Gold Dupe Bug Forces Diablo 3 Auction House Offline

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gold Dupe Bug Forces Diablo 3 Auction House Offline

A bug in the latest Diablo 3 patch has reportedly left many players with billions of gold, but Blizzard says a rollback isn't going to happen.

The Diablo 3 1.0.8 patch that went live yesterday introduced an economy-breaking gold duplication bug that allowed many users, according to a Battle.net forum post [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8769238195], to acquire billions of illegitimate gold; one particularly industrious player apparently racked up 371 trillion. Those numbers are unconfirmed but the bug is definitely real, and Blizzard has taken both the gold and real money auction houses offline as a result.

"After the release of Patch 1.0.8 this morning, we found that some players were exploiting a bug that enabled them to duplicate gold through the Auction House," Diablo 3 Community Manager Lylirra explained. "We're working on fixing the bug right now, and bringing the Auction Houses offline helps us troubleshoot in a more stable environment while preventing further exploiting."

Blizzard has since come up with a fix and is now in the process of testing it, and has also announced that despite calls for it from many players, the servers will not be rolled back. "We've been able to successfully identify players who duplicated gold by using this specific bug, and are focusing on these accounts to make corrections. While this is a time-consuming and very detailed process, we believe it's the most appropriate choice given the circumstances," she wrote. "We know that some of you may disagree, but we feel that performing a full roll back would impact the community in an even greater way, as it would require significant downtime as well as revert the progress legitimate players have made since patch 1.0.8 was released this morning."

The fate of those who took advantage of the bug remains unclear; Blizzard said in its initial announcement of the auction house shutdown that it has begun the process of "reviewing the accounts involved and taking appropriate actions, including temporary locks, suspensions, and/or bans."

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770118014]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
We cant let them roll on their fake money after all.

Im not totally sure of how the auction house works and all but does the fact that some guys no longer have to grind for gold mean that it breaks the whole system?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Does this mean the bad players are going to have to go find something else to blame their lack of basic spatial awareness on?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Hold it I think everyone is missing the real news here....... People are still playing that turd?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Um... Blizzard, why would you ban players for taking advantage of your screw up? Oh yeah, and also does it really break the game that they now have a huge fuck tonne of fake money? And if so, who does it break the game for? Well them obviously.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
josemlopes said:
We cant let them roll on their fake money after all.

Im not totally sure of how the auction house works and all but does the fact that some guys no longer have to grind for gold mean that it breaks the whole system?
Because if you have 371 trillion dollars, would you really care if paid a million dollars for a 1 dollar Snickers bar?

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
BigTuk said:
Gold would rapidly drop in value and as a side effect all currencies that are wholey or partially weighted by the precious metal (like say the US dollar)
Sorry pal, Nixon took the US$ off the gold standard in 71, its a fiat currency along with other other currency that was underwritten by the dollar at the time. As for the rest, your pretty much on the mark :p

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Super Not Cosmo said:
Man way back when I used to dupe items in Final Fantasy 2 all the time on the SNES. Hell I remember when these sorts of things were considered cool and there used to be entire sections of gaming magazines dedicated to them.
sorry, can't hear you, I'm too busy stealing an old man's name and swimming along the side of this island until eldritch horrors appear and give me 1024 of whatever is in my 8th inventory slot :p

I miss MissingNo, although he did turn my pokemon blue cartridge into the source of ALL the glitches on earth (seriously, even the relevant data is garbage data now, the whole cart is a goddamned mess that even restarting the game won't fix) :p

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The saga of the Diablo 3 auction house continues! It's almost like a soap opera character, causing trouble and mayhem but never going away. Next week it will get amnesia and father an illegitimate child with Sim City.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
haha awesome it means stuff on the auction house will no long be affordable and people will actually have to play the game to get better. :p

Assuming it works like a real economy and this influx of gold creates a rampant inflation event.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
You have to wonder about the QA practices of something in which a loophole can be found and thoroughly exploited within a day of release.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
The saga of the Diablo 3 auction house continues! It's almost like a soap opera character, causing trouble and mayhem but never going away. Next week it will get amnesia and father an illegitimate child with Sim City.
This is more a saga of the douchey than the saga of the AH.

I'm fully expectin bans for the more blatant offenders. Its been said time and time again. If you find a bug, test it a couple times to make sure its repeatable. If you can, report it and move on. If it isn't, still report it, but mention that you couldn't get it to happen more than once.

If you continually use a bug to your advantage, dont report the bug, and then go so far as to brag about it someplace I hope you get banhammered so hard you aren't allowed into any multiplayer games ever again.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Awesome, just awesome. I so hope to see this news story on here someday.

I never picked up Diablo 3. I loved #2, but being in the military without a consistent internet connection and limited time to play games = no D3. Perhaps someday, when it's in a used bargain bin at one of the game stores... (remember those days of PC gaming?)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
haha awesome it means stuff on the auction house will no long be affordable and people will actually have to play the game to get better. :p

Assuming it works like a real economy and this influx of gold creates a rampant inflation event.
It should.
Infinite Supply + Finite Demand = Exponential Inflation.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I'm sure most if not all of the people smart enough to figure out the dupe (since it wasn't widely spread around) were also smart enough not to use it on their primary account, and just transfered it to other accounts. While Blizzard could go back and monitor which characters/accounts entered games with them, the obvious answer to a situation where trillions of gold was able to be made, is to simply roll back the servers a few hours. If 1000 players found the dupe and gave out money to just 20 different friends etc, that is 20k different accounts blizzard is going to have to review. By the time they do that, those 20,000 accounts could easily have given money to others etc.

I stopped playing this game 2 weeks after it came out, and haven't looked back yet. Path of Exile, and later Torchlight 2 both were far more enjoyable to me. I am really amazed there are so many people still playing D3 after all this time.