GLaDOS Helps Test Subject Propose to His Companion Cube

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
GLaDOS Helps Test Subject Propose to His Companion Cube

You know how <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112516-Portal-Turrets-Spew-Lead-in-Bastion>injecting a bit of Portal into your videogame can make it better? Well, it seems to work just fine for marriage proposals, too.

Gary Hudston commissioned talented map maker Douglas "TopHATTwaffle" Hoogland to create a sequence of Portal 2 puzzles [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=portal+2&x=0&y=0] ending in a glorious marriage proposal. He, along with Rachel "Miss Stabby" van der Meer, created the "Gary Hudston Project," which you can see in its entirety in the video above.

Spoilers: She said yes.

Hudston initially put up a want ad on June 19 on thinkingwithportals.com for a secret Portal 2 project. Hoogland applied for the position a month later, unsure about what it could be. After receiving all the details, he finished the project in under a month.

The levels culminate with a makeshift church, and through the voice of everyone's favorite megalomaniac GLaDOS, Gary proposed to his fiancé Stephanie. Yes, voice actress Ellen McLain did read the script herself.

Don't worry. Your whole "ring in the wine glass" thing is still creative and sweet.

Source: RockPaperShotgun

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
That's sweet.

I think Ellen McLain is a pretty cool gal. esh helps people and doesnt afraid of anything.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
A lot of guys come up with unique ways to propose, but I think this guy just won.

Great level design too.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wow.

The adorable nerdiness of it all is a bit overwhelming.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Holy balls, that's awesome and oh so sweet.

And...Ellen Mclain actually doing the voice acting. Frikkin' AWESOME.

Hertzey

Oct 13, 2009
I am such a sucker for these things! If I could go back in time I would tell my husband to do something like this. Ellen McLain is freakin' awesome for helping out with this! I <3 her.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Gary Hudston would like it known that while obviously the Escapist hasn't said it, many sourcess have claimed that he commissioned all who were involved, it's not so, Ellen McLain and the level designers did this all for no pay just to help a guy propose to his girl, who's called Stephanie by the way... Gonna say right now it's so cool that it's finally happened and i'm allowed to talk about it.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Really hard to say who was the most awesome person in this "project", but really for Garrys effort in creating this I would give it a 10. Specially since he got not just TopHATTwaffle (seen these "levels" great work...) but also Ellen McLain..
Just got to love how nerdy this is.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
As Archemetis said, I owe it all to the help of Ellen McLain for agreeing to read my script (and absolutely rocking it, as you'd expect!) Erik Wolpaw and VALVe for making time in their busy schedules to record it and most of all to Doug "TopHATTwaffle" Hoogland and Rachel "Miss Stabby" van der Meer for utterly killing themselves for these last 6 weeks just to get it done before Stephanie's birthday. All of this out of the kindness of their hearts and sheer enthusiasm for the project!

I can't tell you all how blown away we are by the reaction to this video. Thank you all so much.

Also, thanks to Archemetis for keeping it a secret for 4 months.

Madshadow

Mar 10, 2011
Skype sounds in youtube videos always annoy me makes me automatic check my own client

Edit after watching> Very very sweet :) <3 I wish them the best of luck

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
This is, seriously, this has made my day. This is the sweetest and most creative thing, I don't even know what to say.

What? They are manly tears, yes...