Giving the Devil his Due...

Ratwell

Sep 13, 2010
I was thinking about EA and how they are Evil, so on and so forth, and how we can stop them when a thought struck me. We don't stop them, we change them! EA has stock holders. We, The Gamers, become stock holders. If my understanding of the stock market is correct, someone will correct me if it isn't, if I own one stock in a company then I get one vote at shareholders meetings. If I own five stocks I get five votes. If I own Better Than Half of the Stock then I get Better Than Half of the votes.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

If we, The Gamers, own stock in EA we can control EA. But we can do it Individually! We must do it together! If we, Together, own the controlling interest we have control. This means no more giving the consumer, The Gamers, the shaft or making us jump through complicated hoops just to be able to play a game we already own! With this kind of power we can do anything(within the laws of physics and the confines of the law in general)!

And do you know what the wonderfully scarey part is...

We, The Gamers, can do it...If we can give thousands of dollars to charity, unite to send hundreds of cupcakes, and be as passionately nerdy about the things we love and care about as we are then we can do this. We can buy EA!

I want to start a movement. EA has named the game, and that game is Big Business. The thing they don't realize is, We're Gamers, this is what we do.

If your with me, join me. Buy a share!

Save the Games, Save the World!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Not sure if troll, EA doing some weird viral marketing, or what... Join date from 2010 but this is a first post.

Confused.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

How much do you think EA would cost to buy. Buying EA is a completely different kettle of fish to gamers coming together and raising $300k for something like Desert Bus.

In fact, I'm not convinced that you're not some sort of odd EA marketing person.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The last thing that I, as a gaming fan, want is for my desire for a ROI to be at odds with my desire for innovative or daring game design.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
This deserves a nathan fillion gif:

I don't that we have enough money to buy EA...

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I am surprised an idea this stupid was able to be formed without killing the host. How pray tell, do you plan on buying EA stocks? Even if we all chipped in we wouldn't come close to being able to buy enough of it to make a difference. Or do you have some sort of money tree in your backyard that is watered by the magic friendship fairy using the mystical love magic she gets from the fountain of eternal happiness and kittens?

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Aside from the fact that you would have to raise hundreds of millions of dollars and that many people who collectively hold a majority of EA stock are probably unwilling to sell, we still wouldn't be "in charge" of EA even if we did pull off this scheme. Not to the degree that you want.

I suspect you are a rogue stockbroker trolling forums for easy commissions. It's the only sensible answer

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Giving the devil his due...
...and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you!

I'm disappointed this isn't a BOC thread.

Anyway... the amount of money we'd need to chip in would be absurd. There's really not a chance in hell that this would happen.

And theoretically, even if it somehow did happen, how would you ever get gamers to actually agree on anything and have a strong enough vote to change something? Best of luck with that.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
What? No one else has untold billions just laying around their house? I wasn't aware I was on a poor peoples forum.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I've actually been considering it...I mean, EA is big...and they're only going to get bigger for the foreseeable future. Like them or not, it's a good investing opportunity.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Giving the devil his due...
...and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you!

I'm disappointed this isn't a BOC thread.
That can be arranged

But yeah it would take a lot of money to buy enough EA stock to make a difference also its a lot harder than just going to the stock exchange and asking for a whole bunch of stock.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
100% is a company, If I own 51% of a company I can do what ever I want. Feel free to pay me for the 49% though.

marginal

Mar 21, 2009
I'm not going to defend EA entirely, but all this hububaloo about them not doing single player only games? Where was the outcry when Valve said they were "Probably done with single player games"?

http://kotaku.com/5795355/valve-probably-done-with-single+player-games

Seems like people just like to ***** about stuff. Buying stock in EA? How about if you hate them so much stop buying their games. When they go bankrupt, your problems are solved. Until some other publisher somewhere does something you don't like and then the cycle repeats.

Lawyered

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
First post...

2010 signup date...

Is Kross messing with us again?

For the record though, i feel tht if im going to buy up EA stock im going to buy up all EA stock. Then because i effectively control the company i would enforce some changes that could have a net-positive effect on the EA's reputation without dimishing the bank account.

marginal said:
I'm not going to defend EA entirely, but all this hububaloo about them not doing single player only games? Where was the outcry when Valve said they were "Probably done with single player games"?
Actually Valve has always been heavily in favour of multiplayer. Note that a high proportion of thier games over the years have been multiplayer titles. Them stopping singleplayer titles wont be the end of the world, it just means that the next Half-Life will probably be the last... assuming there is a next one.

Compare EA, whom instead of biulding up a number of multiplayer franchises first are taking singleplayer-focused franchises and forcing in a high level of multiplayer intergration. Two such examples being Dead Space 3 having an intergrated co-op campaign and Command and Conquer Generals 2 all but ditching singleplayer entirely in favour of trying to break into the e-sport market.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011

Yep, great plan you've got there. I don't see anything wrong with it. Get back to me later and tell me how that works out for ya.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Launcelot111 said:
Aside from the fact that you would have to raise hundreds of millions of dollars and that many people who collectively hold a majority of EA stock are probably unwilling to sell, we still wouldn't be "in charge" of EA even if we did pull off this scheme. Not to the degree that you want.

I suspect you are a rogue stockbroker trolling forums for easy commissions. It's the only sensible answer
This. Being majority shareholder of a company does not give you free reign to do with it as you please. It is often presented as such in movies and other media, but it doesn't hold water in reality. I'd explain how it does work to the OP, but I have a feeling the effort is not worth it.

Also, is the OP is a stockbroker, he's the sorriest example I've seen yet.