GOG's Catalog Losing 35 Games

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Without a doubt, GoG is the nicest digital distributor on the internet. No drm, you own your purchases forever, you can redownload them as many times as you need to, and even when they have to delist a title they let you have a last crack at it before it goes.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I'm glad they announced it ahead of time so people could check them out. Nothing on that list that particularly catches my eye, but good on them anyway.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Rosiv said:
I just bought Gothic 2 on sale for 2.49$, hoping it does not suck, because i read the combat is bad. Sad i didnt have enough money to buy more games.
The combat is *different*. If you're expecting Elder Scrolls combat (glorified FPS A.K.A Doom-with-an-axe), you're out of luck - it's slower and more measured, you have to block more (and you CAN'T block wild animals because they don't swing swords) and you'll be standing still and occasionally rolling instead of strafing all over the place. Gothic's combat isn't BAD, but it is much more restricting. If you can get past that, you're good to go.

Also be warned that time-sensitive quests are actually time-sensitive (Skyrim I'm looking at you - "next morning" my arse). If she says "You've got three days" then you've got three days, otherwise shit goes down.

As an added warning, armour is rare as hell - you will probably get 3-4 sets in any given playthrough, so you won't be tanking anyone until you've at least joined one of the three factions.

Gothic 2 follows directly on from Gothic, so you probably want to get that too. Easily worth the price right now, though the control scheme's a little more restrictive than Gothic 2 (a single mouse click never does anything, it's always click+direction, including in combat). It's a much smaller world than you'll find in Elder Scrolls but it's also more fleshed out and alive. There's a little bit of lore here and there but there's not like 600 books.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Holy moly, they had the Aquanox games? To the watery depths I go once again to relive my (gaming) adolescence!

OT: GOG is awesome, whoever forced them to do this is not and should feel bad. Enough said.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Max_imus said:
Holy moly, they had the Aquanox games? To the watery depths I go once again to relive my (gaming) adolescence!

OT: GOG is awesome, whoever forced them to do this is not and should feel bad. Enough said.
On the upside, you get to re-discover Aquanox :D

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Indeed. I just wish I'd seen it sooner. I'll free up an afternoon next week and browse GOG, my paycheck should come in soon anways.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
StewShearer said:
What's unclear right now is why the site is losing so many games at once.
Well, that's the easy part of the mystery. Nordic is pulling out, so they're losing all the games Nordic has rights to. 35 of them.

There's rumours about GOG's stance on regional pricing being responsible, but I don't think we'll get any solid details from the company - they might want to avoid Nordic's wrath in the hopes of getting the games back.

Rosiv said:
I just bought Gothic 2 on sale for 2.49$, hoping it does not suck, because i read the combat is bad. Sad i didnt have enough money to buy more games.
The problem with the edition sold at GOG is that it comes bundled with Night of the Raven expansion pack[footnote]I almost wrote "DLC"... What have you done to me, games industry?!![/footnote] and I think there's no option to disable it (aside from maybe faffing about in the ini files). Vanilla Gothic 2 is one of my favourite games ever, the expansion changes several important things including mechanics and is especially annoying in the early game... I don't know, it might be my nostalgia for vanilla, but I'd prefer it without the expansion.

Other than that though, it's a great game. The combat might occasionally get annoying because of poorly-designed controls, but overall, it's a long game with a lot of quests and a very well fleshed-out world. I'd recommend it anytime.

It's a good idea to invest in the first Gothic as well, now that it's on the -80% sale. Gothic 3 was a huge disappointment, the rest of the series is forgettable. Production is rough around the edges (the first game was made by a team with no previous experience), but the games ooze heart.

OT: As I said in another thread, GOG's slant towards indies is getting more and more visible, and a lot of the blame, I think, should go to the publishers. While I commend the guys for doing the best they can and holding onto their pro-customer policies, I don't like how the pubs have the power to crush them for their perceived slights.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I have mixed feeling about gog, in many ways I consider them superior to steam, like how you can install your games where you want, but their selection of games is rather poor, obviously they have a lot of old games but I don?t really like most old pc games, and besides for old games they have almost nothing.

I do hope that they don?t continue to lose games, steam really needs competitors even smaller ones like gog.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I bet this is related to their "Fair Price Package". These games may well be under pricing agreements with other retailers and the publishers aren't allowed to let gog underprice the competition.