Gonna buy a 3DS: Need help, stat!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm going to the gaming store to buy myself a Nintendo 3DS today. Now, the reason I'm doing this is that i was told you can play Visual Novels on a 3DS. So here's what I'm wondering:

1. Is the 3DS backwards compatible with regular DS games?

2. Can I play 3DS games on a regular DS?

3. What Visual Novels are available for the 3DS?

EDIT:
4. Are 3DS games or DS games region-locked?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
1.Yes, I just put in my copy of Pokemon Soulsilver. Besides a little trouble reading the cartridge, everything worked fine.

2.No

3. I think you have Ace Attorney and that's about it.

fhmy

Aug 2, 2010
Yes and no.

Regarding visual novels, beyond Ace Attorney, there's also Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Though you should play its predecessor 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors first, which shouldn't be a problem seeing how the 3DS is backwards compatible.

NinjaSniperAssassin

Sep 19, 2012
fhmy said:
Yes and no.

Regarding visual novels, beyond Ace Attorney, there's also Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Though you should play its predecessor 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors first, which shouldn't be a problem seeing how the 3DS is backwards compatible.
Yes. YEEEEEES. SO GOOOOOOD.

... Seriously though, this guy knows what he's talking about. If you like visual novels those two games are must-plays. You definitely need to play 999 first though, if only so the full weight of the twist at the end of VLR hits you. Like a truck. Riding on a rocket.

Another oft-forgotten visual novel I'll recommend is Hotel Dusk. It's an older DS game with some really brilliant puzzles that make full use of the DS system's capabilities, and a really cool story and art style. If you want a visual novel that'll make you think so far outside the box that you might as well be on a different planet, play this game.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Queen Michael said:
EDIT:
4. Are 3DS games or DS games region-locked?
3DS games are but DS games are not. So if you had a European 3DS you could play any region DS games on it but only European region 3DS games.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Devil Survivor Overclocked, though an SRPG, largely progresses through the story like a visual novel. I highly recommend grabbing it.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
If you're a big handed individual, get yourself an XL. My girlfriend loves the screen, but she can't stand the weight of it. As for your other questions, everyone else has posted the appropriate answers.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Also, if you're a guy you'll probably want the XL version. I never had a problem with the regular size, but then I have small hands. Most people on here say the XL is a must.