Gold: The Web Series That Does Double Damage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gold: The Web Series That Does Double Damage

A new web-based video series telling the tale of a professional table-top RPG team has debuted, and it's funny because it's oh-so-painfully true.

Based around six old-school PnP gamers (although one is apparently just the equipment manager), Gold will follow the exploits of a American Goblins and Gold team as they prepare to compete in the World G&G Championship and take on their arch-nemesis, the British team. The premiere is actually a prologue, set two years ago at the team captain's appropriately geeky bachelor party: An all-night G&G session. But is his bride-to-be really as indulgent of his world-beating aspirations as he lets on?

The dialog, production values and acting are all top-notch, and it's no surprise that most of the actors in the series have considerable real-life gaming experience to draw upon. "Almost all of us are big comic book and sci-fi geeks as well," series creator David Nett, who plays team captain Jonathan Drake, said in a recent interview [http://news.tubefilter.tv/2008/10/15/gold-rolls-dice-looking-to-score-with-rpg-gamers/]. "Gaming runs through the blood of our cast and production staff." The truth of that statement is borne out by the fact that if you have any sort of tabletop gaming experience at all, you'll see yourself - and your fellow gamers - reflected in one of these characters. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm Tim: Hesitant about the rules and prone to bad judgment.

To learn more about Gold, "The web series that does double damage," check out goldtheseries.com [http://www.goblinsandgold.com/csp/gold/]. New episodes will be posted monthly.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I just watched it. It's like...a really geeky version of 'The Office'.

I like it.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Goodness, a month between 6 minute episodes? It takes less time than that for an episode of Unforgotten Realms, and that seems to be a one man show. Oh well. I liked it, but I probably won't be able to remember that its around at such a slow update pace.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
Goodness, a month between 6 minute episodes? It takes less time than that for an episode of Unforgotten Realms, and that seems to be a one man show. Oh well. I liked it, but I probably won't be able to remember that its around at such a slow update pace.
Does seem like a while. But given the time it takes to do pre-production, film & post (well) when everything appears to be done 'voluntarily' & on shoestring funds, its not surprising or unusual. Just look how long Pure Pwnage episodes take. Flash animation is alot quicker & easier to do by comparison; & De-Rez is just Chris Slack, a handheld camera & home editing software so thats no comparison either (& that takes 2weeks an episode :))

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Baby Tea said:
I just watched it. It's like...a really geeky version of 'The Office'.
This

This is one of the best pieces of subtle comedy I've seen on the web. Can't wait to the next episode.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Reminds me a lot of Gamers: The Movie [http://buygamers.com/], which is a good thing. I like what I've seen so far quite a bit.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
If you're worried about catching the episodes, just sign up for the email alerts, that's what I did.

ardeutsch

Nov 25, 2008
Thanks everyone for watching the first episode of "Gold"!!

The series really has taken us about a year to put together and we totally understand that a monthly release schedule is "slow" when it comes to the web. Mostly its about doing it right rather than doing it quickly. We love what we do and have great respect for the source material, so its only right for us to put up the best quality that we can muster. But if you do as Klutz has done and sign up for the email updates, you'll find that we are very diligent in our communication and will keep you up to date on anything concerning the series.

Stay tuned for the next episode dropping Dec.19th.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
ardeutsch said:
Thanks everyone for watching the first episode of "Gold"!!

The series really has taken us about a year to put together and we totally understand that a monthly release schedule is "slow" when it comes to the web. Mostly its about doing it right rather than doing it quickly. We love what we do and have great respect for the source material, so its only right for us to put up the best quality that we can muster. But if you do as Klutz has done and sign up for the email updates, you'll find that we are very diligent in our communication and will keep you up to date on anything concerning the series.

Stay tuned for the next episode dropping Dec.19th.
Well, I'm glad you're going for quality rather than quantity. I will say though, I didn't realize there were professional table-top game teams.

EDIT: I really ought to read these websites before I say stuff, huh? I didn't realize this wasn't a real team until I went to the site AFTER I posted and made myself look like an idiot.

ardeutsch

Nov 25, 2008
David (the executive producer) and I are always online, plus, we're hungry to find out what people think about the show. Also, I felt I needed to address the monthly release schedule plan.

troilus1

Nov 25, 2008
Hey guys. On behalf of GOLD I first wanna say that I in no way authorized Andrew's use of that ridiculous parrot pic as his avatar.

Now that the first episode is live and we've got a groove going on, I'm gonna spend some more time on the GOLD blog, talking about how we made this thing, in case you are interested. But, in a nutshell, Cousin_IT is right: our cast and crew are professionals, but they're mostly working on GOLD on a volunteer basis. Editing, color timing, sound clean-up, etc. can take considerable time on any project -- we're all doing GOLD around our day jobs, so the process gets drawn out more than we'd like. Believe me -- no one wants to get these things out onto the interwebs more than me. The monthly schedule was adopted reluctantly, to say the least, but it's the only way we can ensure every episode is as good as we all want it to be.

I can tell you that Season 1 will consist of six episodes (not counting the Prologue), and that we expect each episode to clock in at between 9 and 12 minutes. The season finale may be a little longer. Season 1 takes place over the course of a couple of weeks, two years after the action in the Prologue. A lot has changed for the team in that time, and a lot more is about to change. If you check out the trailer, you can get a little idea of what I mean: http://www.goblinsandgold.com/csp/gold/single_episode/gold_season_1_trailer_1

Thanks for the kind words about our endeavor here. Your support is the best reward we could hope for.

-D

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
This shit is fantastic. Seriously-- I crave more. As a PnP gamer myself I can't help but relate the characters to the band of nerds I roll with.

I'll be following this series closely.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Also, your required by law to have at least one "I Cast magic missle...on the darkness!" joke in your series at some point.

And Mountain Dew.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
That's really good! I'll be sure to catch the rest of it.

That GM is really awesome, I wish I could narrate anywhere near as well as him. My players are lucky if I can describe their opponents beyond "it's a big rat".

troilus1

Nov 25, 2008
Folks --

Just wanted to let you know that GOLD Episode 1 dropped last Friday, December 19. We've gotten some great feedback on it already. We also quietly posted a large group of killer desktop wallpapers last night, in case you (and the rest of the world) wanna stare at the stars of GOLD all day long while you work (you know you do).

www.goldtheseries.com
www.goldtheseries.com/downloads (for the wallpapers)

I hope you all have a great holiday season, and I wanna thank you for your support of GOLD.

David Nett
Creator, GOLD the Series
www.goldtheseries.com
can you take the hits?

troilus1

Nov 25, 2008
Just a heads-up for everyone: the new episode of GOLD (Episode 2 - To Find a King) is live at http://www.goldtheseries.com . a brief synopsis:

"As the World Championship looms ever closer, Richard struggles to bring his disjointed team together, while Jon and Jackson come to terms with their exclusion from the games. Meanwhile the British team learn of the new American line-up, which forces them to re-think their strategy, and Cissy confronts Jon about his attitude toward her and his injury."

The plot is unfolding, and you get your first glimpse at the British team. Please enjoy.

Thanks,

-David
Creator, GOLD
www.goldtheseries.com
can you take the hits?