GoldenEye 007 Fan Steers To Victory

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
GoldenEye 007 Fan Steers To Victory

Get it? Because he's using a steering wheel to play a game that wasn't designed for it!

I know, I'm a comic genius. Try to hold your applause until the end.

Alright, on with business. See that video embedded at top-right? That would be a YouTube user calling himself "welovelordtaco" playing the Nintendo 64's classic shooter GoldenEye 007 on the Project64 emulator with a Logitech DFGT steering wheel in place of the traditional three-pronged N64 controller.

That would be impressive enough, but if you stay through the end of the clip, you'll also notice that he completes the game's "Facility" level on the game's hardest difficulty in record time.

Meaning: This guy is better at GoldenEye while using a peripheral designed to steer virtual race cars, than you are with the console's first-party control device.

Now, before you start weeping and futilely slashing at your wrists in what is obviously a cry for help, keep in mind that the universe we live in is nothing if not hilariously ironic. Despite his mad skills at GoldenEye, I'm almost totally convinced that this guy has some crippling life deficiency. Like maybe he's terrible at driving games, or his left arm is actually an ocelot. That's just how the world works.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5893235/clearing-out-goldeneye-007-with-a-steering-wheel]

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!

That is EPIC. That's all I can say about that.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
I'm almost totally convinced that this guy has some crippling life deficiency. Like maybe he's terrible at driving games, or his left arm is actually an ocelot.
Yeah, as if that is actually a life deficiency ¬_¬

This video says quite a lot about the old "glidy car controls" games used to have, aye? =)

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
So what your saying is a guy with an ocelot as a left arm using a steering wheel is a better player than me using the first-party device? I'd be slashing my wrists even more frequently if I wasn't busy making squealing noises at how adorable his left arm is.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I'm almost totally convinced that this guy has some crippling life deficiency. Like maybe he's terrible at driving games, or his left arm is actually an ocelot.

This video says quite a lot about the old "glidy car controls" games used to have, aye? =)
Yeah, as if that is actually a serious statement...

I have actually always wanted to try playing games like this, but I never felt it was worth the price of a wheel just to get worse controls than you'd normally get...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok, now i wonder if hes going to do it with something even worse off like a fight stick...

DVS BSTrD said:
OT: If this guy had been born a salarian, he would have been the dominant sibling in his family.
Because he really knows how to pull through...

*puts on sunglasses*

... in a clutch
And THAT, boys and girls, is how you make a Mass Effect joke
A true masterwork.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
But he finishes it in 00 Agent Difficulty and not 007?
You might want to fix that.

Anyway, i remember using my steering wheel for some non-racing games too, though they were sports games usually.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Yopaz said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

I have actually always wanted to try playing games like this, but I never felt it was worth the price of a wheel just to get worse controls than you'd normally get...
Sorry that probably wasn't the best way to say that. I was saying it like it would be an awesome thing to have =)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Yopaz said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

Sorry that probably wasn't the best way to say that. I was saying it like it would be an awesome thing to have =)
In that case I have to agree fully.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
PoweD said:
But he finishes it in 00 Agent Difficulty and not 007?
You might want to fix that.

Anyway, i remember using my steering wheel for some non-racing games too, though they were sports games usually.
00 Agent is the toughest regular difficulty, 007 mode is unlocked after beating the game and allows to manually control enemy health and damage, etc.

One of the toughest unlocks in the game is invincibility mode, which comes from speed running this level on 00 agent difficulty in 2 minutes 5 seconds or less. It took so many tries that I remember all of those details 14 years later.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The only crippling life deficiency this guy has is not being able to live in a world where he can just do a single video without the press deciding off the cuff that he's got a crippling life deficiency, or is terrible at driving games and is crying for help.

Honestly, Earnest, quit stomping all over other people's achievements. Like that homemade helicopter guy. You know the one.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
When we had N64 we only had 2 controllers and steering wheel for it so when there were more than 2 players I used wheel to play. We played perfect dark and coldeneye.