Going out on a Date

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
The one time I randomly asked a girl out for coffee she told me she'd gotten married at 17 to a 32 year old guy so she could escape from her abusive parents. She was living at her grandmother's while waiting for the divorce to come through.

If that wasn't enough of a warning sign, she ended our date early because her friend texted her and asked her to score some weed from a guy at the local tattoo parlour.

So be warned: you think this girl is great right now because you know the good things about her. Give it a few dates before you get too attached because there's a high probability there's a big bucket of crazy underneath her perfect videogaming, animeloving skin.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
The fact you've planned the date already
and both parties have acknowldged that it IS in fact a date
(providing that's the case)
then whatever happens while you're on it
you've basically already got her
unless something MINDBENDINGLY stupid is done or said

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well, just be yourself and see what happens. Remember, there's no point in pretending just to stay with someone you're incompatible with.

Apr 29, 2010
Well, I've never been on one myself, but I would imagine going to a movie would be a bad idea. Gives you no real chance to talk to her.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Dont go to a movie or someplace you cant talk. I would find some authentic bistro or some small but semi romantic place. Aswell, be prepered for something to do after. Go for a walk at a nice location is good. Use your imagination, but I cant stress this enough, do not do something where you cant communicate.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
I dunno, what do you think about keeping it short and sweet? Give her a reason to want to see you again, don't lay all your cards out during the first encounter.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Remember compliments are like currency cash enough and she will be happy. Cash too much and she feel burdened. Cash too little and she'll think you don't like her.

Edit: Oh and going to the movies isn't exactly a great date as you won't be able to talk and get comfortable with each other. Talking about movies is okay though. Also try to find out her interests and see if you have anything in common.

EditEdit: Also since you mentioned you looked at her facebook, remember to try and not say 'I looked at your facebook page and found...' cause she'll think your invading her privacy.

Sazzlysarah

Mar 24, 2010
Well, I'd start by making her feel comfortable, tell her she looks fantastic/ great/ stunning/ beautiful (pick most appropriate adjective) as a casual compliment, and ask her how her day was, or what she has been up to since you last saw her. Ask her questions about herself, you've done great already with looking at her facebook and getting an idea of what she likes. Now ask her yourself! When you're talking to her, try to make eye contact and smile (doesn't have to be toothy!), she'll feel interested in, and enjoy herself. Be honest when you talk to her, and if you feel like you've made a mistake, own up, and don't cover up! Apart from that, just be casual, and if expenses are involved, then don't forget to pay her share! It's gentlemanly gesture, and girls (well I) take notice when a guy pays and don't make a show of it. Coffee sounds like a nice, relaxed date, so keep the tone of the date fairly relaxed too, with the occasional complement so she knows you both enjoy her company and find her attractive. Go with the flow from there, depending on how coffee goes, you can arrange to meet up again, or do something else straight away, like going to a movie, or for a meal out. You could always take her to a show for a bit of "wow" factor if you guys hit it off from the start. A great place for a good laugh is the Comedy Store in London (there are others dotted around the place if you aren't English, or find your countries equivalent). Anyway, I'm sure you have plenty of ideas for now. Will you let us know how it goes? :)

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Coffee, you say?

OT: No advice beyond staying true to your person. Don't act like someone you aren't.

Serperoth

Sep 9, 2009
Be nice, polite. A proper gentleman. That's all the tip I can give sadly (not quite an excellent dater)

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
Novskij said:
superbatranger said:
Well, I've never been on one myself, but I would imagine going to a movie would be a bad idea. Gives you no real chance to talk to her.
Unless you go to eat afterwards which means you have a movie to talk about.
Or if you know her well enough that you won't be occupied with the movie. If ya know what I mean.

Apr 28, 2008
Just try not to force anything. Let it flow natural, just try to get to know her and all that jazz.

Also this:

SimuLord said:
Dating is not a one size fits all proposition. Getting the date is more than half the battle. Be natural, let the date flow, be yourself. Have something in mind for if things are going well (a walk in the park, something else to do besides sit in the coffee shop for hours...or maybe, hell, just sitting in the coffee shop for hours!) And be ready to bail if she turns out to be a psycho ***** from hell.
Especially the last part.

Always plan for the last part. It will serve you well.