Go to hell, 2K. Sincerely, every Australian on Steam

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
Up until recently, our dollar was pretty strong and we were doing a lot better off economically. It makes sense that companies charge more for their product when they assume that all Australians are rolling around in baby poo yellow notes(because that's the color of our currency o_0).

It probably didn't help either that whilst we were economically strong, there were more people who would pay $90 US for a new game. Hell, a lot of people will pay top dollar for a new game anyway, so it's no real surprise that companies jack prices up to see what they can get away with.

One of the main reasons I don't buy games new anymore. Ask yourself, will the game still be available in a year or so? And if not, it probably wasn't great to begin with.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
Edit: I just checked my local store; I can pre-order it there for less than it'd cost me to buy the game on Steam. A physical copy costs less than a digital one.

Wow. Just. Wow.
This has been the cased for almost every major Triple A title on PC for years. For example I got Titanfall 2 days after launch for £24 on Amazon, it was still £40 on every online distributor.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
i've given up buying new releases on steam or even real life stores, which do the same ridiculous marking up of prices. the only reasonable way is to import, or through another online store like greenman

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
It's 49.99 euros here, so yeah, you have every right to be pissed off.

Personally, I'm waiting for a sale, not in that much of a rush to play it anyway

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I thought 90 was the standard price for games in Australia?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Worgen said:
I thought 90 was the standard price for games in Australia?
$90 AUD, sure, that's not uncommon.

But with our dollar, which was once on par with the USD, dropping in value lately $90 USD is about $125 AUD.

Plus some PC games, even big budget games at release, have been offered for substantially less in the last few years. $50-$80 AUD was becoming quite common.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
hmm they are saying on the official site its $89.95 AUD to retailers.. so it could possibly be a pricing screw up on steam listing that in USD by mistake..

but at the moment screw you 2K

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Steam's retarded USD pricing for AUD customers is the thing really to blame, it is literally pants on head retarded.

Every time I have to explain to somebody that a $20 steam card from a retailer actually costs $27 I die a little inside.

Australia is a big enough market for steam to allow us to pay in AUD for fuck sake, or, if you are going to continue to make us pay in USD stop jacking prices up, if we are paying in USD we are All-Fucking-Ready paying more and automatically adjusting for currency prices

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I just opened up Steam now and it's displaying the price as $60 USD, which is a lot more reasonable.

Maybe it was just a fuck up? Or, if you are inclined to be cynical, maybe they were hoping to catch a few suckers.

Sep 14, 2009
Lil_Rimmy said:
gmaverick019 said:
I almost never buy things through steam directly anymore.

here is a worldwide key pre-order for it:

http://www.kinguin.net/category/17677/xcom-2-steam-cd-key/

~39 bucks american, not sure what that will translate for AU dollars on there, but as far as I know they don't screw the fuck out of you.

greenmangaming has their usually 23% off coupon right now, but that only puts it down to about 46 bucks, but there is that too.
Hey mate, seriously, thank you so much. That is going to save me a shit-ton of dollars that I really don't need to spend.

EDIT: Does anyone know if those pre-order keys can come with the preorder DLC? I mean, hell, I hate their pricing structure but fuck me X-Com is the crack of video games.
you're welcome, kinguin has yet to fail me (or cause fraud or anything stupid) in my ~25 key purchases from them, so I'd recommend them to anyone looking for possible cheaper prices.

Also, the pre-order things can be tricky, sometimes my steam keys COME with it attached (the key is different from normal keys, so it includes the pre-order free dlc thing) while other times you have to exclusively buy the key through steam for the pre-order goodies to be available to you.

If I were you I would possibly check out reviews/comments and such, or ask questions to the sellers to see if they know or not. if not, then possibly find the cheapest price on the key, then use that saved money to buy the pre-order DLC :-D

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
In my experience Steam is a pretty horrible place to shop if you're not from the US. Before my country switched to Euros it didn't accept my currency and even if it did i could buy games at launch at 40% smaller prices elsewhere which is still the case. Only some rare deals are worth looking at.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I feel your pain my friend, maybe not as extreme but I'm canadian, I get to pay 80$ for XCOM-2...Yeah sorry 2K the 70$ CDN price point was already pissing me off, but that was about what I way paying when I converted CDN dollars to US dollars, but 80$? Oh yeah just throw another 10$ on top of it, pfft their foreigners who gives a shit am-I-right?

I understand the currency-conversion thing to a point, but ultimately 2K isn't having a gun held to their heads and being forced to jack up the prices for foreigners...I could be wrong maybe it's steam's fault for not using each countries currency? *sigh* doesn't matter it's still a shitty situation that somebody needs to fix, either 2K grows a spine and dares to lose a little bit of profits to ensure that non-americans aren't getting royally screwed over or Steam needs to pull its head out of its arse and use local currencies, not that I expect either of those things to happen since again, who cares? Their just customers

Ross Zevenhuizen

Apr 9, 2014
thewatergamer said:
I feel your pain my friend, maybe not as extreme but I'm canadian, I get to pay 80$ for XCOM-2...Yeah sorry 2K the 70$ CDN price point was already pissing me off, but that was about what I way paying when I converted CDN dollars to US dollars, but 80$? Oh yeah just throw another 10$ on top of it, pfft their foreigners who gives a shit am-I-right?
I raised an eyebrow at the price myself, but weirdly enough... on examination and contrary to the usual way publishers and console manufacturers treat Canadians, we're not being screwed. It turns out that the current exchange rate for the Canadian Dollar is 75 cents US - the lowest it's been in more than a decade. At a 25% markup, our $80 X-COM comes to a round $60 price point in USD.

That's still a little steep for a market that generally takes a 10-dollar dive over the store pricing (and should! Digital goods have a negligible distribution cost!), but it lines up quite fairly with the price in the US. The real culprit is our poor dollar going from near (or even above) parity with the US to this woeful state in just under a year.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
$90 US for XCOM 2? Seriously? Marking up the price for Australians and nobody else is already pretty messed up, but $90 US?!?!
Could it possibly be that your government is taxing the shit outta it because "vidya germs is bad, urmk"? I mean, you do live in Australia...

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Just checked and it's showing me for me as $59.99US so it appears they've fixed it. I know many companies fix their pricing after an initial release price... Unlike Fallout 4 lol

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Whatislove said:
Every time I have to explain to somebody that a $20 steam card from a retailer actually costs $27 I die a little inside.
Hate to add to your internal necrotic growth, but perhaps you can explain it to me, as every Steam Wallet card I've purchased cost the exact listed price. ($20 or $50)

Unless you're referring to Steam Wallet cards sold in Australia, in which case disregard my post.

Zhukov said:
I just opened up Steam now and it's displaying the price as $60 USD, which is a lot more reasonable.

Maybe it was just a fuck up? Or, if you are inclined to be cynical, maybe they were hoping to catch a few suckers.
My guess is that it was a listing glitch. The price was likely displayed in AUD but the currency label was still displaying USD.

I've seen it happen before. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case now.

Does it still display as $60USD?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Foolery said:
Well, as a Canadian, with the recent change to game prices in the last year or so, I can honestly say I feel some of your pain. It's 79.99 over here. Hell, MGSV was 74.99 CDN. It sucks. But hey, there's always Steam sales.
Hey $75 Canadian is pretty good right now. Was just there visiting family, bought all I could cause I knew it was gonna be cheaper.

Yeah, some countries suck to play video games in. But hey, at least you're not living in Brazil, where a PS4 us 1,500 USD and an Xbone is 800. Nintendo doesn't even sell Wii U's there because the taxes are imports are so damn high.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Zhukov said:

im going with fuckup, you can refund your preorder at any time even before the refund changes.
So you would have to think this is a good deal, and not hear about a price change for 6 months.