GOG.com Uploads System Shock: Enhanced Edition

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
GOG.com Uploads System Shock: Enhanced Edition

The original System Shock has debuted on GOG.com, complete with an "enhanced edition" and extra goodies.

Most Escapist readers know <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7356-System-Shock-2>System Shock 2 was a landmark PC game, but for some reason, System Shock 1 is usually overlooked. This 1994 DOS release mixed Ultima Underworld's RPG elements with Doom's sci-fi shooter gameplay, striking a balance that inspired a generation story-based action games. That said, the original System Shock hasn't been compatible with modern systems for years - until today. Night Dive Studios, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122093-GOG-Uploads-System-Shock-2>the team responsible for System Shock 2's upgrade, has just released an all-new System Shock: Enhanced Edition which can be purchased from GOG.com.

System Shock is set in the cyberpunk future of 2072, where a nameless hacker - that's you - is arrested and blackmailed into committing a crime. The job: Disable the ethical constraints of SHODAN, the AI for an advanced space station. As you might expect, this plan backfires when SHODAN kills the crew, transforms them into killer cyborgs, and initiates a plan to attack Earth. Now the player's job is to subvert SHODAN's plan from inside the station, fighting robots, cyborgs, and mutants along the way.

System Shock: Enhanced Edition is a remastering with several welcome upgrades. The most obvious are new resolution options, supporting up to 1024x768 and a native 854x480 widesreen mode (as opposed to 640x480 by default). The gameplay has also been improved with a toggleable mouselook mode, remappable controls, and a refined inventory system.

And if you prefer the original experience? That's fine too - GOG.com has bundled System Shock's classic edition with the purchase. GOG.com also tossed in some goodies as well, including the soundtrack, a hintbook, a full strategy guide, and even the 1990s TV commercial.

"With System Shock: Enhanced Edition, we're implementing game-changing improvements," Stephen Kick, CEO of Night Dive Studios said in a statement. "The classic game has never been more accessible to a modern audience."

[gallery=4744]

System Shock 2 absolutely deserves praise for refining System Shock's concept to perfection, but it's important to remember where the series began - <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock>especially for such an influential title in its own right. Long-time fans and modern gamers alike can purchase it at a 20 percent discount (or 40 for System Shock 2 owners) for the next week before it reverts to its $9.99 price tag.

One more thing: System Shock: Enhanced Edition will mark the return of The Escapist's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews>Good Old Reviews column! Check back this Saturday Sept. 26 to see how the re-release holds up!

Source: <a href=https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition>GOG.com

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I credit the original system shock for a huge chunk of my love for PC gaming. Without this gem, I would have probably spent my most formative years doing silly, useless things like going on dates, playing football, and getting good grades in middle school. 9 thumbs up.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh, great memories. Probably the first game that got me wanting to visit its setting under happier times - to see Citadel Station under before shodan went nuts.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I always loved System Shock 2 (even if parts of it terrified me as a child), but I've never played System Shock 1. This may be my chance to change that.

That or it'll prompt me to go through System Shock 2 again.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Is this the same thing as System Shock Portable? Because it sounds like it is.
I tried to get into it, but it didn't appeal to me like SS2 did, so I didn't get very far.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet was wondering when they would release this.

Now I can play this in order.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Smart move on GoG's part, I've always thought there'd be good money to be made in a System Shock 1 remake, given the number of people who've played the 2nd game but not the 1st and might be curious as to how the whole mess began.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
System Shock is a good game. Dated, of course, but I remember quite enjoying it at the time.

And powers know the pseudo-VR hacking, however clunky, is better than playing a hundred games of Minesweeper Lite in SS2.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
A surprsingly scary game at times.

Shows that sci-fi and horror can go along very well if the atmosphere is right.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Doom972 said:
Is this the same thing as System Shock Portable? Because it sounds like it is.
I tried to get into it, but it didn't appeal to me like SS2 did, so I didn't get very far.
Not the same at all, I have both.

Having said that they both do roughly the same thing, make the exact same game playable on Modern Systems.

Main difference are
GOG version comes with the Classic version as a separate Game.
Portable version "Enhances" the game with community mods.

Whereas the GOG version is upgraded by the professional Devs, Night Dive Studios, the same Dev Team responsible for System Shock 2's upgrade on GOG.

Portable was free but is now unavailable as the game is no longer abandoned and now on sale. The Modders withdrew the download as they always said they would, if the rights were renewed.
Maybe Modders provided some help and advice to Night Dive Studios, it's happened with other games like Homeworld Remastered.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Now that Night Dive owns the rights to the entire franchise, I wonder if they'd be amenable to a fan remake. Because if there was ever a game in desperate need of its own Black Mesa, it'd be this one.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I have to wonder how it feels to go back and play it after playing SS2, Bioshock and Bioshock: Infinite, which can be argued to be at least spiritual sequels(Bioshock,BS:I) if not direct sequels like SS2 was. I played the games in order of release so I it'll probably be kind of jarring to go back and play it for the first time in 20 years.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Dalisclock said:
I have to wonder how it feels to go back and play it after playing SS2, Bioshock and Bioshock: Infinite, which can be argued to be at least spiritual sequels(Bioshock,BS:I) if not direct sequels like SS2 was. I played the games in order of release so I it'll probably be kind of jarring to go back and play it for the first time in 20 years.
It's awkward as hell to play with the original controls, but once you get used to them, the game's speed is slow enough that you're able to use them well enough. The graphics are at the level of the original doom, so very pixely, but otherwise completely usable.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Anyone know what the odds are of seeing this on Steam? I'll get it on GoG if I have to, but options are always nice.