Go on then, recommend me an anime.

Kalabrikan

Jun 10, 2010
nothingspringstomind said:
Preferably want more grown up sci fi stuff and as few episodes as possible. No 300 episode epics please, i don't have *that* much spare time.

Thanks!
Cowboy Bebop. Surprised it wasn't on your list in the first place. Outlaw Star is also good, though it's more trope-y and less mature.

Because you liked Code Geass, you'll probably like Death Note. I know you said "no 300 episode epics", but you might also want to try Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which is 110 episodes plus two movies and 52 episodes of side story).

Because you liked Ergo Proxy and Ghost in the Shell, you'll probably like Texhnolyze and Serial Experiments Lain. The latter is only 13 episodes long and plays out more like a film than an episodic series.

Edgeless

Jul 27, 2011
If you're looking for a laugh and not afraid of a bit of obscenity (nothing too bad) you might like To-Love-Ru or Mayo Chiki!.

Blake69

Aug 3, 2011
Athinira said:
Deadman Wonderland. It's really "alternative". Only problem is that it's rather new, so not that many episodes yet. But it's Bloody, Brilliant and Bloody Brilliant.
I'll second that. Great anime. Its by the same guy who made Eureka 7. Also, Highschool of the dead. Both only have about 12 episodes so not much time wasted time if you think they suck :p

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Angel Beats! Pretty good, got good action, comedy, a little bittersweet by the end but very enjoyable.

13acon

Jul 31, 2011
My computer decided to post that twice, sorry all. If there's a way to delete this one, it'd be nice to know.

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
I'm going to recommend
Durarara!! and Kino's Journey to start with.

Durarara!! is interesting and one of the few truly unique shows out there.
Kino's Journey is a very adult (as in mature and thought-provoking) and philosophical show. If you enjoyed the philosophical bits of Evangelion, you'll love this.

Mar 28, 2011
Kalabrikan said:
Preferably want more grown up sci fi stuff and as few episodes as possible. No 300 episode epics please, i don't have *that* much spare time.

Thanks!
Cowboy Bebop. Surprised it wasn't on your list in the first place. Outlaw Star is also good, though it's more trope-y and less mature.

Because you liked Code Geass, you'll probably like Death Note. I know you said "no 300 episode epics", but you might also want to try Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which is 110 episodes plus two movies and 52 episodes of side story).

Because you liked Ergo Proxy and Ghost in the Shell, you'll probably like Texhnolyze and Serial Experiments Lain. The latter is only 13 episodes long and plays out more like a film than an episodic series.
Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are ones i've seen *years* ago. probably should have mentioned that lol.

The list is the stuff i've been watching and re-watching recently.

I think i'll edit the OP to clarify.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I think you might like One Piece.

It's got a nice, complex, engaging, and well-paced story, alot of fun characters, some some strange yet excited action scenes.

I think you might find it well worth a look, even if it has it's flaws, such as being predictable in some areas and there are some lengthly flashbacks that might get boring.

It's so far the only manga/anime in years that I've gotten into.

Aside from that, I remember Crest of the Stars being kinda good, Outlaw Star I found to be memorable, and I do remember enjoying Escaflowne.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
sgt. soap mctavish said:
Um....Baccano?
Do it, ************. You won't be disappointed.

On that note, Durarara, but subbed. Trust me on that.

-The World Only God Knows: Oh ho ho, boy, don't even get me started. I'll just leave the manga here.

-Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san: It's about a badass ************ who summons demons. Who's fittingly voiced by the main character of Persona 4. Yes, MC now talks, thanks to the anime.
-if you don't mind a live-action Japanese drama, Kamen Rider, preferably W. It's like Power Rangers, but with more motorbikes.
-Black Butler. Great characters, good plot, but a bunch of homolust with the young main character. So tread carefully with this one.
-Hajime no Ippo. All I'll say is Dempsey Roll.
-Ghost in The Shell: If you don't mind using your head, it's a fun watch. The Major's voice could probably give a tree wood, too.
-Darker than Black: Heroes without Hiro, but in Japan.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Best anime I've ever seen has to be FullMetal Alchemist. There's two different series. The first was an original anime, while the follows the manga closely. Great characters, universe, and story. I loved every minute of it.

I'd also highly recommend Samuria Champloo.

Recently however I watched one called "Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom". An interesting non-sci-fi anime focusing heavily on guns and assassination. Rather heavy though.

A more lighthearted one was "The Sacred Blacksmith". A short 13 episode series. The action is decent, but suffers from being too short. Lot of things left unresolved or improperly incorporated. Could have used more fleshing out. It was still fun to watch though.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Dennou Coil should fit. Yes, the main characters are all very young and it's a lot more upbeat than most of the entries on your list. Still, with writing this good you'd be a fool for caring about that. The story here is the best kind of puzzle; every piece fits and they slowly put themselves together without ever revealing too much or too little.

The rest of my suggestions wouldn't be science-fiction (except maybe Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain), and I'm not too keen on making an irrelevant top 100 list of shows I like.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Serial Experiments Lain...

Mushi-Shi...

Shigurui...

Just off the top of my head...<.<

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I need something to fill the hours of work where the phone isn't ringing.

As for what i like, here's a list of some i've been watching and enjoying lately

Gundam 00
Rin; Daughters of Mnemosyne
Ergo Proxy
Code Geass
Tenga Toppen Gurren Laggan
Planetes
Ghost in the Shell (Every episode/movie)
Evangelion
Trigun
Gungrave
Casshern Sins
Elfen Lied
Macross Frontier
Geneshaft

Thanks!

*EDIT*

I should clarify that these are anime i've watched/re-watched in the last 12 months not all the anime i've seen ever.

Love Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star as much as the next person it's just a general list of the kind of anime i've been in the mood for.
Well the other Gundam series like original, Wing, 08th MS Team and 0080. 0080 is really short might be somethings you would like.
Try Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood also, it is really good. Same goes for the Break Blade OVAs.
Now here are just my usual recommendations that I always give:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Star Driver
Durarara!!!
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control. Really good and short.