Glee Airs Performance of Jonathan Coulton's "Baby Got Back"

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I think there's a simple solution -- JoCo ought to do an entire album, a "best of" Glee, using all their arrangements, maybe stealing the actual audio verbatim in a few cases, not credit them, and put that bad boy up on iTunes. Name the album a synonym for "glee" just to be cute.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Not Matt said:
................... Motherf***ers.
I would love to scream and shout at curse. But if I said what was really on my mind the MODs would ban me. So just imagine me giving the glee writers a finger. A finger the size of a medium size elephant
Got you covered:

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I heard their version and laughed. Cheeky bastards!
Coulton came up with the backing track and rhythm himself, he just used the lyrics and they copied it. If they had a different rhythm it'd be fine.
Well it is Glee... you can't expect it to be too intelligent.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Mcoffey said:
Wow, what first class cock-knockers those people are. Fuck them.
Between your comment and your Avatar I doubt the internet has anything more perfect.

@OP: This infuriates me. This could have been a moment for them to be awesome and instead they went full cock weasel.

I bet he wouldn't have even asked for money :/...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Quaxar said:
Woah.

On an unrelated note, I'm now working on a show called Squee, where a group of ragtag high school kids painstakingly repaint classical works of art.
I take it not crediting Glee is going to be fine as well?
What a coincidence, I just happen to be pitching my original show "Pee" where a diverse selection of secondary school children defecate over pictures and mechandise of Fox TV shows. I'm not going to credit Fox, but I'm sure they'll be glad of the exposure.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ok, I don't know what else to add to this hatefest, other than the makers of Glee and the suits at FOX can all go fornicate themselves with rusty spikes. I've hated them since the pilot episode butchered Jouney's "Don't Stop Believin'" when the 2010 World Series San Francisco Giants used it as their theme song, and thsi shit makes me hate them even more!
nerd...Rage... RISIIIINNNGG!!! GRRRRRRAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH!!! HULK SMASH PUNY GLEEKS!!!

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
The stupid (and counter intuitive) thing about this is that the person most likely to have violated copyright is not Glee but Coulton.

Coulton paid a compulsory license for his cover version, via the Harry Fox Agency. So Coulton has no protection under the Copyright Act.

Coulton agreed to;

Section 115 said:
not change the basic melody or fundamental character of the work, and shall not be subject to protection as a derivative work under this title, except with the express consent of the copyright owner
Also, in theory, Sir Mix A Lot (the original artist) could sue Coulton claiming that Coulton's version is not a direct copy and so is not covered by the statutory licience Coulton purchased.

That is how fubar'ed the copyright system has got....

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
TechNoFear said:
The stupid (and counter intuitive) thing about this is that the person most likely to have violated copyright is not Glee but Coulton.

Coulton paid a compulsory license for his cover version, via the Harry Fox Agency. So Coulton has no protection under the Copyright Act.

Coulton agreed to;

Section 115 said:
not change the basic melody or fundamental character of the work, and shall not be subject to protection as a derivative work under this title, except with the express consent of the copyright owner
Also, in theory, Sir Mix A Lot (the original artist) could sue Coulton claiming that Coulton's version is not a direct copy and so is not covered by the statutory licience Coulton purchased.

That is how fubar'ed the copyright system has got....
That's fucked up; that he could get in trouble for NOT copying Sir Mix A Lot's melody.

Hopefully the original artist has character, unlike Fox, and wouldn't stoop nearly as low.