Glu to Turn Off GameSpy Multiplayer Servers Next Month - Update

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
jackpipsam said:
JaceArveduin said:
Ha! Joke's on you Glu, the BFME servers have been down for 3 years!

Oh... Now I remember why I'm sad, and why I have a dislike for EA
To be fair EA couldn't keep running Lord of the Rings games, even if they wanted.
They lost the license to Warner Brothers, EA couldn't do anything with LotR anymore.
Oh I know, the servers went down December 2011, not the 2012 mentioned in the article. And the angry at EA bit is due to the problems that plagued the game I loved, and not that the server shut down (you can still get games on Gameranger, though you'll probably have to wait a bit if you're wanting u2.02)

I'm still not sure what kind of legal bullshit makes it where they couldn't continue to support games they'd already made though.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
ugh *head desk* on the one hand gamespy is dead wooo between the security flaws and spoty service over the years i hate it... on the other hand i know arma 2 multiplayer browser can crash if it cant connect to gamespy and it will allso be a heck of a pain to get onto my Day z epoch server in the future if we lose the browser and probably day z comander with that because i will have to make sure all the mods launch properly.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Wait, the only company that's announced any intention to transition to non-Gamespy servers is EA? Odd, they're the last company I'd expect to do anything this pro-consumer.

P.S. Thanks

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Good riddance. GameSpyware should have been shut down long ago. why people used them is beyond me. it literally sent spyware to your PC. Then again some people were enjoying these old games after all so it may be worth keeping it on for them.