Going back to Killzone 2

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
Going back to Killzone 2

Did Killzone 2?s hype obscure as much as it highlighted in the rush to make those important initial sales?

Read Full Article

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Funnily enough, I actually had a very similar experience with the same game, which I only picked up this year. Unlike a lot of shooters I've played recently, I got really involved with it, immersed to the point where I really wanted to win each gunfight, not just so I could reach the next level, but because they felt like real life or death engagements.

Its the kind of immersion and character/player/environment relationship that I usually only get from a really good RPG, and it was both odd and welcome to experience it in an action packed shooter.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats one thing I always hated...the big budget games, which get all the advertisements sometimes the most...boring over time.

Now a civilisation game! Hardly any advertisements, and the quality contained is immense!

asgardmothership

Jan 17, 2010
Yes I recently returned to Killzone 2 also, fabulous game, stylised in such a way as to for once, create a fabulously immersive world (to borrow from a gamespot review phrase). I would have to say, on topic though - Dead Space. I played it on release and loved it, one of my favourite of all time, then I left it... played other things and gradually forgot why I loved it. Then yesterday I returned to the Ishimura, for the first time in two years. F.E.A.R.? forget it. Silent Hill? don't be silly. Alan Wake? Ok, that did alright, but for sheer unadulterated video game terror - it's got to be Dead Space. That game is downright disturbing. The enemies don't just stand there looking spooky they come after your ass and then visibly try to chew it off. The Vaccum sections are unlike anything you'll ever see in a video game and though the characters are under developed, the mad crew cutting their own necks or shambling out of sight will give you the willies if anything will.

Alight, *breathes* if I suck up any more im going burst a blood vessel.

I need a lie down.....

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I love Killzone 2. I'm praying that Guerilla didn't listen to all the idiotic complaints that it's heaviness was a bad thing. If Killzone 3 feels light and twitchy like COD I may cry.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
"Jon found quite a different experience to that initially advertised for Killzone 2 - one concerned much more with the player's role and game's setting than impressive filmic cut scenes or multiplayer modes."
..so let me get this straight: the writer of the article (as well as the wrapper bulletin) initially was in love with Call of Duty and the "filmic" cut-scenes - and therefore hyping this for Killzone 2, as did anyone else who are privileged to get their trash in print around the internet. And now that he steps back from his own initial "experiences" and utterly inept descriptions of the game - now after it's been run over by the mentioned people the article writer would refer to as "us", as well as ruined by said COD fans - he discovers something else in the game.

Yes, I think a congratulations is order. Congratulations for this monumental discovery you make now. Because the site staff won't let me actually say what I mean without getting banned.

But hey, really, go ahead and take me to task. Cite the source of the "initial hype", if you will, in the usual form of snippets from press-releases and other reviews blown out of proportion - and then show me how utterly not part of the "hype" the writers of trash like this is themselves.

Go ahead, make me look like a fool for suggesting this is the most false and self-indulgent piece of tripe that has ever been pushed in the history of the internet.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
"With greater understanding of the unique controls..."

What is there to understand? They put "Weight" in the controls in as off-putting a way as possible. It was a genius maneuver that whipped the fanboys into a tizzy of defensive foam and improved awareness of the game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... the crappy controls were actually a good thing.

No... the controls were just awful. There is just no defending this. They made a lousy design decision, and that mistake completely flogged them with the non-fanboy crowd.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I wish I felt the same way as this writer. I simply could not get behind Killzone 2. Honestly, I never noticed the controls or the heavy factor. I was too busy going, "If this is an all-out planet assualt, where is everyone on my team?" Everyone remember the level where, after the bomb goes off, the survivors launch an all-out attack and as you're running down the street, dropships and being blown out of the sky and friendlies are everywhere? That was what I enjoyed. Massive gun battles where I'm not the only target. Instead, I get Rico yelling at me from behind his safe spot to "move it up, Sev!"

And I guess everyone has different opinions and tastes, because I thought Killzone's story, atmosphere, and characters were completely boring and dull.

A game that I enjoyed after all the hype was gone and I went and replayed it was Mass Effect.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
edgeofblade said:
"With greater understanding of the unique controls..."

What is there to understand? They put "Weight" in the controls in as off-putting a way as possible. It was a genius maneuver that whipped the fanboys into a tizzy of defensive foam and improved awareness of the game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... the crappy controls were actually a good thing.

No... the controls were just awful. There is just no defending this. They made a lousy design decision, and that mistake completely flogged them with the non-fanboy crowd.
As a person who laughed at Killzone 1's "attempt" (If you call it that) to be a Halo killer, I found Killzone 2 to be amazing in every aspect except the characters. (I hated my teammate) I really don't see what the problem was with the controls. Maybe it is just me but it felt similar to Halo or any number of the other shooters I have played. (Maybe I adapt quickly)

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I recently borrowed Modern Warfare 2 and played it for the first time.

I hoped for a somewhat immersive experience, but while the setpieces are spectacular and stressful, the game just feels too badly scripted and is just too much of a shooting gallery.

Hunting a suspect through the favelas of Rio is pretty cool...but it's not cool if this chase gets interrupted every 30 seconds by 5-10 enemies standing around in a row shooting at me.

And then there are the really scripted moments where i honestly ask myself why i can even control my character, because all i do is go down a straight line (since straying off that would kill me) and miss cool stuff because i look in the wrong direction.

I did not expect much but still i'm disappointed by MW 2

What has this to do with anything here you ask?
Easy. After playing MW2, i long for a experience like the one described in the article :/

Undead_David

Nov 27, 2009
Game People said:
Going back to Killzone 2

Did Killzone 2?s hype obscure as much as it highlighted in the rush to make those important initial sales?

Read Full Article
I recently went and played Jericho on steam, which was a game I simply avoided but thanks to steam's sale I got down on it. To be honest this game was more fun and engrossing than MW2, which was crap. The only good thing about MW2 is its graphics and a few decent levels but it the script was horrid with people randomly being arbitrary bad with secret mountain bases, I mean WTF whered the realism of the first one go? Jericho wasnt realistic and didnt pretend to be but it was nice to play a squad game where it didnt feel cumbersome and actually fun. YEah it has its flaws but being able to control anyone in your squad with unique skills and weapon sets without having to think too much about ammo and realized it had some very nice graphics especially its field of view focus effects as well as volumetric atmosphere and bloom. As for MW2, terrible gameplay with a storyline that was stupid, and anyone who says different has the brain worms. Now I am off to play Max Payne 2 where plot and gameplay meet without people turning out to be evil for some arbitrary unknown reason and lacks random blowhards who just happen to have a C-130 floating around at their disposal....hate MW2....