a disgusting colour and my feet are dry. I'd buy a decent RPG over a pair of shoes any day.