Glasses

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Here be my eye foci, i can see clearly about 30cm these days... i remember when i was about 15 my friend commented while we were out in the evening on a tractor on the end of the road 100-200m away, i said "what tractor?"

http://angloamericanopticalltd.com/glasses/m400/

captcha: vienna ralling

...the fuq?

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
Oh yeah, and I have to have prisms in my lenses so that I don't see two phones when I'm on my phone, and that's sadly not treatable with contacts. I also thought that was normal v:.
What are you talking about?
I have polarized sunglasses

that makes certain screens such as ATM touchscreens appear extremely wonky and trippy in rainbow waves

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Without my glasses, I am basically blind. Can't see make out details for shit past six inches. They've been that way since I was a toddler, as far as I know. First pair of glasses had these springy little hooks that wrapped around my ear, presumably so they wouldn't fall off. Even after all these years, I distinctly recall them hurting like a *****. That being said, I can't imagine living without my glasses; hell, they're basically a part of me at this point.

I've tried contacts before - never again. Those things dry the crap out of my eyes. That was definitely a lesson learned. And LASIK? Yeaaaah no. Truth be told, if my eyes did somehow get permanently repaired, I'd probably wear the frames just because it'd feel so damn weird without them.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I need glasses when I'm driving, my eyesight far off is pretty shitty. I had to get my glasses (sturdy black rim) checked by an eye surgeon for my driver's license and he said I see 150% of what a person with very good natural eyes sees, so yeah, happy with that.

I've thought about lenses for some time, but they're just such a hassle. Glasses are easy and people say they look good on me.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Olas said:
Without trying to sound offensive, I don't really understand why anyone wears them whilst contacts exist.
Because people who aren't me look much more attractive with glasses.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I wear a set of Orgreen Hughes colour 456 (tan/burnt umber) with Zeiss 1.74 lenses with the purple AR coating.
My back up pair are Oakley Transistors with basic CR39 hard coat lenses.
I have two sets of Oakley Holbrooks in Black Ink with Polarised Jade lenses, one set prescription, one set plano.
Three sets of ESS Ice sports/safety glasses with various tints and one with the RX insert.
Plus contact lenses (Dailies ACP Torics) and a few sets of cheaper Nike/VN glasses with Lenstec lenses as spares and leave arounds.

Come to think of it, I spend a shit load of money on glasses and contacts, guess that comes with being unable to live without them.

I'm a -6 in both eyes with a -2/-1.5 astig thanks to some wonderful genetics. My ocular health is actually excellent, excellent blood supply, nice healthy optic nerve, excellent VA, none of the usual issues with such a high degree of myopia. Working for an opticians might be a contributing factor too, maybe.

Olas said:
Without trying to sound offensive, I don't really understand why anyone wears them whilst contacts exist.
Contacts are not good for continuous long term use. For one thing they scratch the cornea, initially at a microscopic level but after a couple of years of heavy use you're doing visible and occasionally permanent damage. It's certainly interesting to look at under an opthalmoscope, but that's of little comfort when it's your eyes.

That's not even starting with the issues of infection and tear retention over time. Contacts and glasses are an also/and situation not an either/or.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I have glasses, wear them occasionally, when I need to see far, but I manage fine without them. I only really need them in large lecture halls if I sit at the back.
These days I wear my sunglasses more though, due to being oversensitive to light.

Also I recently bought window-class spectacles for cosplay-related reasons. My real classes are kinda small and rectangular, I needed different kinds for my cosplay.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Olas said:
Without trying to sound offensive, I don't really understand why anyone wears them whilst contacts exist. I wore glasses for about 6 months when I first discovered I had bad vision. I didn't hate them, but they aren't as good as just having good vision, which is what contacts are like.

Secretly I suspect people only wear them to look smart, yet ironically a smart person would just wear contacts.
Money, comfort, health, ease of use, personal style preference. There's lots of reasons to choose glasses over contact lenses.

I don't know whether we have really different prescriptions or something but I find my vision in glasses to be better than with contacts. Obviously with glasses you have a blur around the edges of your vision but looking around fluidly feels better in glasses because you don't have the contacts moving about on your eye anf there isn't that fraction of a second for things to settle before you can focus properly.

What you said didn't sound offensive just... short-sighted. [boom!]

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Gospelnut said:
I actually wore nothing but contacts for about a year (put them in when I woke up, took them out before bed). There's a HUGE problem with this I thankfully found out before it's too late.
See, your eyeballs need to breathe. If they cannot get enough oxygen from contact with the air, your retina will form blood vessels to bring said oxygen in.
With soft lenses(espescially made of silicone hydrogel) there is almost no risk of what you describe as corneal neovascularization.

Just a little common sense. Clean them properly, replace them in time, don't wear them the entire day, have your eyes checked every 6 months. With a little care contacts are a safe and convenient method to have perfect vision without the need for a peripheral device.

Though like this thread evidently shows there are many people who have no problem with wearing glasses all the time. So to each their own. :p

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I do wear glasses. My eye sight is pretty awful actually. It's around -5.5 in both eyes. So, I can't really see anything clearly without them. And a person's face becomes a blur with black spots where their eyes should be at about 15-20 feet.

Funny enough, I just learned that one of my friend's vision is roughly the same as mine. We tried on each others glasses a while back and while I wouldn't drive with his on, I could certainly see just fine.
I also wouldn't drive without some form of vision correction, either, for the record.

Anyway, I often wear contacts when I go out, though I have prescription safety glasses for work. And I wear my glasses anytime I'm not trying to impress anyone. My prescription hasn't really changed in years, so I've been wearing the same pair. They need new lenses, I think, but I really don't want to buy new ones. I'm cheap. And I don't really wear them that much in public, anyway.

Anyway, my glasses frame is small and thin. Silver in color. And the lenses are roughly 2 inches by 4 inches in size. I like my frames small. I really don't like large frames. At least not on me. If I had to try to guess, I'd say it's because I never really wanted glasses and I don't like to draw attention to my glasses, even the color choice makes them less obvious. Thus, I like small and unassuming frames.

That isn't to say I'm ashamed of wearing glasses. I think I look better without them. But if you mocked me for wearing glasses, I think I'd just see you as pathetic for mocking someone for something so mundane.

Olas said:
Without trying to sound offensive, I don't really understand why anyone wears them whilst contacts exist. I wore glasses for about 6 months when I first discovered I had bad vision. I didn't hate them, but they aren't as good as just having good vision, which is what contacts are like.

Secretly I suspect people only wear them to look smart, yet ironically a smart person would just wear contacts.
Is this an attempt at a 1990 movie starring Darren Ewing?

Anyway, as a person who wears glasses and contacts, I often forgo my contacts for several reasons.
~I'm not going anywhere or having any company
~I'm playing video games, especially ones like Guitar Hero
~I've had contacts in most of the day and need to allow my eyes to rest
~I'm don't feel like putting in contacts

Honestly, wearing contacts too much isn't smart. A smart person would have both. Or just glasses.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Mine are actually pretty close to Daniel's, too. I used to wear one of those really narrow ones but then I realised they were shit. Big round ones are much better. I also have one of these:
You know, just in case. (I really like the yellow lenses for hiking)

Oh, and contacts can go die in a fire.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I have 20/40 vision on a bad day. Not anything really debilitating, but it's bad enough that the Navy issued me glasses when I signed on. I'm actually glad they did, because while I don't wear my glasses most of the time, they make driving less of a pain, especially at night. Road signs were pretty much the only thing I had real issues with because I couldn't read them until I was fairly close. I also got a pair of prescription sunglasses as a gift, which help me see the difference between an officer and a chief walking up to me.

Part of the reason I choose to not wear my glasses all the time is because I heard that prolonged glasses use will actually deteriorate your vision even further. While I don't care to verify if that's true, since I don't need glasses for day-to-day desk work anyway, why take the chance?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I wear a pair similar to this, but with a somewhat thinner frame. Though I need to get a new pair as my current pair is over four years old and not in the greatest condition.

I've had to wear glasses since about 2004 because my eyesight started going to shit around 2002 and made seeing what the teacher was doing fairly hard. Currently anything beyond arms reach is fuzzy so I usually wear them most of the day, the only exceptions being when I'm reading or using my laptop.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
No clue what my vision is like, but I have astigmatism and am a little near-sighted, even with my galsses on, lights get streaks and halos on them, I have no clue how this will impact my ability to drive..
Glasses are actually somewhat of a recent thing, I've only had them for the past couple years or so, and I'm pretty damn comfortable with them. I'd really love a good pair of frameless glasses, but I've found a good pair of half-frames that suits me just fine. I can't stand those stupid thick frames around the lenses that so many people wear.

If you want a better look, they're the Momentum MTM 1003 frames from America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses
I used to have clip-on sunglasses, but accidentally broke those two years ago, I also have a backup pair of glasses that are full-frames, but the frame is thin enough that it doesn't really impact my vision.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I've worn glasses since I was eight years old, occasionally I'll wear my contacts, since I kinda think they looked better, but not that long ago I got these
Which I think are pretty stylish, so more and more I've been just wearing glasses. I used to not care too much about how my glasses looked, but over the years I became more and more fashion-conscious and recently decided to up my style a bit.

I also have very slight astigmatism, and without glasses/contacts I basically can't see anything.

Gospelnut

Dec 22, 2014
stroopwafel said:
Gospelnut said:
I actually wore nothing but contacts for about a year (put them in when I woke up, took them out before bed). There's a HUGE problem with this I thankfully found out before it's too late.
See, your eyeballs need to breathe. If they cannot get enough oxygen from contact with the air, your retina will form blood vessels to bring said oxygen in.
With soft lenses(espescially made of silicone hydrogel) there is almost no risk of what you describe as corneal neovascularization.

Just a little common sense. Clean them properly, replace them in time, don't wear them the entire day, have your eyes checked every 6 months. With a little care contacts are a safe and convenient method to have perfect vision without the need for a peripheral device.

Though like this thread evidently shows there are many people who have no problem with wearing glasses all the time. So to each their own. :p
It was the soft ones, and I cleaned them religiously. My problem was (and is) I'm pretty much blind without contacts or glasses. I'm not sure what your argument is, you're saying glasses suck, but contacts aren't actually a viable replacement for every day wear (unless you get the one day use ones, but that's getting expensive)

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Gospelnut said:
It was the soft ones, and I cleaned them religiously. My problem was (and is) I'm pretty much blind without contacts or glasses. I'm not sure what your argument is, you're saying glasses suck, but contacts aren't actually a viable replacement for every day wear (unless you get the one day use ones, but that's getting expensive)
Except this is simply false. Contacts are a perfectly viable replacement for every day wear. I've been wearing them on a daily basis for 7 years at this point (I use monthlies), funnily enough I haven't gone blind. Neither has my Father with his 40-odd years of use. Contact lenses are gas permeable, even the older 'hard lenses'. It sucks that you had a bad experience, but don't make such absolute, blanket statements. It's certainly not inevitable that wearing contacts will make you blind.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I wear glasses because of bad vision, but I actually like how they look on me. I have a pair of classic black frame hipster glasses that I absolutely love, so I wear them both for how they look and because my eyesight isn't that good.

The only problem is I have a pair of nonprescription sunglasses that I really like so sometimes I'll wear them and just deal with the blurry vision. I figure if I die at least I'll look cool

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I have 6/6 vision, but I tend to get tension headache with a lot of reading (which I love), something to do with those eye muscles not relaxing so I use very slightly magnified reading glasses (and slightly different in each lenses 0.50 and 0.75) to allow those muscles to relax. It gets a bit awkward because I only wear them when reading, my job involves both talking to people and a lot of typing and reading. It's faster if I don't put them on and off, but if I don't I find I'll get a headache. Or I look over my glasses at people, which can be seen as condescending.

The other thing is even now I'm typing in the lounge room without the glasses. Silly me.