Gold Farmer Sells Virtual Gold to Buy Real Gold, Has it Stolen

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Teoes said:
luvd1 said:
So where are the police in this matter? Gold has been stolen, the ex is involed. Sounds like a simple case to me.
The link says that the case is continuing in court. The theft of the gold occurred in 2008.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if the gold was worth $75,000 in 2008, it's likely not worth as much today as gold prices took a dive within the last few years.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
I'm expecting an update on this when the case is over. Seems to me like the insurance company is completely baseless in their claims. They refuse to do their job that they have been paid for for because of what? It's too much money? It could have been an insurance fraud even though they have absolutely no basis for such a claim? And they even have the fucking audacity to file a counter-claim. I am speechless.

God damn it, I just hope she recovers the full amount. And the litigation costs.
The case has been going on since 2011, if it was open an shut as you seem to think the case wouldn't have lasted so long.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So she didn't trust a bank enough to keep her money, but she did trust an insurance company? That's just weird. Are there any benefits to keeping it at home?

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
While I don't like currency sales, I think losing your fucking house in a lawsuit over something you didn't do sucks massive ass, I mean, if Blizzard stopped her from selling and she didn't lose anything, okay whatever, but it sounds like her life collapsed because of this.

That boyfriend sounds like an asshole.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
kailus13 said:
So she didn't trust a bank enough to keep her money, but she did trust an insurance company? That's just weird. Are there any benefits to keeping it at home?
If a bank fails, she'd still have the gold, I don't think she was planning to have it all stolen.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
What the fuck. Sold out for 500$? What the hell was in this kid exactly that was worth dating? Not math apparently. And it seems AAMI are fucktards too. This is all just ridiculous. Pay the ma'am the money she paid you to cover. That's what insurance does right? Not lure them in and sue them with anything they can get, right? I feel like the name of the BF needs to be publicized so he's shamed and ridiculed for this mess. Maybe guilt into saying words as well to just make this shit go faster.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
This insurance company sounds a bit dodgy to me. I don't see how they can claim insurance fraud - that which is a crime - as a cause to not pay when the crime itself has not even been proven.

Then again, buying $75,000 worth of gold is something you do for an investment that really isn't that valuable to you. If this is supposed to be her life savings it should be in a savings plan, not in a safe in her house.

I hope the insurance company is just stalling until the police and courts have taken care of the theft itself. Once that is done they pay out should occur.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
BanicRhys said:
Serves her right.

Person profits off of selfishly screwing with a game's economy and breaking the contract she agreed to when she signed up.
Person has it all stolen (I wouldn't be surprised if she was getting that gold by hacking others' accounts).
You need to take a minute, look out the window and seriously think about what you believe in terms of justice and fairness.

She's had her life utterly shattered from being betrayed by the people she should have trusted the most - boyfriend and insurance company - and now has to fight to get her life back.

That's not fucking worth 'screwing with a game's economy'. And I'm a long-term WoW player, so I'm fully aware of the implications of her actions.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Could someone explain in layman's terms what makes gold farming such a terrible act in the first place? As far as I know, having not played WoW, it sounds like someone playing the game and using the in-game economy that is there as it was meant to be used, although to an unusual extent.

Other than that, yeah, my sympathies, fuck that guy and fuck the insurance company.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
What a fucking ****. It's no wonder women don't trust men. And don't get me started on scumbag insurance companies. On what basis were they willing to file a lawsuit on her? Their company exists to aid people in this exact fucking situation. It's despicable that insurance companies get away with taking our money but don't damn well pay close to all of it back when we need it the most.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Should've invested in a better safe, and a better boyfriend.
Are you saying it's a case of better safe than sorry?[footnote]Ok, you stick to the puns. They're harder than I thought.[/footnote]

On topic I used to do statistics for a huge American insurance company, I noticed that of the claims coming in, approximately half were refused. I don't know the circumstances of why they were refused, we just got the raw numbers, but on a daily basis around 50% of all claims were refused. That always made me think.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Could someone explain in layman's terms what makes gold farming such a terrible act in the first place? As far as I know, having not played WoW, it sounds like someone playing the game and using the in-game economy that is there as it was meant to be used, although to an unusual extent.

Other than that, yeah, my sympathies, fuck that guy and fuck the insurance company.

Under normal circumstances, you just can't play the game and have enough gold to sell for $75,000

1. Most likely she used glider bots. Computer program that farms an area of the game without actually having a person there.
(If not, she could have hacked accounts and stolen the gold.)

The more gold that is in an economy, the higher the priced items become because of inflation. When people can't afford items, they tend to stop playing the game.

2. Blizzard strictly forbids selling any item in World of Warcraft for real currency, with the exception of Blizzard's store and Trading Card Game codes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, I'm confused? Apparently the act of gold farming is a ok if the practice itself is legal (moral issue)?

Yes, say whatever you want but last time I've check it is still illegal in other parts of the world and WOW itself doesn't approved of it?

I probably said more then I should since it look like this topic is on thin ice already.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The moral of the story: it's still a bad idea to hook up with people who you've met online. :3

Oh, and DON'T KEEP $75K WORTH OF GOLD IN YOUR FRICKIN' HOUSE!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Karadalis said:
500 dollars for gold worth 75.000 dollars...

Not only was her boyfriend a scumbag steve... he also sucked hardcore at math...
Or you know, he got $500 for nothing without commiting a crime, which is a pretty good deal.

Although I'd imagine they could charge him with something, perhaps charge him as an accomplice if that'll actually stick. Or if there's some more specifical law related to information brokering leading to a crime, do that.

In any case, unless/until he actually is charged and found guilty of something, a fairly good deal. Definitely could have asked for more though...

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I could kind of see it if maybe he was her ex and the whole thing had ended up a bit nasty; but it even says he was her boyfriend at the time. Goddamn, what a worthless shitbag! That's one of the most wretched betrayals I've ever heard of.

And having to deal with insurance businesses (at all) was the principle reason I've never driven. Those sharks are basically in a business of being fed people's money for nothing.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Katrina Fincham made over $75,000 farming gold in World of Warcraft, which she ironically converted into bars of gold bullion.
How is that ironic? It's surprisingly appropriate.

That a writer and an editor don't know the meaning of the word ironic, is ironic.

OT: Somehow I don't think those two will be getting back together.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Insurance companies are not much better than criminals themselves if you really think about it.