GLaDOS Origin Story Told in Full Portal 2 Comic

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GLaDOS Origin Story Told in Full Portal 2 Comic

The entirety of Valve's official Portal 2 comic has been released, bridging the gap between Portal and its sequel, and giving us a look at GLaDOS before she was evil.

Portal 2 [] comic which has now been released in its entirety.

Valve teamed up with IGN Comics to release the comic in two parts, both of which are now available. The comic follows Doug "Ratman" Rattmann, an Aperture Science employee otherwise known as the guy that scribbled all those helpful messages on the walls of the test chambers in Portal.

[gallery=196]

Not to give too much away, but it turns out that Rattmann wasn't killed before or after the events of Portal. In fact, he played a major part in getting things moving for Chell in both the first game and the sequel.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy or anything, but sh*t, this comic is amazing if you're a Portal fan. It finally reveals some of the mysteries behind the series, and hopefully is only a taste of what we'll get when Portal 2 is released for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on April 19.

*Anyone that has trouble viewing the comic at full size can also check it out here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/gallery/view/26/109178/196.1]*

Source: IGN Part 2 [http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1160605p1.html]

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
GLaDOS makes an appearance in a comic book about portal? You don't say...

Though I forgive you for being a fanboy. I found the idea that someone else was running around to be quite interesting.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The apparent origin of "the cake is a lie" was a tad random - was it by mere chance that the phrase manifest itself?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Making an article about how GLaDOS appears in the Portal 2 comic is kind of like making an article saying the new CoD will have guns in it.

I won't be reading it though, I kind of like all that "mystery" stuff. The great thing about Portal (and a lot of other Valve games, now that I think about it more) is what isn't told in the stories.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Making an article about how GLaDOS appears in the Portal 2 comic is kind of like making an article saying the new CoD will have guns in it.

I won't be reading it though, I kind of like all that "mystery" stuff. The great thing about Portal (and a lot of other Valve games, now that I think about it more) is what isn't told in the stories.
This doesn't really spoil anything as much as it gives you the "10 minutes before" all the way up to 0 minutes till the next game.

I highly recommend it, it is very emotional and I almost cried :)

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Very nice. The art style is refreshing. Reminds me of Quentin Blake.

and that explains alot actually. Very nice Valve. Very nice.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
well that was entertaining.....but does that mean wheatly is evil or was he trying to save her?

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
The Ratman can still be alive! YAY! also, yay Portal 2 stuffs! yay extreme...loss of...productivity...yeah...damn...

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
The apparent origin of "the cake is a lie" was a tad random - was it by mere chance that the phrase manifest itself?
One of GLsDOS's last lines is "there really was a caaaaakkkeeeeee*static*", and the idea behind it was that the Ratman knew that the promised cake was actually death, so he was leaving you a message. Doesn't sound like mere chance to me.

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
Anyone else think it's interesting that GLaDOS is alive in the comic (IE after we kill her in Portal 1 and before we reactivate her in Portal 2)?

This could be regarded as a mistake, but with all the comic's themes of perception vs reality I wouldn't be surprised if it has some bearing on the plot of Portal 2.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
IvoryTowerGamer said:
Anyone else think it's interesting that GLaDOS is alive in the comic (IE after we kill her in Portal 1 and before we reactivate her in Portal 2)?

This could be regarded as a mistake, but with all the comic's themes of perception vs reality I wouldn't be surprised if it has some bearing on the plot of Portal 2.

I'm not sure if this is correct but flash backs my friend, flash backs

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Art was nice. Not having played Portal 1 just made all of this confusing. I was thinking of just picking up the 2nd game but now I'm not so sure.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
IvoryTowerGamer said:
I'm 99% certain that the portions where GLaDOS talks take place in a flashback - he's recalling the day she managed to kill the scientists that created her.

Anyway, this was a very touching and interesting bit of backstory, with some wonderful art to boot. Color me impressed!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
mParadox said:
Very nice. The art style is refreshing. Reminds me of Quentin Blake.
You see Quentin Blake, I see Ralph Steadman, particularly the pages with the pills.