GOG Crits Again: Adds Seven More Dungeons & Dragons Classics

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Crits Again: Adds Seven More Dungeons & Dragons Classics

GOG has released three new Dungeons & Dragons collections containing the classic Ravenloft, Krynn and Dark Sun series.

Fans of retro gaming may recall <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142013-Dungeons-Dragons-Gold-Box-Classics-Land-on-GOG>back in August when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gog>GOG announced that it, in cooperation with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/wizards%20of%20the%20coast?os=wizards+of+the+coast>Wizards of the Coast, had re-released a significant collection of Dungeons & Dragons games. Included among these were a number of long unavailable classics and titles from the beloved Gold Box line which had never before been available as digital products. As impressive an achievement as it was however, there were still a number of titles missing from the site's D&D library.

Hoping to correct that hole in its catalog, GOG <a href=https://www.gog.com/news/release_dungeons_dragons_ravenloft_dark_sun_krynn_series>announced yesterday that it has re-released seven more Dungeons & Dragons titles. Split into three packs, the new additions include the <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_ravenloft_series>Ravenloft series (Strhad's Possession, Stone Prophet), <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_krynn_series>the Krynn games (Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, The Dark Queen of Krynn) and <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series>the Dark Sun titles (Shattered Lands, Wake of the Ravager). All three collections are digital premieres and are being sold for $9.99 each.

Speaking about this new swathe of D&D releases, GOG's Oleg Klapovsky expressed pride over the site's role in preserving these titles for old fans and modern gamers to enjoy. "The missing pieces of cRPG history are coming back together," he said. "Whether it's the legendary Forgotten Realms, the extensive world of Krynn, the broken Dark Sun universe, or the gothic realm of Ravenloft - we're excited to be a small part of it all." We suspect there's more than a few gamers out there who are just as excited as GOG is.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
It's a shame WotC basically killed so many great settings: Planescape and Spelljammer, Krynn, Faerun in its old incarnation... Oh, what games could be set in those NOWADAYS!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Rastrelly said:
It's a shame WotC basically killed so many great settings: Planescape and Spelljammer, Krynn, Faerun in its old incarnation... Oh, what games could be set in those NOWADAYS!
They're not dead, there's conversion rules for pretty much everything previous AFAIK. They may not have "updated" campaign settings for Spelljammer, Planescape and Krynn but Faerun is the default setting and it shouldn't be too hard to backwards convert the older material from whatever era you want. Everything else isn't suddenly unusable just because a new edition is out.
I kept all my 2E material and converted the things to 3.5E when needed. I still have a lot of it and the stuff that is lost or has disintegrated over time I've got PDF's of now.
D&D is so not limited to what material is available for the current edition, unless you limit yourself.

dynath

Aug 2, 2013
Also many of the old modules and campaign books are being released digitally as well as the core books for older editions being kept in print. You have more access now to older edition content than you ever have in any other time period.

About the only thing not being produced is video games set in DnD settings other than faerun. And while I love the old isometric games we must admit that many other DnD licensed games weren't particularly good games or good at using their source material.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Rastrelly said:
They're not dead, there's conversion rules for pretty much everything previous AFAIK. They may not have "updated" campaign settings for Spelljammer, Planescape and Krynn but Faerun is the default setting and it shouldn't be too hard to backwards convert the older material from whatever era you want. Everything else isn't suddenly unusable just because a new edition is out.
I kept all my 2E material and converted the things to 3.5E when needed. I still have a lot of it and the stuff that is lost or has disintegrated over time I've got PDF's of now.
D&D is so not limited to what material is available for the current edition, unless you limit yourself.
Heh, I'm not a tabletop player, I just liked those settings, and shutting of those settings down for me means simply: no new books/games/whatever to stay in touch.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Rastrelly said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Rastrelly said:
Heh, I'm not a tabletop player, I just liked those settings, and shutting of those settings down for me means simply: no new books/games/whatever to stay in touch.
To be fair, the D&D CRPG niche has been lacking since NWN came out, sadly. Neverwinter MMO is fun, but the least like D&D game I've played since its based on 4E. I was looking forward to Sword Coast Legends but I'm unsure if it's going to hold up from early reports...
My favorite CRPG series though was the Krynn series. TDQK was the best of the SSI Gold Box series IMO.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
Huh... never knew a Dark Sun game(s) existed. I ran a 4e Dark Sun Campaign for a couple of years, that was sorta unceremoniously rushed to a confrontation with the Dragon of Tyr because we wanted to move to 5th (and also I was getting sick of having to pay monthly for the DnDInsider sub).

I tried adhering to the world as much as possible, but there were more dragons (because of all those sweet dragon minis) and around level 20 I gave the party a companion healer in the form of a cleric sun priest. Divine magic doesn't exist in Dark Sun, but the 3e source materials had "sun priests", basically clerics use elemental type "divinity" in Dark Sun.

It's a setting I loved, very unique, Elves are raiders, hobbits are cannibals, half-elves are ostracized for not belonging to either race and magic is reviled for destroying the world.

I also love how being "Lawful Good" means supporting the laws in place of the city states, such as slavery, so that was kinda lol to me (depending on the city state).

Anyways, those games look interesting, not sure if they're $9.99 interesting though. Maybe for half that I'd give it a try.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Randomvirus said:
Huh... never knew a Dark Sun game(s) existed. I ran a 4e Dark Sun Campaign for a couple of years, that was sorta unceremoniously rushed to a confrontation with the Dragon of Tyr because we wanted to move to 5th (and also I was getting sick of having to pay monthly for the DnDInsider sub).

I tried adhering to the world as much as possible, but there were more dragons (because of all those sweet dragon minis) and around level 20 I gave the party a companion healer in the form of a cleric sun priest. Divine magic doesn't exist in Dark Sun, but the 3e source materials had "sun priests", basically clerics use elemental type "divinity" in Dark Sun.

It's a setting I loved, very unique, Elves are raiders, hobbits are cannibals, half-elves are ostracized for not belonging to either race and magic is reviled for destroying the world.

I also love how being "Lawful Good" means supporting the laws in place of the city states, such as slavery, so that was kinda lol to me (depending on the city state).

Anyways, those games look interesting, not sure if they're $9.99 interesting though. Maybe for half that I'd give it a try.
The first game is awesome, the second... not so much. I recall it having lots of bugs and glitches. The first one one had an interesting exploit in it.
I did this with a Half Giant character with maximum strength, I took away his weapon so he relied on fists. When he started punching something, he would attack a dozen times or so. Where if he had a weapon, it'd only be once or twice. And due to his strength, he would kill most things very quickly.