God games

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Does anyone know any decent god dames? I played Black and white and loved it, but seemed to have a little trouble getting into Black and white 2 for some reason. Might give it another shot at some point.

I'm really looking forward to From dust which looks pretty good.

Aaand that's about it. Is there any more out there I've missed? I really enjoy this type of game. Freedom is complete win.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
You might wanna give the Populous games a shot, I once played one at a friends house a long time ago and it was great fun. they're fairly old games, so it might be difficult to purchase.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Play Fallout 3/NV or Morrowind/Oblivion on the PC.

Go into the console and type "tgm".

You are now god and will never run out of ammo, weapons will not degrade and you cannot die .... YOU ARE INVINCIBLE (insert mad scientist style laughter here).

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Have you tried Dungeon Keeper 2?
You may not technichally be a god, but still, you're a powerful being that controls a dungeon and an army of minions.
You also get to cast spells on enemies...
But most importantly: you get to be evil.

MazzaTheFirst

Jul 1, 2009
Black and White was the bomb! Admittedly the first one was better but a million times more frustrating while the second one was very accessible but didn't seem as deep.

Also, pre-ordered From Dust as well, looking forward to that. ;)

The only other game sort of like that was Heaven and Hell, where I think you literally played as God in a Sim City game and your cities were Heaven and Hell. Or something like that. Though that game isn't anything like Black and White and is pretty much Sim City, so I wouldn't imagine that is the kind of game you are looking for. That is as far as that genre as I have played. I'd also be interested if anyone knows of more games like Black and White.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
God I'm so excited for From Dust, I can't wait. I really love Black and White 2, but I found 1 to be the harder one to get into for some reason.

Not sure about any God Games, but how about City Sims? They're sort of similar I think, Tropico 3 and CivCity Rome are very good choices.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Sadly OP I'm in the same spot as you, just isn't any good god games outside of B&W out at the moment.

weker

May 27, 2009
kebab4you said:
Sadly OP I'm in the same spot as you, just isn't any good god games outside of B&W out at the moment.
From dust is very good, but a few to many people expect the game to not be a puzzle game which i dont get at all.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Some of the games posted so far I've played already, but I'd class those as more simulators than god games if you get what I mean. Tropico 3 was great, Sim city is alright, and dungeon keeper was pretty fun.

If anyone likes those type of games I'd strongly recommend Evil genius. It's the best evil genius sim out there!

I tried dungeons, but for reason I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the mandatory 'do as I say tutorial' that seemed to last forever.

Feb 3, 2009
Psycho-Toaster said:
Doshin the Giant is a pretty fun, rather unheard of god game for the Gamecube. If you can get your hands on it, I'd recommend it.
I remember reading a Nintendo magazine AGES ago, saw an article/review on Doshin, always fancied it but could never find it. :( The red/evil giant looked awesome.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Gods and Idols is a ftp game that is currently in development. At the moment there's only a tech demo.

It's not so much a God game as an online mutliplayer interstellar RTS, but there are some divine influences: reigniting stars at the end of their lifespan; reforming asteroid belts into planets; your power is linked to your followers' devotion; sacrificing followers for extra power, building temples etc.

At the moment though, the community is EXTREMELY small, with about 10 to 15 active members.

EDIT: The video on the homepage is ingame footage (though not yet implemented in the tech demo)

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
weker said:
From dust is very good, but a few to many people expect the game to not be a puzzle game which i dont get at all.
I said out at the moment :p Which to my knowledge From Dust isn't.

weker

May 27, 2009
kebab4you said:
weker said:
It is out currently, and as I said it's very enjoyable.
You might think its not out yet as it is not on PC but on XBLA it is.

OrpheumZero

Feb 25, 2010
Sims is always an obvious choice.

The Movies, if you can find it, is also pretty fun. While not a full on God game, the idea of playing a "Directoral overlord" is pretty fun.

Then of course you have things like Spore, Black & White, Civilizations and so forth.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
weker said:
kebab4you said:
weker said:
Ah that might explain it, still, looking forward to the PC release.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Dwarf Fortress is something you should look into. Not strictly a god-game in the same sense as Populous or Black & White, but the basic mechanics of controlling civilizations against the odds in a Sims meets Dungeon Keeper sort of way is brilliant.

Weeeeeeeeee bit of a tricky game to get into however, though on the plus side it's free!

weker

May 27, 2009
kebab4you said:
weker said:
kebab4you said:
weker said:
Ah that might explain it, still, looking forward to the PC release.
I do warn you the games difficulty does elevate quickly, furthermore the game is more about manipulation of element and some people find the fact that sands spreads out frustrating.
Its a puzzle game that has challenge.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I think if you tried to Google 'list of god games' Wikipedia will give you a list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_god_video_games
But I'll recommend you some anyways from my personal experience:
Black and white you already mentioned.
Dungeon Keeper 2 isn't really a god game but it's pretty damn close.
Populous 3 the beginning. I'm 90% sure it's freeware now so search it out, play it and keep playing it. Probably some of the best godly fun you'll have in a while if you can put up with the old graphics etc.
From dust seems to be more of a terraforming kind of game but it's out on PC on the 17th so you may want to look into it.
By the final parts of the space stage spore becomes quite the god game, playing with planets, completely messing up everything. It can be quite fun.
I mention the Sims so I don't get yelled at, but I have no personal comment to add to it.

I could go on, but really - just look about and you'll find plenty.