Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Personally i think Jonan Antonsson can stuff Gogogic up his ass and shuffle off if he thinks his opinion is remotely relevant. I'm personally offended that he feels the need to make such a ridiculous point.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
After searching through all of my reaction images, I decided this one works the best in my personal opinion. Why? Because that's just wrong. I rarely buy games for their multiplayer modes. I love a good single player game. The awesome stories, funny characters. It's all so amazing.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
soren7550 said:
Welp, he's delusional. Or just plain stupid, hard to tell sometimes.

Better go off and tell the folks at Bethesda and BioWare[footnote]Yes, I'm aware ME3 has multiplayer, but hush you.[/footnote] that their games are only gimmicky fads.
You forgot the abomanation known as TOR, though yes Bioware still is mainly single player.

This guy is talking out of his ass. If I had to choose which is more gimmicky I would actually say multiplayer. Also Games were created singleplayer. Plus all of my favorite games(minus WoW and me3's multiplayer(which sucked because of the way you get stuff)) are single player.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
He sort of has a point. Most games in the course of history were social experiences. However, calling a single player component a gimmick is going too far.

I guess it depends on the kind of experience you want. If you want something akin to an interactive novel, a great singleplayer campaign will scratch that itch. If you want something more like a traditional game, then a multiplayer focused game would be better. It's all what you prefer.

Mar 26, 2008
Single player - the most successfully "gimmick" in video game history.

I'm going to put this down to a poor choice of words on his behalf rather than outright incompetence. Either that or a mild brain aneurysm.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
ravenshrike said:
teh_gunslinger said:
soren7550 said:
Welp, he's delusional. Or just plain stupid, hard to tell sometimes.

Better go off and tell the folks at Bethesda and BioWare[footnote]Yes, I'm aware ME3 has multiplayer, but hush you.[/footnote] that their games are only gimmicky fads.
*cough* TOR *cough* Dragon Age Facebook game *cough* Mass Effect social games integration for war readiness *cough* Elder Scrolls Online *cough*
*cough* POST-EA ERA *cough*

As for the Icelandic Scandi, well, everyone knows people from Iceland are just fucking weird, even other Scandis.
Post EA it may be, but that's been the state of affairs for many years by now.

I was merely remarking on the fact that pointing to Bioware and Bethesda for single player developers is not the best of examples. Even Baldur's Gate had multi player. As did Neverwinter Nights. It was basically predicated on it. So really, Bioware was only a pure single player dev for a short time in the early 2000s.

If you want to point out some devs that do single player only and does well you could point to CD Projekt Red.

Jun 13, 2009
Surely inventing someone to talk to and play with as a toddler correlates more to playing a single player game than multiplayer? Multiplayer requires a minimum of 2 physical people, either in person or online, whereas single player games create the secondary characters for the player. The toddler's invented character and the game's characters are both fictional. His own argument for multiplayer theory shoots himself in the foot from the start.

Also the day that games stop having dedicated single player modes is the day I stop gaming. Even Assassin's Creed noticeable went downhill after they started spending dev time on multiplayer. On anything other than social networks and mobiles, games dedicated to multiplayer are the niche market. Not the other way around.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Covarr said:
I tend to prefer multiplayer games. Longtime favorites of mine include Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead 2, Draw Something... But don't tell me that Portal was gimmicky because it was single player. No, it was gimmicky because it had a portal gun (proving that gimmicks aren't inherently bad, as well).

P.S. Thanks
The portal gun was the central component of gameplay in portal, thus by definition it is not a gimmick. Gimmicks are peripherally relevant to gameplay. An example you might argue as such could be assassination moves in Halo: Reach (and Halo 4) because you could still get the same effect by just quickly tapping them on the back. Still good for humiliating enemies though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I could dissect his rambling down and prove that it's bullshit, but I'll just save you some time:

Jonan Antonsson is trolling you. Nothing more.

He states gaming started out as multiplayer, assumes this means it's inherently multiplayer, then states that we can go on making single player games anyway.

So what's the fucking point?

Oh right, he called single player games a "gimmick" because his company only makes multiplayer games, and "gimmick" in this context carries a negative connotation. He's just stirring the shit pot to make himself look smarter and more relevant than he actually is.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This is the kind of thinking that could ruin gaming if adopted by more people- which, thankfully, it probably won't. Just because games started with multiplayer in mind doesn't mean they were MEANT to always be multiplayer experiences.That's like saying colored movies are a gimmick because they started out in black and white. With changes in technology and time comes changes in the medium itself.

Yes, in the days of the arcade it was clearly more of a social thing, since you actually had to leave the house to play them and almost always had multiplayer, but that was before the home console market rose to great prominence. By that point, anyone could play games at any time, it didn't matter if you had friends over. Thus why single-player experiences became the focus, at least until online gaming came along. But just because we have that doesn't mean we should just write off the last 20-30 years and say "OKAY WE'RE DONE WITH THIS SHIT!"

If the day ever comes where I can't play something like Skyrim or Metroid Prime without some douchenugget sweeping in to verbally assault me and ruin the atmosphere, I'm putting away my controllers for good.

B5Alpha

Oct 4, 2012
Tomorrow's headline:

EA buys out Gogogic, staffs the former company's employees as Executive Producers of all their studios.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
DrOswald said:
Books are such a gimmick. The first stories were told in groups, but back when books were invented it was impossible to create a book that could tell its story to a group. Now that we have books on tape, written books will be irrelevant for anyone outside a very niche audience.
My exact first thought. If this guy really believes this, he's the biggest tool in the shed.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
I never heard of him, his company, or any of his games.

Not gonna let that change. What a.. something rude.