Give yourself RPG stats

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
Greetings fellow Escapists,

A friend recently convinced me to start reading The Gamer and it got me thinking: if I were in an RPG what would my stats be? So here I'll pose the same question to everyone here: what would your RPG stats be?

For a valid comparison I suggest using the D&D attribute system. 10 is considered average in a stat. For the sake of comparison assume 10 is average for someone of your given age and size. i.e. a 20 year old and a 80 year old might both have average strength of 10 but it does not mean both are equal to each other. Just a few points above or below indicate a considerable change.

I'll list the attributes, explanations, and a few quick examples down below:

Strength (STR)How generally strong you are. Primarily focused on short term physical activities such as weightlifting or sprinting. A 12 might indicate someone who lifts weights consistently whereas a 8 might indicate a person being unable to consistently open pickle jars (damn those jars!).

Dexterity (DEX) How adept you are at working with your hands or how light and agile you might be on your feet. A professional gymnast might have a DEX of 16 whereas someone like a GOOD dentist might have a DEX of 12.

Constitution (CON) Your generally healthiness or endurance. A CON of 12 might indicate someone who runs consistently where as an 8 indicates someone who gets winded walking up several flights of stairs.

Intelligence (INT) How smart you are. A 12 might indicate someone who has studied a particular subject for a few years or is a natural quick learner and a 8 might indicate someone you consistently struggles through schoolwork.

Wisdom (WIS) Your common sense or knowledge of a non academic skill. A 12 might be someone who's acted in a leadership position for several years and an 8 might indicate someone young and inexperienced.

Charima (CHA) How well you talk to others. A 12 indicates someone who is used to speaking to groups of people or whose job requires them to interact with people consistently (lawyers and whatnot). An 8 indicates someone who is a tad "shut in" and doesn't socialize in groups well.

Don't take the examples as too literal. They're more there for a reference for scale then to be strict guidelines. If you feel you have a higher stat for other reasons by all means indicate as such.

STR 9
DEX 10
CON 10
INT 13 Four years of study and thousands of dollars of debt says I've earned it...
WIS 10
CHA 9
Total 61

And for extra fun I'll see if I can average the stats of those that post so we can get a feel for how highly those on the Escapist think of themselves.

Number of posters 65 + one obvious outlier

Average Stats
STR 10.01
DEX 10.29
CON 10.21
INT 11.86
WIS 10.45
CHA 9.27
Total 63.17

Median Stats
STR 10
DEX 10
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 9
Total 61

Please note the median and average totals are calculated from each individual sub total and may not equal sum of each averaged attribute.

Last Update: May 9, 10:06pm EST

Oct 10, 2011
I predict that almost everyone here will give themselves intelligence above 10.

STR 11
DEX 8
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 8
CHA 11
I don't really think it's all that accurate, given that we are talking about ourselves. Might be interesting to see how people view themselves, though.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hmm, your guidelines seem to suggest 10 being average while the D&D NPC standard array [10,10,10,11,11,11] suggests that 10.5 is the average. Worthless thread is worthless!

Str 8
Dex 9
Con 9
Int 13
Wis 11
Cha 10

username sucks said:
I predict that almost everyone here will give themselves intelligence above 10.
Well, the standard for 12 int does seem a bit lower than 12 for anything else; you merely have to have studied something for a few years (aka graduated college).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I suspect people are going to be as truthful here as they were in the "how long is your cock" thread, so let's have fun with these.

STR - 4, I threw a punch once
DEX - 6, I can sprint up a flight of stairs
CON - 7, No major diseases that I know of
INT - 5, I could've been a contender
WIS - Oscillating between 4 and 7, subject to status ailments
CHA - 6, I have a girlfriend

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Thankfully, I'm old enough now to realize how stupid I human I am but still young enough to have good stats! Suck on that people who are young and "invincible" and old people! :D

Strength (STR): 11
I have not been lifting for long but I started lifting a few months ago in an effort to stop being such a fat bastard. I may still be a fat bastard (it's only been like...two months so be patient tippy2k2) but I'm a strong fat bastard now :D

Dexterity (DEX) 9
For whatever reason, I am generally good on my feet (soccer player) and with my hands (gamer). I'm not the most agile or flexible but I can be quiet when I want to be. However, the general physique of a fat bastard as well as a few ankle issues I have keep me from being able to go above average. Like most of my stats, I am hoping the physical ones will get better as I do more and more gym stuff.

Constitution (CON) 11
I'm actually pretty good about this even with the fat bastardness that has been well established. I played soccer for years and I am weirdly very active for a fatty. I have run in a few 5K's (not much but I imagine that's more than the average person). Once again, cardio at the gym will hopefully get that even higher eventually.

Intelligence (INT) 12
Academically, I have always been very good. A's throughout high school and B's in college (would have been higher had I not been a cocky D-bag about freshmen year since I cruised through high school). I learn really easily. It's just a shame that...

Wisdom (WIS) 9
...I am not "street smart". I know things but I don't know what to do with it. I have a lot of knowledge but I struggle to actually apply said knowledge on anything outside the classroom.

Charima (CHA) 8
Damn it, I was doing so well too. If I get into an actual conversation with someone you can kick that number to like...11 or something but getting me to go to parties, open up with people, talk with strangers, etc. is really difficult for me. Once I have started engaging with someone I can be the life of the party but that barrier has always been there for me.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
STR- 9, I have quite a large build, but I have never lifted a weight in my life.
DEX- 10, I have decent reflexes and am able to have fine motor skills. I am also flexible to a weird degree.
CON- 9, I have never had any major illnesses, though I do bruise easy.
INT- 11, am able to naturally learn most academic pursuits ahead of most people, though I am still in school for engineering.
WIS- 11, I have always tried to consider my actions before acting.
CHA- 10, people like me, though I don't have the presence to manipulate someone to any real degree.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
dyre said:
Well, the standard for 12 int does seem a bit lower than 12 for anything else; you merely have to have studied something for a few years (aka graduated college).
I'm probably a bit bias here but I really had a few years of concentrated study in mind here. Something like graduate school for a subject, getting solid A's, writing a thesis... that sort of thing.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
gritch said:
dyre said:
I'm probably a bit basis here but I really had a few years of concentrated study in mind here. Something like graduate school for a subject, getting solid A's, writing a thesis... that sort of thing.
That seems like gaining XP; related but not the same as ability scores. I mean, you get one ability score point per four levels, but most commoners never even reach level 2!

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
dyre said:
gritch said:
dyre said:
I'm probably a bit bias here but I really had a few years of concentrated study in mind here. Something like graduate school for a subject, getting solid A's, writing a thesis... that sort of thing.
That seems like gaining XP; related but not the same as ability scores. I mean, you get one ability score point per four levels, but most commoners never even reach level 2!
A lot of these are sort of a smashup of skills and attributes. Unless we'd want to make another trend about people's skills as well I thought it'd be best to factor them in. Most commoners in D&D were pretty uneducated if memory serves (I haven't played D&D in a while now). I would reason they might gain a few levels if they went through 12+ yrs of compulsory education!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
gritch said:
dyre said:
gritch said:
dyre said:
A lot of these are sort of a smashup of skills and attributes. Unless we'd want to make another trend about people's skills as well I thought it'd be best to factor them in. Most commoners in D&D were pretty uneducated if memory serves (I haven't played D&D in a while now). I would reason they might gain a few levels if they went through 12+ yrs of compulsory education!
Pffft, as if one would be so lucky to find an NPC who rewards XP for "passing Managerial Economic Analysis."

Anyway, my original point was that time spent utilizing the attribute isn't a great metric for measuring that attribute (a dentist who has pulled teeth for 12 years is probably not much more dexterous than a new dentist), but I'll stop pestering you about it now :p

Dec 10, 2012
Str: 11
I worked out in high school and had a job with a moving company last year, so I'll say a bit above average. I'm stronger than all my friends, at least.

Dex: 10
I do fine. I've got decent balance and hand-eye coordination, but I can't do any handstands or anything. Aside from twitch reflexes and manual dexterity with a controller in my hands, I'm nothing unusual.

Con: 9
I have gotten fat and lazy in the last few years. I can get around just fine, but if I have to exert myself, I start sweating a lot and tire very quickly.

Int: 13
I have always prided myself on my smarts. I have two college degrees, so I better count as a well-educated person. I am very good at absorbing fact of all kinds and recalling them in useful situations.

Wis: 9
I've got very little in the way of street smarts, i.e., I can hardly figure out how to pay my taxes. But, I sort of balance this out with a good head for life decisions. I see people making awful choices over and over again, and I laugh derisively while I apply the common sense they all lack.

Cha: 8
I would have said 5 or 6 a couple years ago. I was quite awkward and shy in high school. Lately, I can at least hold a conversation with a stranger without making non-sequitor duck noises or something.

So, total = 60

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
STR: 11
I'm tall, heavy and solidly built and my job involves frequent lifting, but I haven't done weights consistently in years.

DEX: 9
I can be pretty clumsy at times.

CON: 9
Young and healthy, but unfit as hell and a bit pudgy around the edges.

INT: 10
Not much evidence one way or the other, so imma play it safe and say I'm average.

WIS: --
Uhh... not sure how to gauge this.

CHA: 7
Yeeeaah... social butterfly I am not.

So, in conclusion, an unfit and awkward nerd of unremarkable intelligence who happened to be blessed with a hefty frame. Jesus me, way to live the stereotype.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
STR: 8
I don't lift. I mean, I'm sure my adrenaline will help me move a car from my sister but I don't lift weights or anything.

DEX: 13
My main source of pride is my ability to be quiet and light. Living with hardwood floors can make one very aware of their space and weight. Also I don't know if this counts for much but I draw and have good hand-eye coordination

CON: 8
I'm still at that age where my metabolism hasn't slowed down but yeahhhh I'm really unfit. I mean, I can sprint about 200 meters but it's like being a cheetah: really fast for a REALLY short amount of time.

INT: 9
I have caches of knowledge - I really love science and I can tell you anything you want to know about Silent Hill - but I was poor in school and I haven't gone to college so college automatically means you're smarter, or something. Tell that to the idiots at TCU

WIS: 9
I am very self-sufficent; I'm not entirely good at offering advice or life stories to others but I know enough to keep myself out of trouble

CHA: 11 (7)
I work in retail so I can't afford to be who I usually am but I'm an adept liar and good at getting people what they want and getting out of there. Also something about me screams "I'M APPROACHABLE TELL ME YOUR LIFE STORY" because people do that. A lot. Now, when I'm NOT at my terrible job, I flutter between a "I can stay home for days, it's so nice" 5 and a "...Okay, I guess I have to go to the store now" 7

Forget everyone on here posting intelligence above 10, most people on here are gonna post below-average charisma - there's still something "appealing" about being "that weird loner" for some reason

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Spoiled (Hopefully, Escapist's Spoiler coding seems to hate me) below are my stats 3.5 D&D-ified as I see them after I turn off the parts of my brain that self-loathe.

Strength: 11
-- I've had numerous people comment on numerous occasions regarding my ability to lift and move heavy objects with seemingly no effort. While I don't weight-lift, nor can I put a lot of raw power behind a blow, I'm generally able to lift my own body weight, plus ten percent on an average day if "just working out", and consider this my baseline. Also: I used to unload the trucks at work and gerneally move heavy items around for customers -- even those requiring a "team lift" with little effor

Dexterity: 12
-- I have excellent hand-eye cordination and generally excelt at feats of agility, with enough glitches that I'm sure my bonus isn't too spectacular.

Constitution: 12
-- I ride a bike to and from work five days a week, resulting in about 3.5 miles of constant, rapid movement each way with zero fatigue, but am not nearly a paragon of physical fitness

Intelligence: 13
-- That annoying kid in the back of the class who never studies, never takes notes, seemingly never pays attention and yet somehow still ruins the curve by having conspicuously high marks in every academic test? That's me.

Wisdom: 9
-- I'm uncomfortable with "Leadership experience" as a metric for Wisdom, but applying it as a "Finesse to Intelligence's Power", I'll call myself a dead average individual, considering what I do to earn a living, however (retail), I'll knock a point off.

Charisma: 15
-- I don't know how, but I'm charming. We're good with people. I rarely, if ever flub when in a social interaction, It's the trait that people tend to focus on. It's a huge strength and asset that I wish I was better at utilizing. Not enough to give me a +3 bonus, by my reckoning, but I do have the raw stats to roll consistently well on untrained influence checks.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Str 11 - I work out every day and jog a mile at minimum
Dex 10 - Good balance, I live around mountains so it's almost necessary
Con 7 - Though I exercise, I wind easily
Int 10 - Merely average, high school with some college study but no degree
Wis 8 - Not a great judge of character but make a habit of learning from others' mistakes. Very cautious thinker.
Cha 5 - I am not a pretty man. In shape but noticeably scarred, balding, and asexual. No charm, prefer honesty.
Chance of berserking 25%

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Strength: 9- I can lift some stuff for short periods of time, upwards of 40 pounds or so, but not for very long.

Dexterity: 10- Balancing on my feet along tight things like fences is hard, but I am very good with my hands. I also make very small adjustments for balance on rocky terrain and such, rather than just slap my feet into place.

Constitution: 8- I sure can run at times, and I do a decent job of moving swiftly when I need to, but I certainly lack any form of long term stamina.

Intelligence: 7- 8 for anything that isn't school work. I have a good mental capacity and strength to explain stuff. Anything school related puts me to sleep. But, if you give me a topic I can understand and I know well, I can handle it very well. But, if we go by general knowledge of academic stuff, 7 for sure.

Wisdom: 9- I'm not always the best at judging what to say, but I have improved greatly in the past. I like being able to lead, and I have plenty of ideas of how to handle a situation. I'm a very strong ideas man.

Charisma: 9 (Maybe a soft 10)- I am a bit awkward sometimes, but I have been able to make good friends and have held a good conversation many times. Even had a few GF's, though I dunno if that matters at all.

Yeah, I'm balanced, in a way. But I'm a more low-end sort of balanced. Not exactly amazing, but if you get me in the right situation, I can handle myself just fine.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
STR 11 -I really need to get back into weightlifting...
DEX 4 -I can't even navigate stairs without concentration.
CON 11 -I don't run because lolasthma, but I am quite healthy and can do low-impact exercise for long periods of time.
INT 11 -Well, I graduated tech school and am pretty knowledgeable, but if I don't care for a subject, I'm usually pretty bad at learning it.
WIS 7 -I'm very gullible.
CHA 12 -I like people, and people like me. Also, I've sung solo onstage. Also, I've spent eight years as a cashier.
Total 56

Not a bad roll, really.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
ImperialSunlight - Human Writer/Cleric (The gods in this setting don't seem to feel like giving me magic powers, unfortunately)

STR: 7
DEX: 12
INT: 10
WIS: 13
CHA: 8

Strength: 7
I'm pretty weak, overall, as I very rarely do sports of any kind, much less those that are "strength-focused". Add to that that I'm naturally really skinny, and this becomes a really generous assessment.

Dexterity: 12
I'm very skilled with my hands and can do various things that require such skills easily. I'm also a fencer, and I would say that I'm decent as far as footwork goes. I'm far from clumsy.

Constitution: 8
Better than my strength, but I wouldn't call myself all that healthy, and as far as running or extended exertion goes, I'm not that great.

Intelligence: 10
I'm awful at math, but besides that, I'm a fast learner and know a lot of impractical facts. I wouldn't rate myself higher than around average, though. Maybe an 11 if I'm generous.

Wisdom: 13
I'm a fiction writer, an artist, a musician and an occultist, so most of my skills would likely fall into this category, given that most people would dub them "not book smarts". My common sense is less strong, but I'd still say this is my strongest area.

Charisma: 8
I'm a loner and am very soft-spoken, so this is a given.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
In threads like this I always wonder how many people actually bother to read other peoples' posts instead of just going strait to the reply box and ignoring everyone else. To me at least, these threads are more about introspection than learning about one another. I mean, why would anyone care whether I'm good at gymnastics or not?

STR: 8

I don't work out my arms often, but I'm not weak either, I build muscle in my arms easily and I actually worry if I did lift weights that I'd bulk up, which I don't really want.

DEX: 10

I'm pretty good with my hands, but I'm not flexible or agile at all. I do have pretty good balance though.

I'm pretty pathetically out of shape right now, mostly because I spend too much time on the computer doing stuff like this.

INT: 12

I'm a quick learner who can pick up abstract concepts easily. I hate math, but I'm pretty good at it, which is why I always got decent grades in school despite never studying.

WIS: 7

I'm not very worldly. I'm 21 years old. I'm not sure if that's old or not, but I definitely don't get out enough to have any of what you might call "life experience".

CHA: 2

I'm just about the most socially awkward person on the planet. I can maintain somewhat normal conversations with people I know very well, but with almost anyone else it's like trying to communicate with an alien species. If you think I'm being unfair to myself here, trust me I'm not.