Global Cooling Is Imminent, Thinks Australian PM Advisor

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
To the rest of the world. Ignore the current Australian govt. They have nothing constructive to say about anything. The current PM of Australia is about as anti-environmental as you can get and his 'science team' was handpicked (after they threw the old one out).

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
I'll put it frank, the evidence supporting what people think when the term "global warming" is brought up is largely bullshit. These people are claiming that they can predict what the global climate is going to do hundreds of years in the future, but not a single model we've come up has been able to accurately predict even local climate for more than a few weeks in advance. And a lot of the evidence in support of it has numerous confounding variables that get ignored because it doesn't support the political cause that the people funding the research want. In short, when it comes right down to it, we genuinely have no good idea what the global climate is going to do and have no means to accurately guess at it.

That said, yes it is a terrible shame that the all the politicization has paralyzed the discussion on pollution. You don't need some kind of scary man-bear-pig like global warming as an excuse to improve on current technologies and work on reduction of pollution. Pollution is just plain unhealthy for human life. And while we may be better at it here in the US than in some countries (like, say, China), there's still room for improvement and we ought not be holding back on research into tech that could significantly improve the quality of life for many people.

But, unfortunately, politicians care more about having something they can scare people with than actually doing something about the problems.
Climate =/= Weather. Watch moar Cosmos.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
TripleDaddy said:
RJ Dalton said:
I'll put it frank, the evidence supporting what people think when the term "global warming" is brought up is largely bullshit. These people are claiming that they can predict what the global climate is going to do hundreds of years in the future, but not a single model we've come up has been able to accurately predict even local climate for more than a few weeks in advance. And a lot of the evidence in support of it has numerous confounding variables that get ignored because it doesn't support the political cause that the people funding the research want. In short, when it comes right down to it, we genuinely have no good idea what the global climate is going to do and have no means to accurately guess at it.

That said, yes it is a terrible shame that the all the politicization has paralyzed the discussion on pollution. You don't need some kind of scary man-bear-pig like global warming as an excuse to improve on current technologies and work on reduction of pollution. Pollution is just plain unhealthy for human life. And while we may be better at it here in the US than in some countries (like, say, China), there's still room for improvement and we ought not be holding back on research into tech that could significantly improve the quality of life for many people.

But, unfortunately, politicians care more about having something they can scare people with than actually doing something about the problems.
Climate =/= Weather. Watch moar Cosmos.
You can start with this one, simply explaining the difference between climate and weather.
The rest of episode 12 also goes over how we know its not the sun.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
um . . . does this guy not realize that the sun's output is actually lower than it should be right now? This is kinda pathetic and disturbing that someone would assert this is contradiction of all facts.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
You know... I voted for that guy. It was a calculated risk between a giant douche and a turd sandwich, bit it's still one which I regret.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
*facepalm*
It is far far easier to predict long term changes to the global temperature than it is to predict short-term local weather.
The latter is a chaotic system where the slightest change can cascade and cause feedback loops that cause exponentially large results from very small input.
The former, on the other hand, is a simple system that only needs to consider how much heat comes in compared to how much goes out. There are certainly variations, but the key difference is that any variation has very little effect on future variation (cloud cover one day doesn't stop the sun producing heat today, nor in the future), which means it is immune to the cascade effect that results in unreliable weather predictions.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Dear America,

We are sorry for making fun of you for Bush.

Sincerely, Australia.

OT: This is stupidity of disastrous proportions. The world was gobsmacked by Sarah Palin, but while she held our attention, a sleeper cell of idiots took over the Australian government.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
And so the line continues to blur between politics and trolling...thanks Newman! It's nice to not have America be the sad punchline of some joke at least once in a while.

Maze1125 said:
It is far far easier to predict long term changes to the global temperature than it is to predict short-term local weather.
The latter is a chaotic system where the slightest change can cascade and cause feedback loops that cause exponentially large results from very small input.
The former, on the other hand, is a simple system that only needs to consider how much heat comes in compared to how much goes out.
Eh...kind of. Short term forecasting, and especially Mesoscale phenomenon are very "in the moment" chaos, with many events occurring under our model's current resolution. But that doesn't really make climatology easier by comparison.

The problem is that evidence of how accurate our current climatological models are is weak simply because they haven't been running very long, relative to the time scale of the system we're measuring. If the model were an engine, it would be difficult to tell how smoothly it's running because we've scarcely heard it turn over...worse, it's possible the natural "engine" here is changing speeds even as we try to measure it.

(I actually attended a colloquial meeting at my university on this subject, and even the doctorate staff were dubious of some of the claims behind the proposed data assimilation methods to "accelerate" our verification process.)

Also, chaos in any system by nature makes anything harder to predict in the longer term because of the potential for propagation of errors. A lot of climatology is analog based as a result, which kind of sucks. (operational forecasting has analogs, and they tend to be very, very wrong)

All that said, this Newman fellow is still fucking bonkers, simply because his claim for GLOBAL cooling is predicated on trends with little to no real basis. Much of North America is experiencing a very cool summer right now, yet the last two summers years were among the hottest in recent memory.

You don't even need to cite the obvious effects of carbon emissions and the greenhouse effect to know that.
Besides, there's also...

-Re-radiation from impervious terrain (man-made surfacing, urban heat island; you can measure these easily with a car thermometer)

-Elimination and re-concentration of land vegetation for commercial usage (plants not only absorb direct sunlight, but most are comprised heavily of water, and thus are natural heat sinks. However, with dense agriculture comes potential front-loading of water and heat budgets inland. Trust me, being surrounded by corn, I am INTIMATELY acquainted with its ability to raise dew points)

-Garbage purging and its relationship to sea-surface algae (this stuff is bad new; it mucks with all sorts of things over time, but for this subject, it absorbs and traps more sunlight at the very surface of the ocean, which screws with the thermal gradient and thus the mixing)

..And all other manner of contributors that humanity has caused. We are changing the climate. It's to what extent that remains the tricky question.

Oh, if it weren't apparent, I'm a meteorologist with some experience and exposure to other earth sciences.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
He was of course writing this in The Australian, the country's national Murdoch rag. They will happily give space to anyone who rails against the science of climate change, and when they get done for misrepresenting facts they bleat loudly about how 'Stalinist' organisations want them to adhere to the truth.

It's the kind of newspaper I wouldn't use to scoop up a dog turd.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Let's just agree to not pay attention to what Business Advisors have to say about climate. I think that seems like an idea.

Baresark said:
Listen, you don't have to be on board for man made climate change. I get that. I'm not entirely on board myself, to be completely honest (skeptical is what everyone should be). But this is the most asinine thing I have ever heard.
Absolute certainty isn't necessary for action. Ya, skepticism is healthy when there's a clear lack of evidence, but continuing to question an assumption long after the evidence has become overwhelming is just denialism.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Olas said:
Let's just agree to not pay attention to what Business Advisors have to say about climate. I think that seems like an idea.

Baresark said:
Listen, you don't have to be on board for man made climate change. I get that. I'm not entirely on board myself, to be completely honest (skeptical is what everyone should be). But this is the most asinine thing I have ever heard.
Absolute certainty isn't necessary for action. Ya, skepticism is healthy when there's a clear lack of evidence, but continuing to question an assumption long after the evidence has become overwhelming is just denialism.
Honestly, what I or you think about it is completely inconsequential. Neither of us have any say what so ever in the direction any laws or regulations take in regards to it. And no matter what anyone says today, I or you cannot change the course it's going in, so it really doesn't matter if agree or not with you. For a lot of people it's just a matter of ego.

That said: I love the idea of alternate and clean energy sources, steadying any kind of climate change that is or is not man made, and just the world being an overall nicer place. I fully believe in pursuing the cleanest and best course possible and I fully believe that if we all have to make some sacrifices, it's OK and I'm all in.

The only thing you have wrong is that we all need to pissing our pants in fear to make anything happen. I, for one, am not for fear mongering. I don't believe in scaring the shit out of children by telling them the world is going to end, that isn't going to fix it. Action can happen without everyone being on board with what you think. Anyone with an ounce of reason doesn't need to be told the oceans are going to boil in order for there to be a change to a cleaner lifestyle and to have alternative and cleaner fuels and energy sources.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
My vague understanding of climate change (based on the 1990 novel, Jurassic Park) is that it's all about extremities rather than a static warming or cooling, so the world's weather becomes increasingly chaotic, hotter summers, colder winters, more frequent and destructive natural disasters.
Perhaps I should apply for a political role, they get some pretty sweet perks I hear.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Of course! *smacks head* The sun! Why didn't we ever consider that!

...I'm beginning to think pro wrestling's 7 year cycle works for politics, too.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Dear America,

We are sorry for making fun of you for Bush.

Sincerely, Australia.
Nah, we totally had it coming. Doesn't mean I'm not snickering, but still.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Lilani said:
So according to this guy, CO2 isn't causing global warming, and something to do with solar activity is actually going to cause global cooling? How convenient, turns out pollution is okay guys!

No , hes saying that the sun has been going through a hotter than normal period for the last 50 years, which to be fair it has and the cyclic nature of the suns output is pretty well documented, and hes saying that this completely overshadows the man made element. which to be fair hasn't been proved either way to my satisfaction. hes saying the cooling will happen as the sun cycles down. and well the sun getting cooler will have an affect, we do know this planet goes through regular and predictable ice ages.

is he an idiot and a schill? well hes a politician so.. ;) is he utterly wrong to think this way? maybe but right or wrong its still the wrong debate. at this point arguing if the sun or us is to blame is kind of like setting the table for dinner on the titanic.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Baresark said:
Olas said:

Baresark said:
Honestly, what I or you think about it is completely inconsequential. Neither of us have any say what so ever in the direction any laws or regulations take in regards to it. And no matter what anyone says today, I or you cannot change the course it's going in, so it really doesn't matter if agree or not with you. For a lot of people it's just a matter of ego.
You were the first one to state your personal opinion on the matter. Why did you even bother if you think it's so unimportant?

As for us 2 being inconsequential? Well, here's a movie quote that I like.

Large movements are made of many individuals, and if all those individuals chose to do nothing because of their own relative inconsequentialness, the entire movement wouldn't have happened. People might as well not vote either I guess, because our votes only make up an inconsequential fraction of the entire election results right?

That said: I love the idea of alternate and clean energy sources, steadying any kind of climate change that is or is not man made
If the climate change isn't man made, then why would clean energy sources 'steady' it?

and just the world being an overall nicer place. I fully believe in pursuing the cleanest and best course possible and I fully believe that if we all have to make some sacrifices, it's OK and I'm all in.
Well, it's nice to see that being a global warming 'skeptic' doesn't inherently mean you're against clean energy for some reason. Ultimately it doesn't matter what your reason for wanting to stop carbon emissions is as long as we do it one way or another.

The only thing you have wrong is that we all need to pissing our pants in fear to make anything happen. I, for one, am not for fear mongering. I don't believe in scaring the shit out of children by telling them the world is going to end, that isn't going to fix it.
I'm not saying anyone should "piss their pants" I just believe we should act responsibly to face a very real threat. If making people afraid inspires them to action then perhaps it's a good thing, but causing fear is not the goal. Calling someone 'fear mongering' because they accept what scientific evidence clearly shows, and feel that it demonstrates a need for change, is just slander.

If people can be convinced to switch to clean energy without raising their blood pressure or stress levels, I'm all for that. I'll admit, Al Gore's somewhat scary presentation of the facts, however justified, may have done more harm than good if it made some people see the global warming debate as "fear mongering" that overemphasized the problem. However, it's hard to say since being too passive about the problem can be bad too.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
To be perfectly honest, in the most civil way I can, all things considered, this man sounds like a complete fuckin' imbecile. Does this idiot really think that none of the climate scientists have considered the solar activity? He's either a moron or a shill for some oil company. Either way, get him the fuck out of politics.
Pretty much. His argument is basically a slightly more learned approach to the ages-old "Whaddaya mean, global warming? I couldn't wear shorts outside, today! I hadda wear jeans in August! Jeans! August! SNOWBALL EARTH, PEOPLE!"

Yeah, that was hyperbole, but you get the point. The science behind global warming is so poorly explained to the wider public that the general consensus is that there's a huge clique of nature-loving and progress-impeding idiots going on about silly stuff like the Great Coral Barrier or the icebergs melting...

"Who cares?" says Average Joe, "my wife's Hummer needs some gas and I'm doing my part! I'm driving a Prius!"

The mind boggles, seriously.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Lol why do I feel like this post marks the first person I've seen who is both a global warming denier and alarmist at the same time... Quite the feat these days.