Go on then, recommend me an anime.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Folly Cooly (also called FL/CL) Its only 6 episodes long, but its 6 episodes of absolute pure, unfiltered, mind-melting amazing. And its hilarious :p

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Durarara!! I heartily recommend. You can watch it on Crunchyroll.

Black Butler (also known as Kuroshitsuji) has an extremely inconsistent tone and I'm told doesn't follow the manga, but the climax of the first season is great. The second season at least gets off to a strong start, but I never bothered to finish it. You can watch it on Funimation's website, I think.

There's some website that lists Mushi-shi as the #2 anime of all-time. I have two episodes left to watch and I'm waiting for it to get good. It's not bad by any means, but...zzz...you can watch it on Netflix Instant Play, if you have it.

I've seen four or five episodes of Deadman Wonderland. It has an interesting premise, but has seemed to be decent despite its efforts to the contrary. You can watch it on Crunchyroll.

Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist) is an odd bit of fantasy shounen. Its first two episodes are action-packed and yet somehow dreadful. When it devolves into a high school drama with some fighting...it gets good. I don't get it either. On Crunchyroll.

One Piece...ahahaha. Good luck. On Funimation's website.

Darker than Black: Season 1? Good. Season 2? Bad. Suspenseful, action-filled...but not above filling half the episode with the boring half of the main character's life (sort of like Code Geass only less interesting). On Funimation's website, I believe.

The World God Only Knows: Damn that's a nice name. That's really the only thing I can say about the first episode, which is the only one I saw. It's on Crunchyroll.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: That one amazing thing now has an anime...again! Only now it follows the actual plot! Contains such notable figures as Evil Ziggy, Anime Hitler, and That One Guy Who Has An Adorable Baby Daughter. I think it's actually back up on Funimation's website, but if so, probably only for a limited time.

[C] - Control: Want to watch a premise tailor-made to be an amazing 500 episode long shounen action anime be condensed into eleven episodes? Then this is the anime for you! It squandered its potential, but the first eight of its eleven episodes are good. If you're still not convinced, it has a moe girl who eats money.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Ahahahaha no I'm serious. Best YGO series in my opinion (an opinion shared by...few...people). You can watch the first 64+ episodes subtitled (which is the ONLY way to watch it) on Hulu. There's no need to watch after episode 64. Then it starts getting...weird. Like...really weird.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Like Yu-Gi-Oh! except not as good and with less magical powers. Like...none, except something's implied. Watch on Crunchyroll. Stand up the Vanguard!

Death Note: I don't know how/if you've gotten through all that and haven't seen Death Note, but if you haven't, correct the imbalance. Just, after...something...happens, you can stop watching. You'll know what I mean when it happens. On Hulu and Viz's website.

Claymore: Girls in armor killing demons. The plot got cut off by executives, so it ends with a cauterized stump, but until then it's interesting. And that symbol looks kind of like the Geass symbol. Hm...*imagines them fusing* Best. Anime. Ever. Oh yeah, it's on Funi's website.

Code Geass: Do yourself a favor and watch it again. And again. And again.

Wow...that's a big list. Half of it was me saying everyone else's suggestions were bad, but...

escapistraptor

Dec 1, 2009
Got a lot of good classics there on your list OP. How about adding another one, The Big O? Just two seasons, and its like Batman if he had a giant robot

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
I recommend Toaru Majutsu no Index(A Certain Magical Index) great story, characters and action.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
nothingspringstomind said:
I need something to fill the hours of work where the phone isn't ringing.

As for what i like, here's a list of some i've been watching and enjoying lately

Gundam 00
Rin; Daughters of Mnemosyne
Ergo Proxy
Code Geass
Tenga Toppen Gurren Laggan
Planetes
Ghost in the Shell (Every episode/movie)
Evangelion
Trigun
Gungrave
Casshern Sins
Elfen Lied
Macross Frontier
Geneshaft

Preferably want more grown up sci fi stuff and as few episodes as possible. No 300 episode epics please, i don't have *that* much spare time.

Thanks!

*EDIT*

I should clarify that these are anime i've watched/re-watched in the last 12 months not all the anime i've seen ever.

Love Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star as much as the next person it's just a general list of the kind of anime i've been in the mood for.
You sir have excellent taste in anime.

2HF said:
R.O.D the TV
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Cowboy Bebop
^^

By the way I think this guy's on to something.
I'd also throw give a nod to Mai Hime.

That's one of my personal favorites

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Haruhi Suzumiya
Kore wa Zombie desuka?
Ika Musume
Higurashi no naku Koro Ni
Chobits
Dokuro-chan
now if ya want a real masterpiece, go for Black Rock Shooter, its a 45 minute OVA, and when I say masterpiece, Im talkin Louvre-worthy masterpiece

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
If you liked Bebop and Gungrave then you NEED to see Baccno. Also make sure you watch it in English.

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
Quick note for the mods: The person that received the warning for the post that reads "IGPX" is actually contributing. International Grand Prix is an American Anime that aired on Cartoon Network back in 2004 (or was it 2005?). Just as a heads-up.

One more off topic comment: I was talking with Kyle Hebert at Anime Detour last April. Those of you who don't know him know his voice: Kiba in Naruto, Kamina in Gurren Lagann, Ryu in SF4 and MvC3, etc. I told him how I thought the Gurren Lagann dub was one of the best I'd heard in a very long time, which I do. He responded by saying that it's good to hear, considering it was a rush job. Apparently, Funi started working on the dub project right around the time Sfyfy Channel announced that it was coming to Ani-Mondays.

Anyways, back on topic. Here's my list of recommendations, on top of the previous suggestions:

Gunslinger Girl: Tears your heart out of your chest, rips it to pieces in front of you, then drops the shards in your hands. The Italian government runs an agency that takes terminally ill children, turns them into cyborgs, and uses them as assassins for the government. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

Persona ~Trinity Soul~: A spin off of the Atlus RPG series. Interesting character development, solid animation, and an engaging story.

Samurai 7: It's the Akira Kurosawa classic retold in Steampunk Japan. Mesmerizing series, my gf and I love it.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Better yet, I'll get you a search for this thread subject. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?q=reccomend+anime&cx=005672590579257297818%3Amkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search

There are over 300 of these things. Why don't we just sticky one anime recommendations topic so I don't have to see this topic pop up again every day?