God of War Ragnarok Thread

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
"Death can have me, when it earns me." - Kratos.

The most bad ass line GoW history.

I watched the trailer a couple more times and i gotta say...I think God of War is easily GOTY. Like even over Elden Ring's ass. Because GoW will be badass AND fresh in people's minds where ER was 6 months ago already.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched the trailer a couple more times and i gotta say...I think God of War is easily GOTY. Like even over Elden Ring's ass. Because GoW will be badass AND fresh in people's minds where ER was 6 months ago already.
Either title can get GOTY for all I care. ER is still making sales, and is still in people's minds, so I would not count it out yet. Not everyone's minds, but a lot. It does not matter for me, because my GOTY is going to be Bayonetta 3, and it's the gamers that win. All these awesome and ambitious titles are coming out during the fall season or near the end of this year.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Okay, so this moment shreds!

View attachment 7014

This rivals if not exceeds when this happened in God of War 3.

View attachment 7015

Really, the only thing that could’ve made it any better would’ve been hinting at a callback to those epic scale boss fights from PS3 days. The GoW3 Vengeance trailer will always hold a special place in my brain’s jaw dropping game teaser files.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Like I said earlier, if they manage to expand the mechanics in a meaningful way and not bloat up the progression/upgrade stuff like Horizon FW did, it wouldn’t surprise me. All it would really take imo is having tighter design and nailing the story to get the nod over ER. All the accessibility stuff doesn’t hurt its chances either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
"Death can have me, when it earns me." - Kratos.

The most bad ass line GoW history.

It's the Odin line that really gets me; "What do you know of godhood? In all your lifetimes, has anyone ever worshipped you, prayed to you? Can you even imagine that kind of love?" It's beautifully deranged, while also noting that Kratos is a god on the outside of any religious culture.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's the Odin line that really gets me; "What do you know of godhood? In all your lifetimes, has anyone ever worshipped you, prayed to you? Can you even imagine that kind of love?" It's beautifully deranged, while also noting that Kratos is a god on the outside of any religious culture.
Yes, deranged is the first clue into what a hypocrite he actually is. His line that follows is even more irksome (“…The monster who kills without cause.”).

From the GoW Fandom wiki itself -

Odin is the unseen overarching antagonist of the 2018 video game God of War and is based on the mythical Norse figure of the same name. Similar to many of the Greek mythological figures from the same franchise, he is a far more sinister, barbaric, and cruel figure than his classic myth counterpart.

He is the main antagonist in the Norse Era of God of War, replacing Zeus. Though he never appeared physically in the game, he was mentioned and referenced many times by various characters like Atreus, Freya, and Mimir as a cruel, barbaric, power-hungry and megalomaniacal deity and the one who responsible for much suffering in the nine realms.

So basically, I won’t feel bad in the slightest for whatever’s coming to him in the game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Kinda old but worth revisiting-

I’d add a bloated upgrade/character progression system to that list though. Limit it to finding better gear/runics and I’d be cool with it.

Also some interesting insights/theories here (including in comments) -

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kinda old but worth revisiting-

I’d add a bloated upgrade/character progression system to that list though. Limit it to finding better gear/runics and I’d be cool with it.
I do wonder how they will handle all the combat moves that you can unlock in the first game. It would be kinda weird to remove all the things you already supposedly had at the end of the game, but at the same time, the later unlocks in GOW4 felt more than a little unnecessary. I could have definitely gone without those weird combos where you need to move back during your attack.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I do wonder how they will handle all the combat moves that you can unlock in the first game. It would be kinda weird to remove all the things you already supposedly had at the end of the game, but at the same time, the later unlocks in GOW4 felt more than a little unnecessary. I could have definitely gone without those weird combos where you need to move back during your attack.
My guess is they're gonna cut the moves that didn't work too well and keep the ones that did, and then build new moves on top of those. You're probably gonna fight either Freya or Thor early on and they're gonna mess you up and make you lose your gear and upgrades from the first game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Odds are it’ll be another bait and switch tactic, where *something* happens that more or less resets character progression and items attained. In the second clip of 35 things missed one of the comments mentions the bifrost tool being the same as in GoW for the Thor fight but different at other points, so maybe there’s an event that changes the way realms operate, allowing travel to previously locked areas. But it will require a “sacrifice” of some kind. Pure speculation of course.

Anyways,

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_McMillan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Something minor I hope to see is the rest of dwarven brothers' creations for the gods, as well as those from the Ivaldi dwarves. With the twists for the GOW, of course.

Maybe Atreus/Loki cuts off the hair from sif, which gives more reasons to why Thor hunts the pair, and Ivaldi's create the hair via slavery.

Odin is swinging his Gungnir during his boss fight.

Maybe the Odin's duplicating golden rings has stopped at one point, and they can be a collectible for something badass?

Kratos and Atreus steals Freyr's ship, as well as use his golden boar to pull them across realms

Ivaldi brothers could be portrayed as bit cynical from years of working as slaves under the gods, and holds resentment towards Brok and Sindri for putting them in their positions all those years ago

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Good on the team for working through the pandemic.

Sadly no PS5 for me, but I'm happy for anyone who'll get to enjoy this!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Good on the team for working through the pandemic.

Sadly no PS5 for me, but I'm happy for anyone who'll get to enjoy this!
I'll be getting the PS4 version. Plus, there is the upgrade if you put the PS4 disc inside of a PS5, so it's not that big of a deal for me. It just sucks that it's going to be such a crowded late October and pretty much all of November.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I figured Sunny Suljic going through early puberty was going to cause the years long development for this game some big issues.