GOG > Steam?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
The only issue with GoG is that the review system is rendered slightly useless. The only people that seem to get the game, then bother to review it, are those looking through the rose tinted goggles of nostalgia. So many have perfect scores, it's crazy!

Relevant:
To be fair though, you can find reviews dating years back in time for games that old, maybe even from the time it was originally released. So you can really just ignore the lacklustre reviews on the site, apart from going over them to see whether the re-release itself has any issues.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
fenrizz said:
I prefer Steam to be honest.
I have most my games there, and I'm not interested in having a second and a third client.
You don't need to use the client though. You can just sign in to the site and download the installer for any game you own and that's it. Install it and you can run it whenever and however you please. You really only need the client if you buy modern games that actually get patches or if you want to use it's friends list.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Charcharo said:
The community and light modding stuff of Steam still give it some pros.

GoG on the other hand... is almost entirely made up of gaming's classics.
Overhyped drivel cant compete. Simple mayflies.

Anyways I am annoyed it took Steam so long to finally kneel before EU law... the arrogance. But they did.
GoG gsmes are just as moddable if not more so than the ones from Steam, and the community is amazing. As for your next comment about only having classics, you clearly haven't been there for a couple of years.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I use GOG mostly I just prefer it with the optional client and DRM free nature of the place also I have had less problems with games from there than Steam.

I do use Steam on occasion i.e I really really want a game and that is the only place I can get it but usually if it is just on Steam and I am only mildly interested in it I will ignore it. I have never liked Steam as a service nor their policys, I also despise the stranglehold they have put on the PC market.

Almost all my PC gaming is from GOG titles or in independent Dev sites. I will never go through Steam unless I have to and if I do that is something that can change my buying decision of a game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
gog.com has been on top for a long time.

I will pay a five dollar difference to get a game on gog.com rather than Steam.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
LetalisK said:
GOG makes me sad. Every time I go there, I see Tie Fighter and X-Wing and thing "Ooo! I so want to play that again!"

Then I see the screenshots of poop and get very sad. Those games did not age well.
Bought TIE Fighter some time ago and I'm having an absolute blast. Try to look past the graphics, these games definitely deserve it. Besides, you quickly get used to them.

OT: Vastly prefer GOG, because if I buy something there I actually own it, instead of having it rented to me, as it is with Steam. This fact alone puts them miles ahead of Steam. Then there's the completely optional client, old games optimized so they actually *work* on new systems, not having to deal with some DRM bullshit... yeah, no contest for me.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I really didn't like Steam in the beginning which is why my Steam account shows a bunch of solid AAA titles that I haven't played. I used to only use Steam if forced and then only in offline mode because who cares about Steam Achievements?
But then it became so useful and Humble Bundles usually gave out Steam codes so I relented. (Also, like iTunes, it used to be a real resource hog on Start up, glad at least Steam and iTunes fixed that)

Now I once again don't really care for Steam and wish I had bought more games on GOG.

To me: Humble Store > GOG > Steam

It looks like I really like Steam but that's just because of the Humble Store.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
VladG said:
fenrizz said:
I prefer Steam to be honest.
I have most my games there, and I'm not interested in having a second and a third client.
That's one of the great things about GoG - client is 100% optional. It's only there to make updates and library management easier, but you don't need to have it running (or installed) to play anything.
This.

Ravenbom said:
To me: Humble Store > GOG > Steam

It looks like I really like Steam but that's just because of the Humble Store.
Never has a more accurate statement been uttered in the history of digital distribution services dedicated primarily to gaming.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I'm rather picky about my games, so I personally prefer Steam. I never have issues regarding Steam, and GOG's limited list of games rarely has something I want. I'm not a person to buy a ton of games I know I won't play just because they're $0.50 each.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Nuuu said:
GOG's limited list of games rarely has something I want.
I've seen this pop up a few times in this thread now and I just want to point out that, as others have already said, that is not really GOG's fault. Big names don't like GOG for their lax refund policies, lack of DRM, and relatively lower standing and familiarity compared to Steam. When the industry changes, that is, if it changes, we'll see more games on GOG. It's definitely exponentially WAY more than it used to be. That's for sure. If big developers/publishers can get behind Humble Bundle and it's split your money to charity, pay however you want method I'm sure they'll eventually get behind GOG.

Noobsaibot21

Apr 13, 2015
I don't find galaxy especially friendly myself in terms of adding friends etc... but I look forward to it being improved. I do like Steam due to big picture (I play with controller on HDTV) and I also like the screenshots feature. I simply add the GOG client as a non steam game so I get the best of both. Sadly, Origin is set up explicitly not to play nice with Steam which is annoying.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
jamail77 said:
votemarvel said:
If GoG had new releases, other than their own titles of course, I wouldn't look at the Steam store again.
Well, you're in luck my friend as there's a reason they don't call themselves Good Old Games any more. They've slowly been adding newer games to their list.

And, yes, the price difference thing is a nice plus as well.
I've actually rebought a couple of games on GoG because I wanted them DRM free (the two seasons of the Walking Dead game) and used the credit from when I bought the Witcher 3 to get a DRM free version of Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package.

While I would love it to happen I don't see them really having new releases, as someone else mentioned the publishers love their DRM, but I think I would be happy to wait a couple of years for them to hit GoG and get them DRM free.

albino boo said:
votemarvel said:
If GoG had new releases, other than their own titles of course, I wouldn't look at the Steam store again.

One of the things I like about GoG other than those you mentioned, is that if there is a regional price difference they will add that difference to your account as store credit.
Small but rather important point, GoG is inside the EU and its default price is VAT inclusive. So they are making money by converting into a non VAT currency a VAT inclusive price. Steams default price is without sales tax. I'm afraid it's gimmick that does not stand up to examination
A small but rather important point but Steam prices include VAT (at the standard 20%) here in the UK. The prices for the newer titles, like the aforementioned Walking Dead games and The Witcher 3, are pretty much a match.

So not only am I paying the same price for a DRM free game on GoG but they give me money back toward future purchases.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
votemarvel said:
So not only am I paying the same price for a DRM free game on GoG but they give me money back toward future purchases.
No they don't they are making a 20% greater margin on sales to US customers. The US price should be 20% lower than the UK price but isn't. Their claims about lack regional price differences fails to mention the difference in tax regimes, so GoG make additional profits by using VAT inclusive prices as their start point for currency conversion. GoG makes many claims that do not stand up to investigation. Their claim to be anti DRM is another. The witcher makes over 60% of its sales on steam with DRM, but if you use steamworks you can turn off DRM and yet CD Project does not. Not so anti drm after all

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm not in the US though, I am in the UK. By the way. The Witcher 3 is $59.99 USD on Steam and GoG, which is £38.47. So even with the 'markup' you are still paying less than people over here.

Not a surprise they make most of their sales on Steam because I know many people who have the mentality "if it's not on Steam then I'm not buying it". Valve seems to have indoctrinated many into seeing their service as the only option.

Quite agree that they should turn off the DRM on Steam if they have that option. Then again since I bought the Witcher 3 for the same price as it was on Steam, got store credit back, and had no DRM. I can't say I'm at all bothered by what they do on Steam.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
votemarvel said:
I'm not in the US though, I am in the UK. By the way. The Witcher 3 is $59.99 USD on Steam and GoG, which is £38.47. So even with the 'markup' you are still paying less than people over here.

Not a surprise they make most of their sales on Steam because I know many people who have the mentality "if it's not on Steam then I'm not buying it". Valve seems to have indoctrinated many into seeing their service as the only option.

Quite agree that they should turn off the DRM on Steam if they have that option. Then again since I bought the Witcher 3 for the same price as it was on Steam, got store credit back, and had no DRM. I can't say I'm at all bothered by what they do on Steam.
All I'm saying is that Gog are business and their claims to more "ethical" than anyone else isn't entirely true. I buy from Steam, GoG and Origin. Depending on what I want and what gives the best deal but GoG are no worse of better than any of the others. They are company whose number one priority is to make a profit.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
And on that I agree with you. However the point remains that GoG is to me the one providing the best service. That they want to make a profit is a hardly a surprise.

Like you I go where the best prices are.

Mar 8, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
MysticSlayer said:
I like GOG more than Steam. I'm not forced to use a client. I don't have to cross my fingers every time I try to play a singleplayer game offline in the hopes that the game I'm running works offline.
This... so much this! I am in the Military, and over the last 12 months I have spent over half my time abroad, and a good chunk of the remaining time away on courses and exercises. All of this time away has been spent with little to no internet, and my trusty laptop at my side...

Almost a year ago I downloaded FFVII and FFVIII in the hopes of some nostalgia beating RPG action on my downtime on ops. I even took the official guides out with me in the hopes of finally 100%-ing them. Could I play them? Could I fuck. I was so dissapointed, especially as the weight of the guides also limited what else I could have taken out with me.

Luckily I had Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights 2 and The Witcher from GOG to keep me going. Different type of games though... scratched a slightly different itch.

The only issue with GoG is that the review system is rendered slightly useless. The only people that seem to get the game, then bother to review it, are those looking through the rose tinted goggles of nostalgia. So many have perfect scores, it's crazy!

Relevant:
Your issues with FFVII and FFVIII might not be with Steam. I still have to log in to Squeenix's servers if I want to play on my computer. I wouldn't be surprised if Squeenix's DRM was the problem.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Personally, if I can possibly get a game on GOG, I will.

I like the lack of DRM, the customer service, and their very pro-consumer attitude in general. Plus, my internet connection is shit, so I like being able to store 20+ Gig installs locally. They're still a bit feature-light compared to Steam, which is not surprising considering the size and age of the site, but I have big hopes for their future, especially with the addition of Galaxy.

backintheussr1922 said:
If I have my facts straight, GOG is owned by CDProjectRed. That is a huge plus, so far.
GOG is owned by CD Projekt, which is a parent company that owns both GOG.com and CD Projekt Red. And I agree, that's a huge plus.