Giving Fallout: New Vegas a second chance

lysiaboy

Feb 17, 2010
You know, when I first got New Vegas, I rushed through it the first time, enjoying myself. then, I had a second, more methodical play through.

and then it dawned on me: this game isn't that good...

I mean sure, don't get me wrong, it carries many good improvements over fallout 3(which is my favorite game ever and I own EVERY single DLC), but I didn't consider the asking price worthy for what was effectively a fallout 3 mod which let you aim down the sights of weapons and introduce a crappy rep system.

that was the last I played of New Vegas for a while. now though, I must acknowledge that I was wrong. Very wrong.

tonight, out of sheer boredom, I have been trawling through the fallout wiki, looking at all things new vegas. the sheer quantity of stuff to do, quests to complete, weapons to find, achievements to get, is just mindboggoling.

I mean, take a look at this, this is the quest list for new vegas:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_quests

Now look me in the eye and tell me you could complete that in an afternoon... yeah, that's what I thought.

and with the DLC's coming to playstation network soon, patches for the bugs and glitches coming in thick and fast and people discovering more content in new vegas all the time... it's a great time to be a fallout fan.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
I haven't played the game but your comments confuse me. Your post reads like an emotional sine wave.

First play through: FUN
Second "methodical" play through: disappointment
And now, you're realising that the game is good again, because you've read on the wiki about how big it is.

I'm just wondering if you changed your mind because you realised from the wiki that you didn't experience most of it (so there's more stuff to see which will make it feel like the first play through), or if you're just excited by the feeling of size you got when you looked at it from the perspective presented on that website.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
So long as if you call new Vegas bad you call out Fallout 3 bad, then your good. If you call New Vegas bad because it didn't drastically change anything even if it improved on the last game, your not judgement the game so much as what your perception of the game would be, and I think that's wrong.

I honestly know enough about the two to know that Obsidean just used the GECK meaning that they reused all the old fallout scripts so it was inevitably going to be very similar so I don't blame them. If they rebuilt the game from the ground up, that would be cool, but that's more a "Fallout 4" thing and not a New Vegas thing.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I've played a lot of the game, but I haven't beaten it yet.
The game is pretty solid as games go, and I played the hell out of Fallout 3.

In New Vegas, the setting and plot didn't appeal as much to me for some reason, so I spent a lot of time wandering around, and eventually got the Alien Blaster. I decided to continue on the main plot, and when it was time to pay Caesar a visit, I decided to go in guns blazing.
After realizing that this kind of messed up the plot, I started a new character (I'm on my third or fourth now) and then I lost interest again, after realizing that I was playing the game for the sake of playing, and not really caring about the plot or anything.

I don't know what it was, but it's just a little weird. Maybe I don't feel as much of a connection with the setting, since I live in the DC Metropolitan area, and my dad grew up in Falls Church. Walking in the ruins of a city I recognize (even if it wasn't rendered very realistically- in real life the Washington Monument is on a huge hill) resonated with me, and that may be one of the reasons I love the game so much.

Edit: You know what? It's probably that I'm playing on hardcore mode. It's sort of messing up the feel of the game for me, since it's too easy to break. I should just go in without hardcore on and play it like I played Fallout 3.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Honestly, I've just been doing the same, but on the PC with all the new, lovely DLC and a barrage of mods. Definently woth what I paid for it on steam, many, many of hours fun had and yet to be had as I'm yet to allow Ceasars Legion win and do Hardcore mode

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I really did like Fallout 3, but I loved New Vegas much more. Mostly becasue it stayed true to the source material in ways Fallout 3 didn't. If Fallout 3 had a completely different name, I would probably love it so much more, and yeah I guess that's rather irrational but Fallout 3 really doesn't do the previous games justice. The writing and story were just poor, and the main plot was a disaster. I loved all of the side locations and exploration enough for me to still really like the game though. The atmosphere was great, but I wouldn't say it was like the previous games. Didn't like how grimdark it was either to be honest, but that's just personal taste.

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
I've just started playing New Vegas again too. The first time I was disappointed with the expectation of it differing to Fallout 3 but as said above, that's the fault of my expectations, not the game itself.

So playing it again with a similar build, I've started taking time to appreciate the small details and play through the DLC which I just bought and started with Old World Blues. This DLC in particular shows off New Vegas as a lighthearted version of Fallout 3, and I assume more in tune with the original Fallouts which I am planning to play through soon.

I would argue that Fallout 3 is Brilliant and clever but New Vegas is more fun.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Bethesda apparently can't write a good story to save its life, and FO3 was no exception. New Vegas had a much better story, and I found it more fun, but the locations weren't as good. The music in 3 was leagues better than New Vegas though!

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
OpticalJunction said:
Bethesda apparently can't write a good story to save its life, and FO3 was no exception. New Vegas had a much better story, and I found it more fun, but the locations weren't as good. The music in 3 was leagues better than New Vegas though!
The music in NV is great, I've downloaded a lot of it from iTunes and have a playlist with all the old country music that drives my girlfriend nuts. That alone was worth it for me ;)

New Vegas, like any open-world games, is pretty much what you make of it. I've gone back and have been playing Fallout 3 pretty consitently for about 3 months now, but occasionally I still miss the western-y theme of NV, and personally I think it was a better 'western' than Red Dead Redemption, if only for the vastness of the world and the many, many things that I could find myself doing just by picking a direction and running.

Sozac

Jan 19, 2011
If any of you don't go on twentyonesided first i recommend you should because they recommended me to this-http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark_terminal_entries
Second, that is probably the best writing Obsidian has ever done.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
OpticalJunction said:
Well, the individual elements were there, and they had some great ideas, like Liberty Prime, but I agree that the overall plot was a little lacking.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I hated New Vegas the first time, loved it the second time. Open world RPGs like this provide an unpredictable experience. You might see nothing on one playthrough, and discover something amazing on the next because the pieces just fell into place.

That's part of the fun; making your own experience.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
OpticalJunction said:
Fallout 3 was written by Bethesda. I liked the Capital Wastleland much more than the Mojave, it seems the capture that 'creepy' factor. New Vegas was written by Obsidian, and the team that worked on it was a large part of the team from Black Isle Studios that was making Van Buren(Interplay's Fallout 3) So a lot of the stuff that was supposed to be in VanBuren ended up in Fallout: New Vegas.

OT: New Vegas isn't really that solid of a game. The Story is there, but there are a lot of elements missing. As for these bug fix patches, they really don't fix that much. Well except make the game engine do some really strange fucking shit. A lot of the bugs that breaks quests are still in the game, and you still won't be able to fix them on the PS3 version. I love my PC version, I can just mod my way past any bug almost. But I think because the game is moddable is the only reason it actually had any form of success.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I stopped reading when you called New Vegas a "mod".

Sorry but the massive amount of ignorance it must take to say something like that astounds me.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
I stopped reading when you called New Vegas a "mod".

Sorry but the massive amount of ignorance it must take to say something like that astounds me.
Agreed.
That is like calling Vice City and San Andreas not very good, because they "mods" of GTA III.
It makes no sense.

I loved Fallout New Vegas, and I don't see why so many people hate it.

TastySurvivor

Vault-Tec Beat Writer
Jun 14, 2010
lysiaboy said:
and with the DLC's coming to playstation network soon, patches for the bugs and glitches coming in thick and fast and people discovering more content in new vegas all the time... it's a great time to be a fallout fan.
You definitely need to get Old World Blues then. Easily the best DLC out of all of them, and as good if not better than Point Lookout (I like OWB better)

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
soutbr1 said:
lysiaboy said:
You definitely need to get Old World Blues then. Easily the best DLC out of all of them, and as good if not better than Point Lookout (I like OWB better)
Old World Blues was most glorious!

Easily my favorite DLC.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Am I the only person in this world who found Liberty Prime stupid? All he was to me was a Giant robot thrown in for the purposes of sounding more "Anti Commie". He also felt ungraciously over done, just to make the Brotherhood of steel (who I later found out were not heroes, but really a bunch of recluses that had a change of Ideals when they reached the east coast, causing a factional war in them) more "Bad Ass". I dunno, but thats what I seriously think.