Gold Bugged

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Hitchmeister said:
hentropy said:
I think the love for Silver Linings Playbook is mostly a misguided attempt at trying to become relevant to younger audiences who didn't see/care about any of the other historical movies. It won't win anything big.
Did those audiences care anything about THAT movie?
That's what i'm wondering. I hadn't even heard of this movie until nominations.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
I somewhat agree with the choices that the Academy made this year, especially towards Lincoln. But, as Movie Bob put it in the article, that there is a lack of The Hobbit, Dark Knight Rises, or the Avengers. I REALLY would have liked to see both Nolan and Jackson for the nominations for director. As for Joss Whedon, it's a GOD DAMN SHAME that he's not getting any love for director or screenplay. He should have been at least considered for one of those categories with how well he made the Avengers. Maybe this is the geek in me that I love his works (with HEAVY emphasis towards Firefly and Serenity which is my favorite film). I just hope that within my lifetime that the Academy would stop looking down upon box office summer films (and not just for supporting actors for Heath Ledger).

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I find the lack of Cloud Atlas really, really sad.
I was checking a ballot [http://oscars.nytimes.com/2013/ballot?&ref=arts] and I was shocked that there wasn't even a nomination for best make up (there's only three choices where every other category has five).

That said, much like Zero Dark Thirty, the Academy appears to want to avoid controversy if it can. Cloud Atlas was a "love it or hate it" film with a lot of concerns over the casting in terms of race. Giving them a nod in the form of a nomination, especially for make-up, would likely set a very negative precedent for future movie makers ("hey, you don't need minority actors, just good ones you can make-up into minorities, and you may even snag a pity Oscar for your troubles"). The lack of a Oscar nomination for that film is not too surprising for me upon further reflection.

Looking at the other non-headline nominations, best animated feature is still a Disney versus everybody else (3/5 nominations are Disney movies), although it's still a fairly good your if you don't count The Pirates! Band of Misfits (yet to see it after I felt a little burned by Flushed away [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424095/?ref_=sr_1] and simply hadn't had time). Amour will almost certainly get foreign language film. Hobbit and Avengers pop up in Visual Effects (no surprise there and the new high-speed projection is what will make that an contest instead of a Hobbit throwaway), while Skyfall got nods for Original Score, Original Song, and Cinematography. Ted got a nod for best song as well.

My big surprise was both Snow White movies (Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman) competing against each other in Costume Design (only to loose to either Anna Karenina, Les Miserables, or, my bet, Lincoln).

So it appears that this year will be a Lincoln coronation ceremony with the most nominations and the least competition. Not that it's undeserving of the awards, but I don't expect there will be any surprises when I open the paper the next day.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
What has always frustrated me is the release schedule of Oscar films. In Bob's review of Gangster Squad (which is out in the UK) he mentions it being a film in a dry spell of January. In the UK and what can I assume as being the rest of Europe to however is that most of these films are coming out only right now or soon enough. I think it must make some films more marketable in Europe with "AWARDS" all over the trailers and posters. The only major award film I am 100% set on seeing is Lincoln. Other than that there's Wreck-it-Ralph in FEBRUARY!? *sigh* Nevermind...

...also I liked Silver Linings Playbook. Awards worthy? Not really although since I don't care about the Oscars I kind of want to see it win big now just to see Bob's reaction.

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
Sixcess said:
I can't shake the ugly suspicion that this is at least part of why Cloud Atlas has been so thoroughly snubbed. Oh, the Wachowskis have enough clout in Hollywood that noone in the business is going to say it to her face, but I'm sure there there are some amongst the older and/or more conservative elements of the Academy who don't want to give 'that sort of person' the recognition of even a nomination.
Very much exactly my first thought, too.

Bob probably should've reviewed Silver Linings Playbook since, now that it's nominated, it's the first time I ever heard of it.

Overall, the academy shows once more that you don't have to or simply cannot take their awards seriously any more.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
rayen020 said:
No cloud Atlas, No avengers, No Hobbit, No Dark knight... I'm wondering since the Academy keeps not inducting young people if it will eventually just die out? Are they all old or are the younger voters not picking good Blockbusters because "they're not suppose to"?
If you're referring to Dark Knight Rises, then there should be no surprise there. It's a good movie to watch with rose-tinted glasses and definitely above average for the target audience, but I can't think of a single award it even deserved to be nominated with.

As I noted above, both Avengers and the Hobbit got a nod in visual effects (alongside Prometheus) and Hobbit likely got nudged out of the Best Adapted Screenplay due to a large competition and not being as good as the original trilogy. It did, however, get nods for make-up (which it'll probably take home if the Academy doesn't feel like tossing a pity Oscar to Hitchcock) and production design (probably going to go to Lincoln).

MaxwellMouse

Jun 7, 2010
I don't end up seeing many movies the year they are released, but you know what movie I really liked that was not nominated for anything? Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I learned a long time ago that The Academy (I'd take out the capitals if I could) no longer represented my tastes when they largely snubbed The Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers only to completely capitalize on the titanic zeitgeist of Return of the King to lavish it in praise. It seemed a bit uneven.

It was as though they said "Ok, first movie down... you did fine, we'll reward you a little, now keep it up and you'll get a bigger treat at the end. Ok, two movies down... you did well enough I suppose, but we're not going to acknowledge it because we want our cold disdain to make you desperate to do better. Ok, last movie is down... apparently, everyone though you did so well I guess it's only fitting to reward you. We don't want you think we ourselves are rewarding you, but everyone would make a scene if we didn't make it look like we're proud of you. Here's a slew of awards; a few are even top awards but there's no top actor nominations. We don't want you to get too haughty and we still want you to try harder on your next trilogy." It was the cold and stern parent of many of our childhoods that occasionally would deign to show their love for us or show us they were proud if only because the other parent was giving them a look: the "A- isn't good enough" households.

So yeah, I don't really invest too much in what the Academy says any more. They like to give praise if they think everyone is watching or that they should be watching. I'm tempted to say it is a home to a lot of "old people". There's nothing wrong with older people so long as they don't act like cliches or stereotypes. Unfortunately the seem to be timorous, unimaginative and ruled by groupthink. Sometimes they get it right, despite their best efforts, but mostly they follow predictable patterns. There's too much old guard and not enough new blood; too much imitation not enough innovation. Other buzzwords.

Bottom line, we all know what films would win our own personal Oscars so who cares what anyone else thinks.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
PunkRex said:
RJ Dalton said:
Just another reason for me not to give a shit about the Academy Awards.

I think I may have said the same thing last year, too.
Did you have the same avatar last year? Because I think I remember you saying that...
This has always been my avatar, so probably.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
hentropy said:
In film school we were taught that things like makeup should be unnoticeable/realistic/believable looking if they're meant to be human. Did anyone with makeup on in Cloud Atlas look like it could actually be a human being? There's you answer. It should have been snubbed and it was snubbed.
Agreed. It looked ridiculous and was actually kind of distracting.

OT: I actually agree with a lot of their nominations. There are a large number of movies that I haven`t seen up there but for the most part, I like their choices. The only one I don`t really agree with being up there in any of the major categories is Life of Pi. I`m with Bob that the message was pretty much shouted at the audience (not to mention that I don`t even agree with the message). But hey, when is anyone ever going to agree with EVERY nomination?

I do agree with Christopher Waltz being nominated over the other supporting characters in Django. Dicaprio was amazing and really stole the scenes that he was in (except for the end on between him and Waltz. There they were pretty much equal I thoughy) but he was only in about a quarter of the movie. Jackson was hilariously amazing too but again, he was barely in the movie. Waltz on the other hand probably had the most lines (even more than the main character) and was fantastic throughout the whole film. In my mind, he was more of a main character than Django until near the end. Also, winning an Oscar recently shouldn`t mean that you get exempted from the ones in the near future...

As far as best picture goes, I am hoping for Django. One of the few years where my favourite movie of the year is actually nominated for best picture (although my second favourite: Skyfall, wasn`t nominated but oh well). I`m betting that Lincoln will win though and that`s okay because the movie was great and Day-lewis was phenomenal as usual. Not as good as he was in There Will Be Blood but that was the best acting I`ve ever seen so it`d be pretty hard to top it. I`ll be pissed if Bradley Cooper wins...

I`m hoping that Brave doesn`t win best animated film. I love Pixar but this is their worst movie IMO. It was just mediocre. Still, I can't say I liked the others in the category much more so I guess I'll understand if it wins.

Also, even though this is a pretty minor category, I feel like I need to say that Django had brilliant sound editing and should definitely win that category.

Overall, I`m actually pretty happy with the Oscars this year. I know a lot of people are upset about Bigelow`s snub but I haven`t seen Zero Dark Thirty so I can`t really comment. I will say this though, I didn`t think The Hurtlocker was all that amazing. It was good and tense but I didn`t think it was even close to best picture (no I didn`t think Avatar was either) so going off of that, I`ll just say that maybe her snub has more to do with the actual quality of the film rather than the controversy (probably a bit of both).

Edit: Why is everyone so butthurt over Cloud Atlas? It's one movie that other people had a different opinion of than you. I completely agree with it being absent but if it was up there I wouldn't be whining. People have opinions, if yours don't align, it's not the end of the world and it doesn't mean the other people's opinions are bad. I swear people on these forums are so quick to remember this on most things but award shows are probably the one area where they forget.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
Sixcess said:
MovieBob said:
Still, not only would I say a nomination would be utterly deserved, it would've been of tremendous historical note as Lana Wachowski would've become the first transgendered Oscar nominee.
I can't shake the ugly suspicion that this is at least part of why Cloud Atlas has been so thoroughly snubbed. Oh, the Wachowskis have enough clout in Hollywood that noone in the business is going to say it to her face, but I'm sure there there are some amongst the older and/or more conservative elements of the Academy who don't want to give 'that sort of person' the recognition of even a nomination.
This makes me sad. I don't want to believe it's true, but the hugely cynical part of me knows that there's a ring of truth to this.

crazy_coug99 said:
I somewhat agree with the choices that the Academy made this year, especially towards Lincoln. But, as Movie Bob put it in the article, that there is a lack of The Hobbit, Dark Knight Rises, or the Avengers. I REALLY would have liked to see both Nolan and Jackson for the nominations for director. As for Joss Whedon, it's a GOD DAMN SHAME that he's not getting any love for director or screenplay. He should have been at least considered for one of those categories with how well he made the Avengers. Maybe this is the geek in me that I love his works (with HEAVY emphasis towards Firefly and Serenity which is my favorite film). I just hope that within my lifetime that the Academy would stop looking down upon box office summer films (and not just for supporting actors for Heath Ledger).
Having seen all three movies, there is not a single thing that surprises me about any lack of nods. Nolan wasn't going to get nods for creating a loud action movie (which wasn't THAT great, and I'll even cop to liking that damn movie).

The Hobbit just...wasn't that good. It was pretty, but it was long and tedious, and frankly, at many points in the film, silly (seriously, every melee ends up with everyone not only living but practically tethered together the whole time?).

The Avengers was about putting all your action figures in your dream battle and going "Pow! Pow! Pow! Hulk SMAAAAASH!" all afternoon. And THAT is supposed to get Academy love for writing? And the directing isn't anything we haven't seen in tons of other superhero movies.

I mean, I'd like to see "comic book" movies get better (in the Nolan sense of distilling characters down to what they are rather than slavish attention to detail from the original texts). But I'm not going to fault the Academy for snobbery on this front. There isn't anything unique or innovative going on there. And no, I don't consider tying a bunch of movies together - extremely loosely, I might add - "innovative".

The Gentleman said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I find the lack of Cloud Atlas really, really sad.
I was checking a ballot [http://oscars.nytimes.com/2013/ballot?&ref=arts] and I was shocked that there wasn't even a nomination for best make up (there's only three choices where every other category has five).

That said, much like Zero Dark Thirty, the Academy appears to want to avoid controversy if it can. Cloud Atlas was a "love it or hate it" film with a lot of concerns over the casting in terms of race. Giving them a nod in the form of a nomination, especially for make-up, would likely set a very negative precedent for future movie makers ("hey, you don't need minority actors, just good ones you can make-up into minorities, and you may even snag a pity Oscar for your troubles"). The lack of a Oscar nomination for that film is not too surprising for me upon further reflection.

[snip]

So it appears that this year will be a Lincoln coronation ceremony with the most nominations and the least competition. Not that it's undeserving of the awards, but I don't expect there will be any surprises when I open the paper the next day.
As much as Hollywood thinks it's soooooo far to the left, it's surprisingly conservative, and scared of pissing people off. Which applies to both ZDT and CA.

And I've got two words about Lincoln: Oscar Bait.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I guess there's something satisfying that immediately upon watching Argo I knew it was going to get snubbed in spite of turning out to be my favorite movie last year, but yeah...Was not ready for Silver Linings Playbook to be considered anything but garbage. Then again, I exactly didn't go see it because it involves Christianity, dancing and a sheet of character traits that authors masturbate to every night with a pair of boobs stapled to it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Daria.Morgendorffer said:
And I've got two words about Lincoln: Oscar Bait.
It's extremely well acted and portrays Lincoln in a way that is not very common. Yes it shows him as a person with good ideals but the way he goes about fulfilling them in the film is actually kind of monstrous. So no, staining the character (in the movie at least, I have no idea if the stuff that happened is actually true) of one of America's most beloved people is not Oscar bait.

I usually try to refrain from these kinds of comments but have you actually seen the movie?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I am positively shocked that they did not give Michael Sheen a nom for Twilight!

Seriously though, the noms this year are just sterile and boring. There's nothing like a nom for TDKR that would at least put SOME tension in the air as the last time the Academy snubbed a superhero film they were damn near CRUCIFIED. And there's also the exclusion of Looper. Just another boring year for a bunch of old men that are 30 years behind the times.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Stabby Joe said:
...also I liked Silver Linings Playbook. Awards worthy? Not really although since I don't care about the Oscars I kind of want to see it win big now just to see Bob's reaction.
Is today "Spite MovieBob Day"?

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Daria.Morgendorffer said:
The Avengers was about putting all your action figures in your dream battle and going "Pow! Pow! Pow! Hulk SMAAAAASH!" all afternoon.
I see nothing wrong with that :)

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
hentropy said:
I`m hoping that Brave doesn`t win best animated film. I love Pixar but this is their worst movie IMO. It was just mediocre. Still, I can't say I liked the others in the category much more so I guess I'll understand if it wins.
*cough* Cars 2 *cough*

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
uneek said:
RedDeadFred said:
hentropy said:
*cough* Cars 2 *cough*
Oh wait... you're right. I guess I banished that movie from my mind.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
In what universe is Zero Dark Thirty going to be studied by film students? Boal and Bigelow's Hurt Locker was essentially one long set up for a minor punch line. But it was entertaining and exciting, so people bought into it. ZD30 though is just boring with a far blander protagonist. And yes, I know, she's supposed to not have a personality (Because the manhunt has consumed her sooo much you see!). But I say this over and over again. Just because something is supposed to be shit, doesn't make it not shit.

"No, you don't get it. It's supposed to be corny and stupid. It's a commentary." Well then, they should've showed me how much better they can do it over the corny and stupid.